1 2 3
Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/25/22 8:23 a.m.

I have it on my 2020 Civic Si and I like it. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
10/25/22 8:34 a.m.

I think the implementation of driver assist features is going to be a huge differentiator on new car purchases. I rent a lot of cars for work so I am getting to try different systems out. You get no training, and little time to adapt to the new systems in that environment. For me the Toyota ones are about the worst I have experienced. I found it too strong on the wheel, the sounds annoying, hard to turn off. I always felt like the car was controlling me a little too much in a way that I wasn't comfortable with. I have a CRV at home and for me Honda did a good job, I can override it comfortably, it is off if I left it off and it is helpful when I want it. It isn't perfect and I would ask for some changes if I could but it is net positive. 

Dear Honda, please let it lane hold without my input for longer on the highway also give me a way to turn off adaptive cruise control if I choose or if snow and ice get on the sensor.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/25/22 8:34 a.m.

Depends on the car imo. In the Subarus and Toyotas I have driven with them on, I had to turn it off. The Mazdas and Hondas were fine.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/25/22 8:46 a.m.

I really don't like any assists in my cars. My Merc has an early version of lane assist that I turned off.  The one auto function it has that I do like is the auto high beams.  They work really well. 

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
10/25/22 9:48 a.m.
NY Nick said:

Dear Honda, please let it lane hold without my input for longer on the highway also give me a way to turn off adaptive cruise control if I choose or if snow and ice get on the sensor.

On the newer Honda's, you have to push the 'MAIN' button on the steering wheel. That will turn off the ACC and LKAS

trucke
trucke SuperDork
10/25/22 10:21 a.m.

My 2022 Civic Si has it and it works great on the highway when there are clearly painted lines.  It drops when going by on/off ramps.  First tried it when I couldn't figure out how to eat my ice cream without wrecking on I85 in Charlotte, NC.  With LKAS and ACC I was able to enjoy my treat!  Not exactly a good influence for my daughter as we were just coming home from her attending the B.R.A.K.E.S. driver training program.

LKAS does not like anything beyond a gentle bend in the road.  It also fights you if you change lanes without a blinker, which is not really an issue.  I don't like it when it fights me when I'm trying to drift within my lane to avoid a pothole.  It likes to stay centered.

ACC in the Civic is easily switched to normal cruise control.  With cruise 'on' but not engaged, press and hold the ACC lane following distance button until it switches (the button that looks like a car pooping).  Same process to engage ACC.  I leave it set on normal cruise as I don't like it when the car I'm following can't maintain speed.  The slowing is way more abrupt that when I'm in control.  When you make me a bobble head, I turn you off!

The ACC icon is a speedometer with car in the upper corner.  Normal cruise icon is just a speedometer icon.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
10/25/22 10:28 a.m.

Don't worry, in ten years you won't be allowed to drive.  You'll call an electric toaster on wheels to pick you up with the Nueralink in your brain.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/25/22 10:40 a.m.

I rented a Kia earlier this year and thought those controls were poorly implemented as well. It was a pita to turn off too. 
I actually thought something in the suspension had broken at first since I didn't know these sorts of features had been implemented. Took a few more miles to understand what was happening. Then 15 minutes of rtfm to figure out how to turn it off. 

BA5
BA5 Reader
10/25/22 11:05 a.m.

I have all the lane keeping goodies on my Honda Odyssey.  I love them, especially on long trips.  I get so much less fatigued over the course of the trip.

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/25/22 11:52 a.m.

A few thoughts from someone who's been reviewing cars and using all these systems a good amount...

There is a difference between Lane Keep ("I'm wandering out of my lane, keep me in it") and Lane Centering ("the car is actively keeping me in the lane and handling most steering inputs") - and the marketing around them sucks. Lane Keep came first and was marketed/people interpreted it to be Lane Centering. 

Past that, once you are in a car with actual Lane Centering, some systems are really good, some are "fine" and some are actively awful. Toyota's is toward the not-great end of my personal scale. Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis are some of the best. Subaru's EyeSight is terrible. They are all at their peak performance on roads with clearly defined lane markings, no construction with things zooping around in weird directions, and more straight line than lots of curves. You have to keep your hand(s) on the wheel with enough weight to let the system know you are there. 

Where things get really wild is with GM's SuperCruise and to a lesser extent, Ford's BlueCruise. They are highway-only systems that not only use cameras and sensors, but have the highways mapped out. They are true hands-off systems that can negotiate big curves and everything without your input. SuperCruise (on Silverado and Sierra) will even let you tow a trailer hands-free. It is wildly good and I have now put ~1,000 miles between two trucks, 80% of those being with my hands in my lap and my 20' enclosed trailer behind me. You have to keep your head mostly looking forward though you can check mirrors and look out the windows a bit. 

Tesla's systems fit into these categories as well, "Autopilot" is the same basic adaptive cruise control and Lane Centering and "Full Self Driving Beta" is their attempt to do SuperCruise but without mapped roads or sensors - camera only. I find it to be a dangerous implementation but that is another discussion for another time.

