Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/15/24 8:57 a.m.

I was already looking for a reasonably priced MR2 or Miata to have as a weekend fun-time car.  Yes, in addition to the 944 turbo...

With the recent chance of rallycross returning to my area, I thought maybe something I don't mind getting dirty?  Looking at the usual suspects, I saw a '90 Toyota Celica about 2hrs away that was already race-prepped to some degree.  Turned out to be a car driven in the 1990 Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race and driven by Dwight Yoakam.  He redid it, added an interior & glass, and has quite a bit ready like coilovers, battery relocate, cage, etc.

I didn't even care about the pedigree, $8k sounded like a fair amount for a ready-to-go car.

Then last night, I messaged the guy that bought Snoopy, my '02 WRX back in 2020 to pay for my big roof repair.  I said RX might be coming back and asked if by any chance he was bored with it.  He replied he was actually considering selling to by something else, had put maybe 1K miles on it in 4 years...  I woke up to multiple messages that he was indeed interested, here's everything I've done since then, and a recent photo including the new trunk with STI wing and RPF1 wheels.

My brain as I went to bed last night, what if I bought both and sold the 944 turbo?  Then I have rallycross and winter fun car, collectible race car that would be interesting at Cars and Coffee, and I really haven't gotten that invested in the Porsche if I'm honest.

My name is Jerry and I have a problem.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/15/24 4:41 p.m.

Umm, rallycross may be coming back to the area?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/15/24 4:49 p.m.
Piguin
Piguin Reader
2/16/24 5:53 a.m.

Do it.

What is the point of a fun car you don't actually enjoy?  The idea of owning a 944 turbo sounds enticing, but it feels like it hasn't translated to actual enjoyment in your case.

Fingers crossed for the return.

OLDYLR
OLDYLR Dork
2/16/24 7:05 a.m.

Isn't 2 always better than 1?  Im betting a lot more fun would be had with the 2 cars since they would be used more. 

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Dork
2/16/24 8:54 a.m.

A 944 Turbo is a dream car of mine but I couldn't pass on the pedigree of that celica and also having a car to RX. 

I'm all for moving on from cars you don't love. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/16/24 9:05 a.m.

Chatted with WRX friend last night and this morning.  We've 99% settled on a price we both enjoy & just waiting to see if his dad still has the winter wheels/tires he left in the garage out of town.  Said he'll be talking to him this weekend.

I was talking to SWMBO about this all this morning.  I've been trying to make myself love the 944, but it just isn't doing it for me.  She mentioned a road trip to see the race car and I admitted if I had to pick a car for a fun road trip it would be the BRZ...

She said basically the same thing.  "You wanted to try different cars, it's been a year, if it isn't something you love put out feelers and go with this".  So, here we go.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
2/16/24 11:17 a.m.

Buy all the race cars Jerry!  Love the idea of RallyX coming back to the area.  That would be enough to motivate me to build something silly to come play with you guys.  Rabbit is too pretty for RallyX.  

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
2/16/24 11:23 a.m.

If you do sell the 944 turbo, you may end up ahead on it. They seem to be appreciating nicely. Take the time to get it tip-top, detailed, etc and see if BaT or C&B will take it!

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/16/24 12:35 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Between the price my WRX friend & I are talking, and the $8K for the Celica, I'm 99.9% sure I will come out ahead.  I've been following a number of 944 groups on Facebook and seeing selling prices.  (Um, if anyone here is interested in a deal.......)

nakmuayfarang
nakmuayfarang New Reader
2/16/24 2:57 p.m.

That Celica is sweet!

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
2/16/24 3:35 p.m.

Have not seen pics of the 944 but that would be a SWEET 3 car garage!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
2/16/24 3:52 p.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to dyintorace :

Between the price my WRX friend & I are talking, and the $8K for the Celica, I'm 99.9% sure I will come out ahead.  I've been following a number of 944 groups on Facebook and seeing selling prices.  (Um, if anyone here is interested in a deal.......)

Tell me more about that 944 then...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/16/24 4:18 p.m.
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
2/16/24 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Thanks. I'm traveling for most of tomorrow but I am interested. I'll PM you via the forum on Sunday when I'm back home.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/18/24 7:05 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Got the email, I replied with my number to text (in case it didn't go through)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
2/18/24 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

It did - sorry for not texting you back, I just came back from my trip last night and ended up not seeing the email response until a few minutes ago. I'll be in touch tomorrow. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/20/24 2:48 p.m.

So I'm heading to Chillicothe after work to look at a Celica... cool

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/20/24 10:17 p.m.

My friend the notary talking to the owner and his dad, while I take a photo of the latest in my fleet. Step 1 for 2024 complete.

nakmuayfarang
nakmuayfarang New Reader
2/21/24 3:46 a.m.

That celica has a great look.  The only thing that would make it look cooler is swapping the hood from a celica all-trac.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/26/24 3:59 p.m.

And today plans were made to go to Cleveland on Saturday the 16th for the WRX, and do a St Patrick's parade on the 17th in costume before I leave.  Two birds, one stone.  And we can drive the Crosstrek up, and SWMBO drive it back with 4 snow tires in the back as well.

Pssst - 944 is still up for grabs.

PS122
PS122 Reader
3/26/24 9:32 a.m.
Jerry said:

My friend the notary talking to the owner and his dad, while I take a photo of the latest in my fleet. Step 1 for 2024 complete.

How did I miss this on BAT??? If you ever entertain thoughts of flipping it - I'm in Ohio and very interested...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gnr9uQUDRGWEatD6dG3I8G1hSBt1sTMcHgCl0ydM0uSXlRIn40CwNwmdFIgDfNDq