1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/7/14 8:16 p.m.

We know, those years aren't loved by all, but there's something about them. So the big debate: 1978 Pace Car or 1982 Collector Edition?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/7/14 8:18 p.m.

both.

Bank on them becoming classics in the coming years.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/7/14 8:26 p.m.

Just be sure to avoid the 1980, California emissions certified 305.

http://web-cars.com/corvette/1980.php 1980 was not a good year for Corvette buyers living in California. They were restricted to one engine choice, a 305 cu in. motor that was common to the other Chevrolet models that year. There was also only one available transmission - an automatic - no four speeds allowed. This was the result of the state's tougher emissions regulations. Automatic transmission equipped cars are easier to pass emissions certification since pushing in the clutch on a manual transmission causes a blip in the pollution output. This is not a problem with smooth shifting automatic transmissions which are equipped with torque convertors instead of clutches. The 305 cu. in. motor that California buyers were stuck with was rated at 180 hp, 10 hp less than the 350 cu. in. motor available in the other 49 states. A $50.00 credit was some consolation, but Corvettes sold to California residents came with the California emissions certification option; RPO YF5 for $250.00.

For 1982, the collector's edition year, the Corvette was only offered with an automatic trans.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
5/7/14 8:50 p.m.

I want a 73-75.. badly. The roadkill episode didn't help.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/7/14 8:53 p.m.

I would go '82...the last of an era.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/7/14 8:56 p.m.

Golly, the least desireable vintage of the least desireable body style. Lets go with, "Spend the money on pizza instead."

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
5/7/14 9:12 p.m.

awesome mid thread canoe

82 CE is a beautiful car. definitely my favorite C3.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
5/7/14 9:15 p.m.

The Pace Car paint and interior is cool, but a base model is a cheap price Vette waiting for a crate 383 or 350 SB.

parker
parker Reader
5/7/14 9:30 p.m.

Yes, it's wrong

1966stang
1966stang Reader
5/7/14 9:31 p.m.

I actually like these.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/7/14 9:42 p.m.

For some reason, I am drawn to 79 Corvettes; possibly the least desirable of all. I remember when they came out with the large glass rear window in 78 and I really liked it. Also, many of the 79's don't have the rear spoiler.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
5/7/14 9:43 p.m.

I'm quite polarized on C3's. Either give me an early chrome-bumper Stingray, or full-on Mark Hammil "Corvette Summer". 8)

Edit: In high-school, my dream build was an early C3 with Scyclone/Typhoon running gear.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/7/14 10:14 p.m.

No it's not wrong at all. C3 is my favorite of all the vettes. I'm not kidding.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/7/14 10:15 p.m.

I've seen resto-mod ones look badass.

David S. Wallens
5/7/14 10:17 p.m.

Hmmmm. Solo Nats 2015?

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
5/7/14 10:33 p.m.

This is the way to go:

Anything else is just wrong.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/7/14 10:36 p.m.

Dave, JG, you need to watch this:

Roadkill ep 27 - Sinkhole adventure

Now re-assess what you're thinking.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/7/14 10:40 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: This is the way to go: Anything else is just wrong.

My pants just got a little tighter

David S. Wallens
5/7/14 10:59 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
oldsaw wrote: This is the way to go: Anything else is just wrong.
My pants just got a little tighter

Give it the wraparound rear window and we have a winner. (Also, the steering wheel should be on the right-hand side.)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/7/14 11:01 p.m.

That picture reminds me of something

As for the C3, it's not interesting to me at all. Either go with the later, more competent cars or go with the cool looking C2. Since I wouldn't buy one, that means they're probably the best possible investment right now. I'm good like that.

David S. Wallens
5/7/14 11:02 p.m.

My favorite thing about these cars: Yeah, we gave you a trunk, but sorry there's no lid.

That rules.

I realize that the Sprite has the same awesome feature, but I still want a Vette.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
5/7/14 11:03 p.m.

This is one vehicle I promote an LS conversion for.

David S. Wallens
5/7/14 11:06 p.m.

I could totally see us rocking this on the Solo Nats grid.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
5/7/14 11:42 p.m.

I like C3 corvettes.

The C4 is ugly, unless you manage to buy a 1983 of course.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
5/8/14 1:42 a.m.

C3's aren't the best Corvettes, but they are arguably the some of the best looking. I also believe even the later ones are poised to become a solid vintage investment in the not too distant future. I'm particularly fond of the 80-82 style. The 78-79 are the ones that appeal to me the least though. IMHO the earlier style integrated bumper nose goes best with the flying buttress rear and without adding the later spoiler tail, while the later style integrated bumper nose goes best with the wrapped glass rear and spoiler tail. The earlier nose with the wrapped glass and non-spoiler tail just isn't as cohesive to me, and at least needs an air dam to help balance it out...And if it's going to have chrome bumpers, they should be on both ends.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xak5CFvKNIXvp3pBjU7vR9eJ21zkwUJkKtCcU7xr4SsN0ciWtn9YqISuasEpuYqp