1 2
No Time
No Time UberDork
6/14/24 5:54 p.m.

Looking to find something for my son that is better on gas and more modern than the 1998 Ram. Goal it to keep his payment under $200/ month, so $10k or less on the purchase price is ideal.

While looking at replacement for my jeep I came across a 2019 Fiesta for under $8k but is has 105k miles and is an automatic. 

Link

I figured it's new enough to have the modern safety Nannie's, and since he works at the local Ford dealer keeping up on service info shouldn't be an issue. 

Are these a ticking time bomb, or could this last him another 100k miles with regular maintenance?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/14/24 7:06 p.m.

Looking at the link and the included carfax, I am not impressed with the first 48.8k being a rental car and then the front accident that happened 3 months ago around 105k miles.  It seems that accident resulted in the sale of the car and that the current dealer bought the car just 2 months after the accident.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/14/24 7:27 p.m.

I have noticed that Fiestas with the combo of trunk and manual trans must be very hard to sell because the are usually very reasonably priced.  

This one in your neighborhood... '12 w/105k @ $6.5k.  The ad does have a carfax.  ONE OWNER and DEALER SERVICED all its life.  

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
6/14/24 7:38 p.m.

My daughter has a 19 Fiesta DCT, and it's been trouble-free so far, but it only has 30k miles on it.

DancesWithCurves
DancesWithCurves New Reader
6/14/24 8:37 p.m.

No personal ownership experience, but Detroit Free Press published a deep investigative series on DPS6 transmissions.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/07/11/ford-focus-fiesta-key-findings-out-gear-investigation/1671267001/

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money/cars/ford/2019/07/11/ford-focus-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

This one's behind a paywall:
Aug 24, 2023
2017-19 Ford Fiesta, Focus owners allege DPS6 transmission defect never fixed, sue.

Edit: I did rent a 2012 Focus auto in 2014, and found it amusing/horrifying that you could trick it into rolling backwards while waiting at an uphill stoplight. Pressing the brake just enough to activate the switch for the lights told the TCU that it was OK to be in neutral.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
6/14/24 9:16 p.m.

That transmission is compete crap. The engine (1.6, not 1.4) is decent and the rest of the car is at least okay for what you're looking for. Find one with a manual or if you want/need an auto, look elsewhere.

Aside from that...either that interior is ruined or the dealer couldn't be bothered to clean it, either one is its own kind of red flag.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
6/14/24 9:28 p.m.

It seems like the statistical sources, the class action and the antidotal evidence aligns on these transmissions. My elderly neighbors had 2 transmissions go in their new, low mile focus in 3-4 years. I'm all for talking educated risks, but these cars don't seem to depreciate much relative to other cars of their class. 

For a car for one's offspring I'd look elsewhere. I have a Fieata ST (turbo 1.6l, manual only) and while it's lower mileage the only thing that has broken is the blend door actuator.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/14/24 9:32 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I have noticed that Fiestas with the combo of trunk and manual trans must be very hard to sell because the are usually very reasonably priced.  

This one in your neighborhood... '12 w/105k @ $6.5k.  The ad does have a carfax.  ONE OWNER and DEALER SERVICED all its life.  

Having had a manual fiesta, this was what I was going to suggest, too. Especially since it will be cheaper and more secure. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/14/24 9:42 p.m.

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. 

I hadn't looked at the carfax, and thought the interior looked off, but thought it might just be the pattern looking off in the photos  

That saves me a trip to look at go look at it, and reminds me to check the carfax in the future. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/15/24 9:08 a.m.

Did they ever fix that horrible automated manual, or was it garbage through its entire run?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/15/24 10:03 a.m.
No Time said:

Looking to find something for my son that is better on gas and more modern than the 1998 Ram. Goal it to keep his payment under $200/ month, so $10k or less on the purchase price is ideal.

While looking at replacement for my jeep I came across a 2019 Fiesta for under $8k but is has 105k miles and is an automatic. 

If the main issue is fuel economy, first I'd look at how much gas could he buy for the Ram with that $8k.  The payback period is going to be pretty long, and that doesn't include the cost of insurance and registration for a second vehicle.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/15/24 10:46 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Did they ever fix that horrible automated manual, or was it garbage through its entire run?

Still garbage.

As to the OP, I hate the cruise rpm on the highway with the manual. I don't understand cruising at 4k@70 in "OD". The 19 FiST I inherited is much more reasonable at like 2200 or 2500. If I was to cruise at 4k, it's because I don't have OD, 28" tall tires, and like a 4.88 plus rear gear....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/15/24 11:48 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I'm all but convinced that the problems with the transmission are caused by people with bad driving habits.  So, in a sense, there is a kind of poetic justice at work here and all cars should have dry clutch DCTs.  You want to stop two car lengths back at a red light then creep forward every couple seconds?  Fine, enjoy your trashed transmission, or get a bus ticket.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
6/15/24 1:57 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

I'm all but convinced that the problems with the transmission are caused by people with bad driving habits.  So, in a sense, there is a kind of poetic justice at work here and all cars should have dry clutch DCTs.  You want to stop two car lengths back at a red light then creep forward every couple seconds?  Fine, enjoy your trashed transmission, or get a bus ticket.

