1 2 3 4
oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
1/6/10 11:13 p.m.
pitbull113 wrote:
maroon92 wrote: pitbull113, are you Tanner Foust?
no why does tanner hate ken block too?

No hate from this perspective. Both have some talent behind the wheel, but they spend too much time in front of the cameras.

Kimi's mere presence in the WRC will dwarf Block's efforts.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
1/6/10 11:38 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: Kimi's mere presence in the WRC will dwarf Block's efforts.

I don't know about that... maybe in Europe, but then again I'd know nothing about who watches F1 in North America since that stuff is about as boring as watching skittles get flushed down a toilet...

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
1/6/10 11:44 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
I don't know about that... maybe in Europe, but then again I'd know nothing about who watches F1 in North America since that stuff is about as boring as watching skittles get flushed down a toilet...

Get your head out of the toilet and expand your horizon.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
1/7/10 12:53 a.m.

The gymkhana video was really impressive, I gained a whole new respect for Ken Block as a driver after watching that video! I will be interested to see how he does in WRC! I would like to see Pastrana drive in the WRC as well!

GR40RACER
GR40RACER None
1/7/10 1:52 a.m.

Dude's got talent, now he's got FoMoCo behind him.

Im really hoping all this interest in guys like Block, Pastrana, etc and games like DiRT really bring Rally back to the states and they get better coverage. Its such an awesome sport but the euro people (like F1) just do not know how to cover it to make it exciting like Nascar (boring ass sport but they know how to cover it). I freaking love RallyX on the X Games.

footinmouth
footinmouth New Reader
1/7/10 5:42 a.m.

Sure would be nice to see an STI style ford hitting our highways .

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/7/10 6:32 a.m.
hitempguy said: I don't know about that... maybe in Europe, but then again I'd know nothing about who watches F1 in North America since that stuff is about as boring as watching skittles get flushed down a toilet...

I think you are thinking of NASCAR...The last four-five seasons of F1 have been infinitely exciting. I would even go out on the limb that in 2009 it was more exciting than ALMS was. (yeah, suck on that)

zomby woof
zomby woof Reader
1/7/10 8:00 a.m.

Am I the only one that thinks this could end badly?

Admittedly, I don't know much about the guy, but I can't recall him doing anything to indicate that he could compete at this level.

BigDanSubaru
BigDanSubaru New Reader
1/7/10 8:16 a.m.

Ken Block as a dumb ass trader and made a big mistake by joing those loosers at ford!

Armitage
Armitage Reader
1/7/10 8:19 a.m.

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
1/7/10 8:22 a.m.

I'm curious why there is so much vitriol aimed in Ken Block's direction. The guy seems to be a true success story, helping co-found a company that became highly successful, spends time doing things we'd all like to be doing, given the talent, time and money, and comes off as a good guy from first-hand accounts.

Yet he gets dumped on by a lot of "enthusiasts". Unfortunately for them, it only comes off as sour grapes.

BigDanSubaru wrote: Ken Block as a dumb ass trader and made a big mistake by joing those loosers at ford!

I didn't realize he'd gone to Wall Street too. Wow, that guy is everywhere! Also, spelling FTW!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
1/7/10 8:34 a.m.

What's the deal guys? Why does anyone expect an AWD turbo Ford over here? WRC car's don't have to be based off AWD turbo cars for homologation. Ford has never sold a production AWD Turbo Focus anywhere in the world ever, so why start now. Both iterations of the Focus RS have been FWD. Same with Citroen, they don't build AWD turbo cars for the street either.

Also It amazes me how people forget Buffman. Some one said up thread that he competed in a different series. Nope, he ran many FIA WRC events, the same FIA and same WRC that Ken is now entering. You also need to remember that the POR (Press on regardless not L.S.P.R) and the Olympus rallies in N.A. both used to be WRC events.

P71
P71 SuperDork
1/7/10 8:36 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:

I'm sorry, you have used P71's "skittles - NASCAR" joke without prior permission. Please cease and desist or send me a Miata.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/7/10 8:37 a.m.
zomby woof wrote: Am I the only one that thinks this could end badly? Admittedly, I don't know much about the guy, but I can't recall him doing anything to indicate that he could compete at this level.

I agree.

Ken Block by all accounts is a nice guy, one of the good ones. He's doing what we would all do, taking the money he made with his company and having fun. If I was in his shoes (sorry), I'd do exactly the same thing. But lets be honest, he's likely to have a rough time in WRC, I'd put him out of the top 5, maybe out of the top 10. It could also be worse. Not that he shouldn't try, I've actually wondered what's taken him so long.

