Will
Will HalfDork
8/28/11 11:04 a.m.

I'm thinking of replacing the passenger seat in my ESP Camaro with a Kirkey to save some weight. I do drive the car on the street, but the passenger seat almost never sees use (no one wants to ride in the car...it's a little rough on the street). If anyone here has one, what style did you go with? I'm thinking of the economy layback design (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KIR-19400/), but I'm not sure if the 10 degree or 20 degree style would be best. Any input? Thanks.

ETA: I guess layback doesn't matter a ton since the seat will be so rarely used, but for those rare times I do have a passenger on course or off, the seat angle may as well be the best for comfort/safety.

tcoleman900
tcoleman900 New Reader
8/28/11 11:45 a.m.

i have a "south west speed" seat in my FP saab identical to a Kirkey its not all that uncomfortable, if i drive it for more than an hour i just put a pillow down on it haha and its nice and comfy, then just take the pillow out at the track.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
8/28/11 1:24 p.m.

go 20 deg for sure the under side of the knees will thank you. Std seat cover is not bad but do add the lumber support kirkey sells or add the butler one that inflates (squeeze bulb like blood pressure cuff)

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/28/11 4:09 p.m.

I am missing someting:

The prupose of a Kirkey is to keep you in place while hooning around the track. You actually order them based on hip size.

What good are they going to do in the passenger side except act as a ftat chick filter?

I have quite a few street miles on the kirkey in my MGB GT. They are great for the track. They are a PITA to enter in a street car. Hot. Not uncomfortalbe.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
8/28/11 4:32 p.m.

We run a Kirkey ProDrag for a driver seat. Has pretty good cushion and great lateral support, even w/o the 'wings' on the roundy-round seats.

Will
Will HalfDork
8/28/11 4:40 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: What good are they going to do in the passenger side except act as a ftat chick filter?

Less weight.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
8/28/11 4:42 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I am missing someting: The prupose of a Kirkey is to keep you in place while hooning around the track. You actually order them based on hip size. What good are they going to do in the passenger side except act as a ftat chick filter? I have quite a few street miles on the kirkey in my MGB GT. They are great for the track. They are a PITA to enter in a street car. Hot. Not uncomfortalbe.

if it's a track / a-x car then there would be some weight savings... LOL at the fat chick filter idea...

mine ( driver and passenger ) are not only a PITA to get in and out of ( not as young and limber as I used to be ) but driving 2+ hrs to every event ... they are literally a PITA .... I use several different pieces of foam ... it only helps a little

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
8/28/11 6:25 p.m.

Study the seats before you buy, if you are going to wear it yourself. The economy seats are exactly that- they are made of fewer pieces, with fewer breaks, so they are flat and uncomfortable. The degree of layback has less to do with the seatback angle, than it does with leg support. I am tall, and use a 10 degree seat, with the back reclined at about 20 degrees, which allows the front edge of the seat to support my upper legs properly. ( the previous sentence DOES make sense, just re-read it)

If you are looking to save weight for the passengers side, and have no concern for fit or safety, buy the lightest cheapest seat that will fill the hole.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
8/28/11 6:48 p.m.

if it's for the passenger side just go with one of these...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/28/11 7:07 p.m.

Some track day places require equal protection for passenger seat for instructor ride-alongs. They want equally safe seats on the pass side. (and harnesses, etc. )

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/28/11 7:07 p.m.
donalson wrote: if it's for the passenger side just go with one of these...

Those ain't bad for the money at all. I had 'em in my XJ and K20. The seat covers are worth it too. @ Summit.

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
8/28/11 7:57 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: What good are they going to do in the passenger side except act as a ftat chick filter?

Very important, that.

Will
Will HalfDork
8/28/11 8:33 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Study the seats before you buy, if you are going to wear it yourself.

I have a Sparco Evo 2 on the driver's side.

As I said in the OP, this is for the passenger seat only.

Broadspeed
Broadspeed New Reader
8/29/11 8:00 p.m.

I have a Kirkey Pro Drag 41900 in my Saab 900 SPG that I drive on the street and use for land speed racing. It is a 18" hip size with a 18 degrees std layback. Depends on how you mount it what you end up with for layback. I added a 2" thick foam pad to the seat bottom and a 1" to the back under the factory cover. I'm a 60 yr old or something 6-foot, 225 lbs. I am surprised with the comfort on long distances as I drive to all the race events including 1,375 miles one way to Maine non-stop with drivers trading off. I take it out of the car during the racing off-season (Nov to Mar) and put the stock seat back in. Makes it easier if anyone needs to drive it and less wear and tear on the seat cover.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5cGTEgGHqO486kQh3iZ2UOHWQdVZCjfRjDU6yO3cHqtuaDFYUaQuNoQMGkbjWyoi