EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
11/26/12 1:26 p.m.

The "Stick-on BOV" is a horn.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/26/12 1:27 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote: Ha ha ha - I like the bumper attached by rubber o-rings.
Yeah I was impressed at this bit of engineering he put into making his car stupid.

This.

Rigging your car for incorrect wheels with incorrect offsets does not make you cool. Makes you a moron.

May God have mercy on those wheel bearings... because this kid won't...

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 New Reader
11/26/12 1:32 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: commenter said: Most people like this style. The car can corner really well actually, and is still very fast. I would venture to say lap time of slammed vs stock around tsukuba, slammed would win just out of sheer physics. Lower center of gravity, wider stance, typically stickier tires, and an overall less wind drag b/c there is no air under the car. While it may not be a "rally" car anymore and be able to jump or go off road, it sure as hell isn't slow or unable to corner. Bro.

Fwiw a stock suspension wrx would rape this. The roll center is underground and it couldn't touch a curb or go down the corkscrew without needing a tow. Ppl...

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/26/12 1:37 p.m.

:shrug: car love is car love. I don't judge how you express love to other humans, not going to judge with cars either. If it's not criminal, do what you want.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/26/12 1:41 p.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

subaru problems..

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 New Reader
11/26/12 1:43 p.m.

Stanced car skillfully handling small bump below:

http://youtu.be/nGu8FPRDiSk

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
11/26/12 1:51 p.m.

Totally Bro

Hal
Hal Dork
11/26/12 2:02 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Rigging your car for incorrect wheels with incorrect offsets does not make you cool. Makes you a moron.

No, it makes you someone who likes to learn about things the hard way.

This type of "car guy" has been around forever. Might even have a few on this forum. Either they learn thier lesson or give up on cars altogether.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/26/12 2:07 p.m.
AtticusTurbo27 wrote: Stanced car skillfully handling small bump below: http://youtu.be/nGu8FPRDiSk

And this is why I hope a lot of these tools get pulled over and ticketed by LEOs before this kind of crap happens.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
11/26/12 2:20 p.m.

I don't mind the kid doing the video. He should realize that he was setting himself up for criticism just by posting it though. Is the car modded the way I'd like ? No, but then I'm old enough to be his father , or maybe grandfather (that hurt) and I have very different tastes. I'm not into lowriders, or hellaflush, or jacked up trucks ,or any number of other vehicle styles, but IT'S NOT MY CAR. It's his and he's allowed to do what ever he wants to it. I've modded my cars over the years and used lowering springs, coil overs, sway bars etc. to suit my tastes and purposes at the time. If the young man is a car enthusiast he will go through several different styles/phases throughout his life. Good for him. The car habit is alive and well .

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/26/12 2:34 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I don't mind the kid doing the video. He should realize that he was setting himself up for criticism just by posting it though. Is the car modded the way I'd like ? No, but then I'm old enough to be his father , or maybe grandfather (that hurt) and I have very different tastes. I'm not into lowriders, or hellaflush, or jacked up trucks ,or any number of other vehicle styles, but IT'S NOT MY CAR. It's his and he's allowed to do what ever he wants to it. I've modded my cars over the years and used lowering springs, coil overs, sway bars etc. to suit my tastes and purposes at the time. If the young man is a car enthusiast he will go through several different styles/phases throughout his life. Good for him. The car habit is alive and well .

This.

lastsnare
lastsnare New Reader
11/26/12 2:36 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I don't mind the kid doing the video. He should realize that he was setting himself up for criticism just by posting it though. Is the car modded the way I'd like ? No, but then I'm old enough to be his father , or maybe grandfather (that hurt) and I have very different tastes. I'm not into lowriders, or hellaflush, or jacked up trucks ,or any number of other vehicle styles, but IT'S NOT MY CAR. It's his and he's allowed to do what ever he wants to it. I've modded my cars over the years and used lowering springs, coil overs, sway bars etc. to suit my tastes and purposes at the time. If the young man is a car enthusiast he will go through several different styles/phases throughout his life. Good for him. The car habit is alive and well .

Amen.

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive New Reader
11/26/12 2:54 p.m.

I help run the car club at my college. A lot of the kids eat this stuff up. You post this video here and we all get a good laugh, but I bet if I posted it on my club's page many of the kids would be drooling over it, not ridiculing it.

