CrashDummy
CrashDummy New Reader
12/25/12 6:26 p.m.

My wife got me an iPhone for Christmas. I've never had a smart phone before, but I'm sure most of you already have one. There must be some great car related aps out there; but what are they? Useful tools? Autoracing news? Something useful for autocross? Good racing games? What should I be downloading right now?

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
12/25/12 6:42 p.m.

Things like tapatalk are useful for reading forums on it. Harry's Laptimer is pretty popular with road racing/autocross but really needs an external gps receiver to be at its best.

Just think about how you would use the internet and that is what the phone is for. Email/browsing/youtube etc

slopecarver
slopecarver New Reader
12/25/12 6:45 p.m.

reckless 2 is a fun top down racer, Plants vs Zombies, Asphalt 7, stanley level (uses the built in accelerometer as a level) you will find others.

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
12/25/12 7:39 p.m.

The gun app, with the phone plugged into your car audio system.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
12/25/12 8:18 p.m.

Throw it as far as you can.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
12/25/12 8:26 p.m.

Harry's Lap Timer.

iPhoto.

facebook, instagram, etc

etc

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
12/25/12 8:46 p.m.

Alows you to surf the forums here at grm while sitting on the ... .. well you know.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
12/25/12 8:47 p.m.

Well, there's always the Bosch 'Light 'em up' application.
Turns your iPhone into a dynamometer.

http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/bosch-light-em-up-dyno.html

There's also a free version, just look for it.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
12/25/12 8:47 p.m.

Better idea return it and get a megasquirt

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/25/12 9:36 p.m.

Sounds silly, but I use the Notes app way more than I ever thought I would. It means I always have a pen and pad with me. (The Notes app should already be on your main screen.)

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
12/25/12 9:44 p.m.

Even tho I have a Droid, my Note app has become andatory for me at work.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
12/25/12 9:59 p.m.

Dynolicious, logworks and there's a MegaSquirt logging app available that uses a serial to wifi adapter.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
12/25/12 10:44 p.m.

Speaking of mobile stuff - any way we can get a 'Jump To' button for the Build Projects forum on the mobile version of the site? Last time I noticed, a week or two ago, there wasn't one.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
12/25/12 10:46 p.m.

In reply to fastEddie: The work around for that is to jump to all forums. You cannot jump to Swag Bag either.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/25/12 11:13 p.m.

Bad Piggies is great for those with a "mechanical" aptitude. Building cars and planes is far more fun than just launching birds with a slingshot.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Reader
12/26/12 12:19 a.m.

As I noted in another thread, asking Siri silly questions is a lot of fun. Try "what is the meaning of life" Swear at her, etc. Fun aside, it is a remarkable accomplishment. I have already used it while driving to do pretty complex math. You can have her verbalized nearby business or restaurants, find directions, and other handy stuff.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
12/26/12 9:35 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Just think about how you would use the internet and that is what the phone is for. Email/browsing/youtube etc

I found this comment funny... because thats exactly how I prefer not to use my phone. I have a computer for that stuff.

How I use my iPhone... besides phone calls:
-Camera
-Fitness tracking (mainly mountain biking, but also running and hiking) + Heart Rate Monitor
-As a flashlight when its dark out
-Notepad
-Autocross Data Acquisition (Harry's Lap Timer)
-A remote for the Roku
-GPS/traffic (mainly WAZE)
-Gas mileage logging (Fuelly)

So... mainly things a computer would suck for becacuse it A) doesn't have a GPS and B) isn't in my pocket at all times

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
12/30/12 8:31 a.m.

Evernote is a nice App for keeping track of passwords, logins, dates, or anything else you need to know in a pinch.

A Flashlight is a must-have App if you walk your dogs at night while listening to music. (and you clean up after them)

TomTom is my App for directions, no more remembering the Garmin when I travel!

Learn Siri and ALL of her commands and you will never write anything down again. She can take a note, set a reminder, add something to the calendar and add a task.

MyNetDiary is my weight-loss app, nice for counting calories and tracking exercise.

FaceBook, Twitter, etc

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
12/30/12 9:23 a.m.

Netflix

Amazon

eBay

Craigslist

Gas Cubby - tracks gas and maintenance

I 2nd Waze for traffic

Mapquest for accurate directions

My wife and I share a Google calendar use the calendar app to keep everyone organized.

Pandora

Adam Corolla

KeyRing is cool for tracking all those stupid store membership cards.

All of my banking.

2nd for Evernote, it's my preferred note app.

Goodreader is by far the best .pdf/reader program on the market. If you work with .pdf files it's a necessity.

Make sure you keep a charger anywhere you might sit, desk, car, nightstand etc. GPS kills battery.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
12/30/12 9:38 a.m.

Make a call? Call home?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/30/12 9:57 a.m.

m.grassrootsmotorsports.com

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/30/12 11:44 a.m.

Cartalk app. And the new free google maps app gives voice turn by turn for free. No more spending money on a tomtom app.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
12/30/12 12:17 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Cartalk app. And the new free google maps app gives voice turn by turn for free. No more spending money on a tomtom app.

The Apple maps that they included on the device does this as well. The maps aren't the greatest it seems, but they've worked fine for me. Of course with any GPS directions, you should double check where you're going before you head off.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
12/30/12 4:56 p.m.

If you live near a metro area, WAZE > other GPS apps. Traffic, speed traps, construction, etc. is way more accurate.

The stability could use a little work though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RHIDLuDujHFXCqlQkGmtMqI7duqtviZLm2370dxMwKtQFwpKIGg8qsPwHkGPClsN