wannabewrench
wannabewrench New Reader
6/17/09 1:58 p.m.

I have a really short attention span with cars. When I see one on the road that I happen to like at that moment, I start dreaming of ownership. I saw a 380SL this morning that was just gorgeous but I seem to remember that they rode like land yachts. Is there a way to make them handle?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
6/17/09 2:23 p.m.

All i know about them is that they have a recirculating ball steering system.... Saying that it's "vague" would be the best thing i could ever say about it.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
6/17/09 2:36 p.m.

You'd need to get rid of the electronics as well. To keep the little old ladies from driving erratically they put a delay in just about every input you can give to a car. Steering, brakes, throttle, etc.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/17/09 2:43 p.m.

I can't remember seeing any set up for handling other than being lowered with Ronal or AMG rims. I'm sure there were a few.The majority (in my experience) were stone stock with maybe some Dayton's, or the German high dollar equivalent spokes.

I always thought that they were more of a Touring car.

However, BAT had some pics of racing and Rallying Mercs that had me at half-mast.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
6/17/09 3:41 p.m.

I think AMG's solution is "POOOOWWEEEEEEER!". So the obvious thing to do is install an LS1. Then the handling won't matter any more.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
6/17/09 3:56 p.m.

I've driven several AMGs and vague is still the best word to describe them. Now if we had an autobahn over here, I might change my mind.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/17/09 4:04 p.m.

John olson make sport springs but they are expensive (800$). The issue with the sl is it doesn't have the rigidity of the slc, and is also 1ft shorter wheelbase than the slc.

The best thing to do is put new front suspension bushings on the car and an alignment. I mean all the rubber you can get at, these cars are heavy and they need rubber bits and pieces. Maybe a set of bilstein or koni shocks. The real issue with people saying these cars don't handle is they never put the foot down, bit their lip and threw the car through a turn. You have to muscle them a little, it might not be pretty but it works.

I don't know of any electrics in the steering(PS) or throttle(linkage + vacuum). The brakes are great on my car. It isn't electrical thing you need to worry but vacuum maximus. Everything from the door locks to the AC runs off vacuum unless you get the car with an AC servo.

There are people who race SLCs but I haven't heard much of people racing the SLs.

The real issue with the 380 is the engine is really anemic, I think like 160HP verses 185HP for my eurospec I6.

If you don't think the cars can handle take a look at this.

http://www.slcracing.eu/

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
6/17/09 4:09 p.m.

Yeah, don't bother. No Mercedes I ever drove handled in a manner than can be called sporty - including my 98 SLK 230. The newest SLK is OK but still not as sporty feeling as its competition.

Like the previous poster stated, everything is slowed down. Steering is slow and a bit vague. Brakes are overboosted. Throttle pedal is long and doesn't engage aggressively. Even worse on the older cars.

M030
M030 Reader
6/17/09 7:38 p.m.

I had a Euro-spec 1980 280SL (same 107 chassis as US-Spec 450/380/560SL) for a few years. It had the twin-cam straight 6 and a four speed manual transmission.

I badly wanted to make a sports car out of it. I felt the chassis was fairly rigid for a 30 y/o convertible but, even after a set of no-name "sport springs" I got from Germany, a set of Konis and 17" AMG wheels, it still drove like a Buick.

I loved the car, but it was fun for different reasons than sports cars are fun. It was fun to look at, it sounded like a BMW and the 17's greatly improved the steering feel.

Biggest surprise? It would have been better with an automatic (and I detest automatics). The gearshift, even after I rebuilt it, simply sucked.

If I could have somehow made it steer and shift like BMW, it would have been a blast. So, therein lies the problem - the car was designed from the outset to be a "cruiser" not a sports car. It would take a lot of time, money and re-engineering to make it drive like a sports car.

Just my .02

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/17/09 8:22 p.m.

Good to know it isn't worth modifying my car for performance. I know on the 107 forum everyone makes a big deal about the manual trans cars so it is interesting to hear the 4sp isn't all it is cracked up to be. All I know about the 4sp auto in my car is it starts off in 2nd for some unknown reason, it is like a 3speed but from what I hear if you pound the pedal it will start off in first but hell if I know.

Are there any cars from the 70s or 80s that weigh 3500lbs and handle well?

M030
M030 Reader
6/17/09 9:39 p.m.

benzbaron,

if you get a chance, go drive a manual transmission W123 car (like a 240D - still plenty of them around) and you'll get a really good feel for how the 107 cars shift with a manual transmission. The shifter has very long throws and is, well, rubbery.

That being said, my "dream build" for my 280SL included the following:

• 275hp C36 AMG twin-cam six with pre-OBD2 EFI (can be physically installed with engine mounts from Euro R107 300SL)

• 5-spd manual from a W124 car (bolts to said C36 engine, but would require custom driveshaft)

• (1981-only) 380SL 3.27 rear end gears

Then, it would have at least been fast without sticking a heavy M117 (SOHC) or M119 (DOHC) V8 up front.

As for handling well, I think the 107 cars do handle well. They are just not built to be back-road stormers like Porsche or BMW. I find that they are competent handlers that understeer mildly but they are not "tossable" and therefore not much fun when thought of as a sports car.

Interestingly, the "vague" on-center steering feel was actually built in intentionally, as MB expected these cars to be driven at high speeds on the autobahn. Or so goes the story...

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/17/09 10:15 p.m.

Thanks for the information M030, I'll have to see about driving a manual diesel. I guess people covet whatever it is they can't have.

I guess the jist of all this is that it doesn't matter if you spend 2000$ on shocks/springs/etc it isn't going to vastly improve the handling to something like a bmw or porsche. The mercedes aren't naturals at it but you can surprise people. Take a look at how the Aussies handle them; I don't know if this link will work but I'll give it a try.

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=204409&limit=&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=0&way=

nocones
nocones New Reader
6/17/09 10:43 p.m.

My mom has a 1978 280SL and Vauge is a good word to describibe it. The 280sl has a "L" that will start the trans off in 1st and then shift to second. Otherwise it just starts in 2nd and never uses first. I too thought it VERY stiff for a 30 year old car. Jack up one corner and the doors still work like a bank vault.

M030
M030 Reader
6/18/09 7:22 a.m.
benzbaron wrote: Are there any cars from the 70s or 80s that weigh 3500lbs and handle well?

Porsche 928

RossD
RossD Reader
6/18/09 8:11 a.m.

I have a non-eligant answer to the handling question. Buy a book about building your own suspension and throw in your own a-arms and rack and pinion steering. Think of it as building the suspension of a locost but on a Merc. That way you can pick easily sourced parts (including brakes) and keep repairs cheaper in the future. Oh, and drop a half of a metric tonne out of it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZS7tRveUndloSwzO6ik1f69nwpm0T0flEAguuAUlX2GeSG9HeIZ3rJgtW60BnBgj