In some cases you might be right, but the Fords have their own special problems. Ours was better if you drove it the right way, but still shuddered and felt like garbage sometimes, and I personally know people who've had Foci that ended up losing a trans. There were a couple "fixes" over the years but they still had problems. Based on what I've seen from them, I wouldn't touch a used one unless you can find a manual.

BlueInGreen - Jon
6/15/24 2:10 p.m.

On another note, I've seen a couple running around with the 15" 10 hole Mustang wheels and I think it's a great look.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
6/15/24 9:06 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

It's not an automated manual, it's a dual clutch trans. Just not a very reliable one.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
6/16/24 8:28 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Oh wow, I agree! Love it. I never would have thought of those wheels for a Fiesta. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
6/16/24 1:51 p.m.

I love the Fiesta in ST form.  I'd imagine the DPS6 would suck most of the fun out of it.  Our daughter had a Focus with that, and to be fair, it made it to 150k miles.  But it was really only good to drive on a steady highway (when it wasn't actually shifting).  Otherwise, it bucked and shook way to often, even after all of the dealer "fixes".

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/16/24 2:05 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
No Time said:

If the main issue is fuel economy, first I'd look at how much gas could he buy for the Ram with that $8k.  The payback period is going to be pretty long, and that doesn't include the cost of insurance and registration for a second vehicle.

There more to it than just fuel economy, but that is one of the criteria.  @20k miles per year the different between 12mpg and 30mpg is pretty big.

The real goal is to get him into something that can be more reliable and mainly require maintenance. The 26 year old truck has more potential for failures that can vary from simple sensors to a transmission. 

I would take the truck back for truck stuff in the summer and to use as my winter driver. I'm in a better spot than he is to address deferred maintenance and any failures that may occur. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/16/24 2:35 p.m.

Another choice from your area...

All Corolla drivetrain in a slightly small bit more functional shape (with hatch.)

2009 Scion xD. 111k @ $6k

At 20k per year, I can't be me without recommending a Gen2 Prius...

2009 Prius, last year of the Gen 2s with a 132k at $6.25k.  Loaded model with leather seats.

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/16/24 2:40 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks. I also like the idea of the Matrix and Vibe

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/16/24 2:54 p.m.
No Time said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks. I also like the idea of the Matrix and Vibe

Great choices, but...for the Gen2, '09+ they also offered a 2.4L, "big 4" as well as the old 1.8L. Basically Carmy 2.4L or Corolla 1.8L.

I briefly had a Vibe 2.4L and sold it quickly.  The gearing and the box shape resulted in a car that couldn't break 26mpg hyw.  Poor mpg of a big car in a small car package. 

Caution on the Gen2, bigger, Scion xB. Same 2.4L and even boxier netting similar poor mpg. 

Matrix/Vibe 1.8L still returns decent mpg.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/16/24 3:08 p.m.
JoeTR6 said:

I love the Fiesta in ST form.  I'd imagine the DPS6 would suck most of the fun out of it.  Our daughter had a Focus with that, and to be fair, it made it to 150k miles.  But it was really only good to drive on a steady highway (when it wasn't actually shifting).  Otherwise, it bucked and shook way to often, even after all of the dealer "fixes".

The twin clutch transmissions were only used behind naturally aspirated engines.  The turbo three got a normal automatic (6F35 I think).  I think the only way to get an automatic behind an Ecoboost four was to get a cute ute.  IIRC for a while ALL Escape AWD models were turbo.

As neat as the 1 liter is, long term I'd rather have the PowerShift than the 1.0. 

What is neat/infuriating is that in the Fiesta, you can manually shift the PowerShift, which eliminates 95% of my issues with it as used in the Focus.  (Refuses to downshift ever, and then when it finally does, it's because you were at WOT at 1500rpm and slowing down, so it downshifts ALL the gears)  Makes me wonder if one can reflash the Focus TCM with the Fiesta firmware and use a Fiesta shifter, so a Focus can be manually shifted.

BlueInGreen - Jon
6/16/24 6:02 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Our Focus (2012 sedan) did have the manual shift "S" mode that made it somewhat fun. May have been a sport package thing.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
6/16/24 9:15 p.m.

Yes, the PowerE36 M3 trans really is that bad. No, they never actual found a real fix for it. Do not buy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YRTy6I8HBD3AmDcM56Vs2rzm6PEmpLJ6PccWsxnbLVCMak5ueZlCJ2jzkRImbQsn