1 2
kreb
kreb SuperDork
7/18/12 9:49 a.m.

I still hear ads where they breathlessly gush over rack-and-pinion steering, disc brakes and overhead cam engines. Methinks this is a tempest in a teapot. Yet another curious attack on the Toybaru twins. I wish they'd just pull that crap off the market!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/18/12 9:56 a.m.

" tempest in a teapot"

• What exactly does that mean? One of those sayings I hear now and then, but have no idea what it means.
kreb
kreb SuperDork
7/18/12 10:04 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Use your imagination. The imagery's fairly explicit.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
7/18/12 10:24 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: " tempest in a teapot" - What exactly does that mean? One of those sayings I hear now and then, but have no idea what it means.

from wiki. Tempest in a teapot (American English), or storm in a teacup (British English), is an idiom meaning a small event that has been exaggerated out of proportion. There are also lesser known or earlier variants, such as tempest in a teacup, storm in a cream bowl, tempest in a glass of water, storm in a wash-hand basin,[1] and storm in a glass of water.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/18/12 10:24 a.m.

I've just started thinking this toyobaru crap is the next installment of two girls and a cup.....

That said, has Scion ever actively advertised a product before??? Subaru does these days, but always their bread and butter cars, never the performance models.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/18/12 10:56 a.m.
jimbob_racing wrote:
bravenrace wrote: " tempest in a teapot" - What exactly does that mean? One of those sayings I hear now and then, but have no idea what it means.
from wiki. Tempest in a teapot (American English), or storm in a teacup (British English), is an idiom meaning a small event that has been exaggerated out of proportion. There are also lesser known or earlier variants, such as tempest in a teacup, storm in a cream bowl, tempest in a glass of water, storm in a wash-hand basin,[1] and storm in a glass of water.

Thanks. I was waiting with bated breath for an answer. Oh wait...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
7/18/12 10:57 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: VW invented the Microbus, Chrysler invented the Minivan. There's a HUGE difference.

The only difference is time.

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
7/18/12 11:56 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Hey, Lexus invented steerable headlights a few year back. Chevrolet invented the cannister oil filter for the Ecotec engine. If we're not careful they will invent epicyclic transmissions next!

Apparently Evans invented reverse-flow cooling, too.

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
7/18/12 12:02 p.m.

I sure did.

Oh, nevermind...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
7/18/12 1:49 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: VW invented the Microbus, Chrysler invented the Minivan. There's a HUGE difference.
The only difference is time.

and nomenclature

and for those who are trying to teach me that Citroen didn't invent the steerable lights... please re-read what I wrote... all I said was

oldeskewltoy wrote: Lexus wasn't even a glint in Toyota's eye when Citroen put steerable headlights on the SM.......

I never mentioned invented it......

I knew other cars had steerable headlights(Tucker for example... but slipped my mind), I put the SM in there because I believe it was the most recent attempt before Lexus...

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/24/12 10:42 p.m.
kreb wrote: I still hear ads where they breathlessly gush over rack-and-pinion steering, disc brakes and overhead cam engines. Methinks this is a tempest in a teapot. Yet another curious attack on the Toybaru twins. I wish they'd just pull that crap off the market!

this is the internet. everything is a tempest in a teapot.

I personally like it when cars still tout "standard ABS and stability control." Last I checked all new cars are required by law to have both of those things. GM is the worst offender in this, as I recall.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/24/12 10:46 p.m.

Also think it's funny that the thing that Scion is touting is the one part of the car that was entirely designed by SUBARU. I mean, why not stick with regular Scion advertising touting radio speakers that flash colors when the bass hits, and iPod controllers, and lip spoilers, and other stupid E36 M3 that scion buyers (mostly females and high school guys) are looking for.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
7/24/12 11:54 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I think the articles I read on why they were touting it as a drivers car is to attract the more 30+ buyers. When Scion was established it was meant to be a youth brand for the 18 to 20 somethings. The problem is that the 20 somethings are now graduating college tens of thousands of dollars in debt and having issues finding jobs. So when you're 70k in the hole after being promised by your college recruiter you'd come out making 50k+ a year and you're making 25k because there's very few jobs in your chosen field, you don't exactly have the disposable income to spend on a lifestyle car.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/25/12 6:36 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Hey, Lexus invented steerable headlights a few year back. Chevrolet invented the cannister oil filter for the Ecotec engine. If we're not careful they will invent epicyclic transmissions next!

...and Mitsubishi invented the process of using beads and stamped contours to strengthen a broad piece of sheet metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFRLogGl_k0

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lTdugOxJ5yxOnY0NLIV2eQX9ONtCHAxEBPRXaDX8oC5wK2nsC3xK7LrstATZ5m8k