Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
12/5/08 7:53 p.m.

Some kind of crazy junkyard discovered in Rhode Island. Plenty of Mustang content:

Link: http://jalopnik.com/5102534/massive-secret-mustang-junkyard-found-in-rhode-island-forest?skyline=true&s=i

EricM
EricM Reader
12/5/08 8:26 p.m.

and every one of them beyond restoration

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/5/08 8:39 p.m.

wow if you look at the comments some one found them all in an ariel shot, there's TONS of cars there.

RussellH
RussellH New Reader
12/5/08 8:45 p.m.

why was it a secret? Looks like many of the cars were picked for parts unless it was one loony doing it.

Woody
Woody Dork
12/5/08 9:51 p.m.

I though Rhode Island was a lot smaller than that.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
12/6/08 8:25 a.m.

I guess it's just me, I see many, VERY rusted looking cars, several that are interesting, but how many of them are salvageable? It doesn't look like very many.........tho it could just be the pix.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
12/6/08 9:00 a.m.

yeah, that's just a bunch of $60/ton scrap, to be sold to china so they can make it into war planes and bombs and stuff and give us what we've been paying them to give us -- a good old-fashioned Sun Tzu ass-whoopin. we may not be at war with china, but china's certainly at war with us.

oops, i think i just floundered this thread. feel free to ignore me. i'm in a pissy mood this morning.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
12/6/08 4:48 p.m.

Wow Angry just poped a brake line getting out of bed today...

Theres loads of good stiff in that yard still like pedal assemblies and molding grills and headlight buckets ect all hard to find stuff. Wish i had time to go and look it about 2 hour drive from here.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/6/08 4:51 p.m.

I wonder where in RI this is...

Not that I'm in the market for a half-disintegrated Mustang.

Cool find, though. Very cool.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
12/6/08 5:36 p.m.

Some of those would be AWESOME if they were just in slightly better shape...that Dodge truck and that crazy old Ford van would be sweet projects.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
12/6/08 6:06 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Wow Angry just poped a brake line getting out of bed today... Theres loads of good stiff in that yard still like pedal assemblies and molding grills and headlight buckets ect all hard to find stuff. Wish i had time to go and look it about 2 hour drive from here. 44

I agree. Very rough but may have some interesting parts in there that are usable/restoreable. I would love to walk around there.

Will
Will New Reader
12/7/08 7:33 a.m.

There are some good projects there but I'm sad so many have no glass and thus probably no floors at this point.

Still, I call dibs on the 57 Olds hardtop, 55 Chrysler and 69 Mustang Sportsroof. And I definitely saw a Chevy II and 47-54 Chevy stakebed truck that would be easy to patch up.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
12/7/08 7:54 a.m.

yeah the box 2dr looked promising and the ?Hillman? wasn't too bad either.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
12/7/08 8:09 a.m.

How many mice are living in these hulks of rust,and rott? I only ask becaue I have been battling mice in my house the past week or so. I have got three so far with traps,and I imagine I will have more.

There were at least 6 living in ToddK's TR8 coupe he had stored in my yard for the past year,and these cars have been sitting way longer.

jimbbski
jimbbski New Reader
12/7/08 7:57 p.m.

You have to remember with Mustangs there is so much aftermarket sheet metal avaiable that a lot of those car can be brought back to life. The problem is the cost to do so. Its always cheaper to start with a solid car then a rusty one dispite the fact that the solid car is going to cost more to buy. You either pay up front or during the rebuilding process. Which will take longer.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
12/7/08 7:59 p.m.

Yes and no those rust POS are good VIN numbers....

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/7/08 8:18 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Yes and no those rust POS are good VIN numbers....

and if you have the money to pullit off, a good vin is essential

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
12/7/08 11:26 p.m.

I see an complete early RX7 and MG in these photos....hmm...wonder if it might be worth a drive to go down and check it out.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
12/8/08 6:04 a.m.
RoadWarrior wrote: I see an complete early RX7 and MG in these photos....hmm...wonder if it might be worth a drive to go down and check it out.

Had to search for them but I found 'em. Man, there is a lot of pics. The MG doesn't look all that bad really. I would love to walk around that place.

Luke
Luke Dork
12/8/08 6:23 a.m.

Stuff like this is fascinating. You could easily kill a day exploring that yard.

RX7 took some finding! I also spotted a decrepit Fiat 124 spider, a Ford Anglia (100E?), and you can see the corner of an Opel GT in one shot. There's a few other interesting '80s Japanese cars, too.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
12/8/08 11:36 a.m.
EricM wrote: and every one of them beyond restoration

Yep... A few of the cars look like they could be salvaged.. but then again, think of how many feet of snow they've been buried under over the years... some of the trim off the 50's cars would be worth saving. Even if it needs restoring, it would be better than nothing.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
12/8/08 12:19 p.m.

So....NE GRM-er run to hidden junkyard?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
12/8/08 12:39 p.m.

Wish i had time this coming weekend is allready booked for forester clutch...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NR0K1jeBXKEFFbDovgdsFspzjGw8ohidItl463oyXGdEWrGuKMa0pMPQjgXs2wzg