I have been taking club members that are into this "stance" scene and getting them to co-drive my car at autocrosses. One by one they start modifying their rides with more than looks in mind, or buy something cheap like a miata to get into motorsports with. Makes me feel like I am doing my part in helping guide the younger enthusiasts down the right path :P

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/26/12 3:16 p.m.

Indeed.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
11/26/12 3:34 p.m.

In reply to wrongwheeldrive:

Good on ya.

I went through this process with my younger brother. He's in the VW scene, was big into stance/flush/lowlow. Had to twist his arm (actually think I paid his entry fee for the first event), but got him to an autocross. We were slow as can be, but he caught the bug. In the 6 months since then, he's abandoned several VW forums he had previously frequented because they turned up their noses him for wanting to go racing. He hasn't looked back.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
11/26/12 3:48 p.m.

I can't stand this stuff. This kid is probably only a few years younger than me and, as someone else stated, I feel like he represents 80% of my generation of car enthusiasts. It gives us all a bad reputation and, frankly, I think it diverts attentions from areas of automotive enthusiasm and motorsports with far more value. There will never be any contributions to automotive technology or motorsports that come out of this movement. At best they might be a cash cow for companies doing real innovation since they seem to buy anything that's brightly colored and aftermarket.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/26/12 3:53 p.m.

I have said it once and I will say it again the current stance thing is no different then the '70s custom van thing or the jacked up rear on some old cars or the body kits of the '90s. Fads come and go and this isn't the first one.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
11/26/12 4:32 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I have said it once and I will say it again the current stance thing is no different then the '70s custom van thing or the jacked up rear on some old cars or the body kits of the '90s. Fads come and go and this isn't the first one.

Precisely !! When I was a teenager everybody was shackling up the rear of their drum-braked Chevelles. How safe was that !! It didn't make them faster, or brake better, or turn better, but it was cool for the times. No different today. I like the idea of getting a bunch of them out to an autocross and whip their butts in a properly set up car. Let them drive it,too. That way they can't pass it off as getting beaten by an experienced autocrosser.

I wonder if I could make afew bucks if I could get the hellaflush Subie crowd into shag interiors? Hmmmm?

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
11/26/12 4:46 p.m.
AtticusTurbo27 wrote: Stanced car skillfully handling small bump below: http://youtu.be/nGu8FPRDiSk

That video being shot in Russia, I suspect other problems involved.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/26/12 4:50 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I have said it once and I will say it again the current stance thing is no different then the '70s custom van thing or the jacked up rear on some old cars or the body kits of the '90s. Fads come and go and this isn't the first one.

except the vans were usually still functional as vans- or at least able to take speed bumps without slowing down to 1/2 mph and hitting the exact approach angle that wouldn't destroy things- and the jacked up "stink bug" stance of the 70's and 80's didn't really hurt the driveability of the cars in any way and you could drop the air shocks in 30 seconds if you wanted a good ride for whatever reason.

Will
Will Dork
11/26/12 5:45 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: You're reading YouTube comments? There's your mistake right there. I've got a Firefox plugin that hides comments based on grammar and spelling. It's awesome.

Ditto. Mine replaces all YT comments with "herp derp."

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
11/26/12 6:10 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
except the vans were usually still functional as vans- or at least able to take speed bumps without slowing down to 1/2 mph and hitting the exact approach angle that wouldn't destroy things- and the jacked up "stink bug" stance of the 70's and 80's didn't really hurt the driveability of the cars in any way and you could drop the air shocks in 30 seconds if you wanted a good ride for whatever reason.

Vans awesome!

Stance is lame

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/26/12 6:11 p.m.
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) wrote: Totally Bro

Makes me wanna give up on rally, sell all my gear and just be a snowboard bum or possibly knitting...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/26/12 6:30 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) wrote: Totally Bro
Makes me wanna give up on rally, sell all my gear and just be a snowboard bum or possibly knitting...

Talked to a guy who pitted next to him at a rally out west this summer. He had a single open trailer and Block had two semis. Turns out Block was really nice. And huge. But nice. His crew was awesome as well and when Block didn't break the car and they had spare time, they rewired the intercom in my friends car just for something to do. The whole conversation made me want to rally even more.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/26/12 6:38 p.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dh4fDnFkT48WL7iv9TaNYEqLumLs9NmlpxaPoQJd8ZbKNqsfYR5baJZMaqzrMxUW