Here's how SuperCruise worked - it was truly insane to experience. I just got back from another VIR trip with a Sierra, same very positive experience.

This tech is all evolving rapidly but it's really cool for long, boring highway slogs and reduces cognitive load quite a bit.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/25/22 2:10 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

We were supposed to have flying cars 20 years ago.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
10/25/22 3:26 p.m.

This is one of those techs I don't want in my vehicle but it would be great if everyone else had it! It drives me crazy driving around the city watching people drift in and out of bike lanes or across the middle line for no other reason than they are a terrible driver.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/22 4:04 p.m.

The one in the CX5 we rented last year was bad. Miami interstate construction f'd that thing up. It was trying to pull me all over the road. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/25/22 4:13 p.m.

My wife has a 2022 RAV4 and the only good thing about Toyota's implentation of it is that it stays off when you turn it off.

clshore
clshore Reader
10/25/22 5:59 p.m.

We've got a new Kia Soul.
The Lane Assist and most other features are configurable and can be disabled.

It gives a gentle tug on the wheel, like running over slightly uneven pavement, easy to anticipate
and to ignore, a steady hand on the wheel shows it who's boss,else it tries to do the right thing.

Funny thing is, now when I drive my 2016 Colorado, I kind of miss having the backup, I've gotten used
not having to devote 100% of my attention to just keeping it between the edges.

Not something I'd want for my Spitfires or GT6, those demand full attention and engagement, and reward
drivers who commit to giving it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/25/22 6:49 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Will the Neurolink allow me to mentally create music and art?  Because I have some bitchin' guitar solos I can't play and some sweet art I can't draw, but they are up here *taps head*

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/25/22 7:03 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

If the neurolink allowed people to veiw what's in my mind, I'd be sent to prison.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
10/25/22 7:59 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed : 

They have been around for a while, but most people can barely handle two dimensions, let alone three.  Plus, a little incident a hair over 21 years ago has made the idea of readily available flying devices a scary proposition.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/26/22 7:16 a.m.

Both my Forte GT and the wife's new Mazda CX-50 have it. They can be adjusted on both cars for sensitivity and involvement. On my car, it ranges from shaking the wheel and an audio warning to a "JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL!!!" yanking the wheel out of your hand. I usually rely on the blind spot monitoring, but I find the medium strength "gentle nudge" setting useful in some situations. 

That said, I absolutely LOVE blind spot monitoring. 100% onboard with that technology. 

wae
wae PowerDork
10/26/22 8:51 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

That said, I absolutely LOVE blind spot monitoring. 100% onboard with that technology. 

The trouble I have with blind spot monitoring systems is when I'm driving a car without them.  After driving the Merc around for a while, I have to be really careful when I get back into the truck.  "No red light in the mirror, I can change lanes!" doesn't apply when there are no lights at all!  I mean, I don't just turn off my eyeballs and trust the system, but guess I do get people a little worried because instead of looking, signaling, looking again, and then changing lanes, I'll signal first then start looking because I don't see the little red triangles.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/26/22 8:58 a.m.

How do all these systems work on salt or slush covered roads? Sounds like construction zones are problems, will Northern winters just turn the highways into bumper cars?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/26/22 9:17 a.m.
RevRico said:

How do all these systems work on salt or slush covered roads? Sounds like construction zones are problems, will Northern winters just turn the highways into bumper cars?

In my Fusion at least, if the system can't see the side lines, it just deactivates.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
10/26/22 9:41 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
RevRico said:

In my Fusion at least, if the system can't see the side lines, it just deactivates.

Rented a Fusion a couple of years ago for a December trip from Montreal to Toronto. It started to snow as I was approaching the Ontario border and the lane system was getting really confused and almost sent me in the ditch in the weirdest of ways. I really thought something terrible had broken on the car. Thankfully the system disengaged not long after.

I hate all those systems because I've never experienced one that is well calibrated for winter driving. They are easily confused, their sensors are easily rendered inoperable and they seem to react weirdly to cold temperatures (-15f and under). Heck, most traction control systems (which is pretty old tech at this point) are not well calibrated for winter driving. They all tend to be too slow to react and then over-reacting...useless.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/26/22 9:59 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

My wife's accord did well in the snow last January but I had cleaned off the camera and radar before I went out. 

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
10/26/22 10:23 a.m.

Reading many of these posts, I have to wonder about the cited adjustments made to driving style.

Recall one of the hallowed covenants of track driving is to be aware of adjustments you are making around the car's inadequacies or habits. Either proceed with knowledge, remove the deficiency from the car, or find a different car that doesn't require adjusted driving styles. Are all these habit-adjusting trinkets really supporting our best interest as track enthusiasts? Sure, some may be helpful on the daily slog, and many are crutches for plain-ol bad driving exhibited by the majority of the non-enthusiast driving public. Just don't get sucked into complacency.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CNDZOxOlV9gLzetVhhfyf0N9lPmIVj8qjTlnlIihi0sM16gaEtUS97cBJQ9nlBJm