ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
1/27/22 6:03 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fch6-FpTOS0

Is the new 2022 Subaru BRZ (and, by extension, the Toyota 86) an improvement over the previous generation, or is it the same performance package with a new face?

We looked under the hood and pushed it at the test track to find out.

Watch more videos

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/27/22 9:20 p.m.

I agree that the time difference between the CTR was suprising.

Kyngfish
Kyngfish New Reader
1/27/22 9:25 p.m.

Is the Grand Canyon "superfluous"? The Mona Lisa? laugh

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
1/27/22 10:33 p.m.

If you want to test a manual at COTA, let me know. You featured one of my other cars in the past, Atomic Betty, And I'm more than happy to toss you the keys for a proper test of the manual BRZ. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/28/22 8:57 a.m.

Was the 2020s on Primacy's vs the 2022 being on the stickier Limited tires? 

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
1/28/22 3:02 p.m.

How much is due to tire differences? IIRC, the old car had economy tires, the new has performance tires.

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/28/22 3:22 p.m.

Thanks Chris and JG. I just picked up a manual GR8 this week.  I haven't had the chance to do the track test but everything you are experiencing jives with my brief acquaintance with the car. I'm looking forward to putting it on track to get a true sense of the capabilities. 
Nice video. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/28/22 5:23 p.m.
BillKeksz said:

How much is due to tire differences? IIRC, the old car had economy tires, the new has performance tires.

The lower trim of the both new cars still has 17s and Primacy's. The Premium GR and Limited BRZ get the 18s and stickier tires. Hence my question just above yours. 

The BRZ also has aluminum knucked vs the previous gen for both and current gen GR. But I can't imagine that big of difference from the small weight difference. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/28/22 8:53 p.m.

The 2020 car we tested was on significantly crappier tires, but look at the data again: The cornering speeds aren't dramatically different. The real separation comes under power. Yeah there's spots where better exits lead to better straightaway speeds, but the acceleration graphs of the new car are consistently much steeper than the old car. 

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/29/22 9:41 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

I agree that the time difference between the CTR was suprising.

I was thinking I would hear Civic Si, but then I was a bit surprised as well.

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/12/22 7:34 a.m.

Chiming back in. I have crossed the 2500 mile mark. The car is quicker and even more capable than I originally thought. I am also able to bring on oversteer more easily due to increased power and torque and throttle steering is a breeze. It is very well balanced with a firm/not harsh ride. 
I don't need to wind it all the way up but it gets up in the revs quickly so that's starting to be a regular thing. 
The little issue i had with 5-6 quick shifts is gone so I am chaulking that up to getting my personal geometry down. 
It is a 10 for what i wanted and I like the way it looks too.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/12/22 2:25 p.m.

I love that blue! 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/12/22 4:05 p.m.

Great to hear you are happy with the car!  Patiently waiting for mine to be delivered...

I too love the blue

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/13/22 5:58 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

My guess (and my hope) is that you will be happy with your decision. 
We had a shop day at Ed Higginbotham's place yesterday and needed to make a bolt run to town. He test drove the GR86 and gave it two thumbs up. 
I let a couple of work mates take it around the business park also...they liked it and one is contemplating a purchase. 

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
2/13/22 3:45 p.m.

So how do one get a brand new 2022 BRZ/GR86 at close to MSRP?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
2/13/22 4:39 p.m.

Well, It was super easy till they shut down ordering. I got mine $500 under by walking in and placing an order. (Subaru loyalty cash) Literally, the whole process took 30 minutes within the dealership from the order to the paperwork when it arrived. Easiest process ever. 

Now without ordering being possible, I would say good luck. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/13/22 9:07 p.m.
ea_sport said:

So how do one get a brand new 2022 BRZ/GR86 at close to MSRP?

I wouldn't be surprised if you to have to wait for a 2023.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
2/14/22 8:54 a.m.

In reply to ea_sport :

Contact your local dealer Subaru and Toyota they are still getting some in but you won't be able to cherry pick colors. 

I was late to the party and tried to get a Neptune blue GR86. One of my local dealers recently had one coming in then dropped the bomb that it was an automatic. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
2/14/22 8:55 a.m.

In reply to ea_sport :

Contact your local dealer Subaru and Toyota they are still getting some in but you won't be able to cherry pick colors. I haven't had an issue with local dealers actual charging over MSRP to local buyers. They seem to waive the market adjustment for potential future customers. 

I was late to the party and tried to get a Neptune blue GR86. One of my local dealers recently had one coming in then dropped the bomb that it was an automatic. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x8uwNJWKuKgi5iP5u3wx9bPtqzVEO7x8WnfSO7YSB6GOXtT3SxDFmd4IlHu7hUy7