It’s a sign. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
4/22/23 10:51 a.m.
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/22/23 3:48 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

That's...  Alarmingly close to me...  I have been interested in doing some kind of project like that...

Nope... Not gonna do it right now...

rpapy
rpapy New Reader
8/19/23 5:29 p.m.

Look up The Ragtime Racers on the web or Facebook.  That's our group.  We meet up 4 or 5 times a year at tracks like Indianapolis Motor Speedway,  Laguna Seca and others.  The main rule is that the cars have to be  pre-1920.  It's a total blast and really popular with the crowd.  By the way, that's me in the number 10 above, a 1908 Chalmers-Detroit Model 30 factory racer

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/19/23 5:52 p.m.

You rode on asphalt. Just to add to the thrill, most of the brass era driving and racing was on dirt and mud. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
8/19/23 6:20 p.m.

This site is full of the most heinously enabling people I've ever met in my life. 

I don't have time for a brass-era anything right now. 

Still gonna look, though.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/19/23 8:43 p.m.

This needs to become unofficial SCCA class as well. Steampunkwood. I want there to be a cold weather, dry, TSD rally as I'd purchase a tweed jacket to wear. And I'd finally have something for Coatesville Grand Prix and The Distinguished Race of Gentlemen. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/19/23 8:58 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I want there to be a cold weather, dry, TSD rally as I'd purchase a tweed jacket to wear.

That is me every time I would drive a 450SL or other 107 chassis Mercedes.  (It is 107, right?  Short wheelbase 2 seater things?)  

Gotta have the hat and string back gloves, as well.

spandak
spandak Dork
8/19/23 11:53 p.m.

The speedster in the video speaks to me. I don't think I would put a rotary in it but the aesthetic speaks to me on a deep level. 

Motorcycle tires is a genius move. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/20/23 4:53 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I think generally banning any engine newer than 1960 may be necessary, as an LS might squeak by the pushrod rule...  Certainly makes it interesting to figure out a build.

I mean, nothing later than 1950 would be great, but likely hard to do in budget

Although I admit to loving me some of this...

There are plenty of  1950's  and earlier motors.  Actually do we want  engines made in 1950 or earlier or designs made pre 1950?  
    For example the XPAG engine in MGT series was designed pre WW2  but used up to 1955.  
  If we shift just a little and say 1955  that's when the Chevy small block came out. It was still available in 1997.  Not exactly the feeling we're seeking.  

Some Triumph's were based on tractor design from that era as well.  Straight 8 Buicks were built in the 1930' s until 1953  Same with the Flathead ford 32-53 

Wire wheels should be mandatory. Or at least highly encouraged. Manual transmission.   Bonus points for hand crank.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/20/23 5:11 p.m.

TIL that 450SLs are not that expensive and 380SLs are not cheaper enough to suffer with.

How hard is it to find high quality 205/70R14 tires? 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
8/20/23 5:30 p.m.

I race lemons on 205/70R14s for two years. They are not good.  Our best results were generic all seasons, shaved to 3/32" and inflated to 45° hot.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
8/22/23 3:55 p.m.

I have an extra running and driving Model T for sale that could easily become a speedster.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/26/23 4:17 p.m.

MGT series had brass radiators. ( the grill shell also was brass but chrome plated. ). 
    Since  the XPAG engine in them was 54 horsepower it's not massively more powerful than a Ford Model A 

Most  had wire wheels ( or optional ) with hand crank and folding windshield. 
  If you've ever ridden in one the ride is exciting at speeds you won't get a speeding ticket.   You can reach  down and touch the pavement with the door closed. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
8/28/23 10:48 a.m.
buzzboy said:

I race lemons on 205/70R14s for two years. They are not good.  Our best results were generic all seasons, shaved to 3/32" and inflated to 45° hot.

I love blowing the minds of people who show up for track days in all season clad daily drivers by explaining that they're going to want their tire pressures north of 38, and often well into the 40s of PSI.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/4/24 11:40 a.m.

These cars fascinate me. There's something very raw, yet very pure about them. If you haven't seen these run in person, I'd encourage you to take the opportunity to do so. I'm jealous, though, that Chris got a ride in one!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/4/24 12:28 p.m.

It's funny this popped back up, because a friend of mine was opining over the weekend on how the time to buy one of these old Brass Era cars is right now. Prices have been falling into the basement on early and prewar cars lately, as the older guys that took interest in them are not wrenching as much as they used to, and that segment of the population is (unfortunately) shrinking by the day. If you have the interest, this is something to watch.  

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
3/19/24 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

You're spot on and I don't think they have bottomed out yet.  I sold the Model T I mentioned above and feel really really lucky to have made a few hundred over my initial $2500 purchase price.  If the once-common 5-speed is something young people don't want to deal with, the Model T is in the same category as powdered wigs and night soil men.  I think the old guys that maintained these cars, their culture, and their value are holding a hot potato to some extent.  I bought a 1919 T last year and the old guy was asking $10k.  I looked at it and eventually bought it six months later for $6k because that was the highest (and maybe only) offer he got.  I think I might have over paid.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
3/19/24 3:01 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BWOqOptI0w0F2P5hj1DTEf7fQoIWa4wSGBkUesbvqkSwtVC4w47IRiOEUaIfyaDo