If he was such a raw talent, with his funds and Subaru's backing, he should be smoking the field at North American events. But he rarely does, and is often beaten by folks with a fraction of his budget. I know that speaks to the equalizing factors of rally, but it also speaks of his talent.

AWD Ford Focus or Fiesta? A man can hope, can't he?

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/7/10 8:39 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: What's the deal guys? Why does anyone expect an AWD turbo Ford over here? WRC car's don't have to be based off AWD turbo cars for homologation. Ford has never sold a production AWD Turbo Focus anywhere in the world ever, so why start now. Both iterations of the Focus RS have been FWD. Same with Citroen, they don't build AWD turbo cars for the street either. Also It amazes me how people forget Buffman. Some one said up thread that he competed in a different series. Nope, he ran many FIA WRC events, the same FIA and same WRC that Ken is now entering. You also need to remember that the POR (Press on regardless not L.S.P.R) and the Olympus rallies in N.A. both used to be WRC events.

Because that was more than 20 years ago Adrian, it's history !

zomby woof
zomby woof Reader
1/7/10 8:42 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: I'm curious why there is so much vitriol aimed in Ken Block's direction.

Because of his 'look at me, and how awesome I am' videos.

GR40RACER
GR40RACER New Reader
1/7/10 9:19 a.m.
BigDanSubaru wrote: Ken Block as a dumb ass trader and made a big mistake by joing those loosers at ford!

You import guys swung on his nuts when he was rocking the Subi, now look at you...

There isn't a world wide mfg. that's given more to motorsports in the last 50 years then Ford has, Block made the right move, so did Ford.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
1/7/10 9:24 a.m.

I didn't take his attitude at all in the video from above.

He was laughing his head off for most of the driving. I'm willing to bet a large percentage of the people on this board would be doing the exact same thing if given the opportunity to drive that car on that track.

Will he do well in WRC? Who knows. Will it catch the attention of ESPN and MTV. Probably. Will they "Americanize" WRC for us? Probably. But a bad WRC race is still better than a golf tourney, a gymnastics event or ANY reality TV any day of the week.

-Rob

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/7/10 9:33 a.m.

Why would Ken Block be a traitor for defecting to Ford? As I recall, Subaru does not have a WRC program anymore...

Randy Pobst has driven anything under the sun, and I would never call him a traitor. John Buffum rallied Triumphs, Audis and a whole lot of other stuff, and he was not a traitor, he was a racer. Racers don't care what badge is on the front of the car as long as that car is on the front of the grid!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
1/7/10 9:43 a.m.

He's not moving to Ford. He's Paying for a ride in a Ford. Ford didn't recruit him, it's a pay to play scenario.

81gtv6
81gtv6 Reader
1/7/10 9:45 a.m.

I see this as an attempt by Ford to get more exposure for WRC in the US, and I am all for that.

Is he going to be great right out of the box, no. He happens to be running against the greatest rally driver WRC has seen but he does have talent and should do OK.

Besides that how here wouldn't jump at that kind of opportunity? Just be happy for the guy and that there will be more WRC coverage here.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/7/10 10:31 a.m.

Ken has 7 wins in 35 starts in RA since 2005 with 10 DNF's (from the Wiki page on him). I'm not sure what that says about his talent given the lack of depth and funding for most North American rally teams. He clearly is on the best funded team.

And yes, make no mistake, he pays for his rides (there is nothing wrong with that, it just needs to be remembered).

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/7/10 11:39 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: I'm curious why there is so much vitriol aimed in Ken Block's direction. The guy seems to be a true success story, helping co-found a company that became highly successful, spends time doing things we'd all like to be doing, given the talent, time and money, and comes off as a good guy from first-hand accounts. Yet he gets dumped on by a lot of "enthusiasts". Unfortunately for them, it only comes off as sour grapes.

Amen. I think it's rad that he's a) successful and 2) uses that success t play with cars.

cxhb
cxhb Reader
1/7/10 11:52 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
dyintorace wrote: I'm curious why there is so much vitriol aimed in Ken Block's direction. The guy seems to be a true success story, helping co-found a company that became highly successful, spends time doing things we'd all like to be doing, given the talent, time and money, and comes off as a good guy from first-hand accounts. Yet he gets dumped on by a lot of "enthusiasts". Unfortunately for them, it only comes off as sour grapes.
Amen. I think it's rad that he's a) successful and 2) uses that success t play with cars.

+1

Why so much hate? His videos are out there and entertaining, but its marketing and as successful as his business ventures have been I would say they are very effective...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hSXDjaDHRW5cXf4Z8eVWn60cCRlukm2aEcz3C6bJE8CrJXWsXgcf3OmTjcy6o5UX