Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/21/10 2:41 p.m.

I currently have a 2004 WRX as my daily driver. It has 120k miles on it and is easily among the best cars that I have ever owned. But the kids are getting bigger and I could use a little more space in the back.

I've checked a few of the used car appraisal sights and it appears that, in the same condition with the same mileage, my car is worth about $600 - $1000 more than a comparable Legacy GT, so this seems like a logical choice.

But I have really paid no attention to Legacy GTs and know noting about them, other than the fact that they are mechanically similar (I know, 2.0 vs. 2.5) and a little bit longer.

What do I need to know about them?

audifan
audifan Reader
8/21/10 2:47 p.m.

Definiately stay away from a out back XT fast as E36 M3 but it has the suspension of a 71 cadillac brougham and that is insulting the caddie! I cant even ride in the back of my wifes with out needing to toss my cookies ASAP. A legacy gt has much more in the way of options for suspension a manual wagon dare I say would be pretty damn fun to own. check www.legacygt.com as a possible info source

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
8/21/10 2:54 p.m.

Depends on what year range you're talking. 1996-03 is just a tarted-up Legacy with the troublesome 2.5 NA motor. 04-up has the yummy turbo and is, in my opinion, the best-looking Subaru made since the original Impreza died. Manual GT wagons are ridiculously hard to find, they were only made in 2005 and apparently there are less than 200 in existence. One of the best-looking wagons EVER though. Sedans are much more plentiful. A bit heavier than a WRX, and the suspension is a bit softer, but the aftermarket is just as strong (the Legacy is basically a stretched WRX, all the same crap will bolt right up). The interior is a lot nicer, too. I'm one of those people that would rather have one than a WRX/STi any day - they are cheaper, and you don't need to worry nearly as much about them being beaten on.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
8/21/10 3:42 p.m.

or find a legacy spec b. Improves on the suspension, and you get the turbo goodness.

Pat
Pat Reader
8/21/10 9:52 p.m.

I had no idea the 5 spd wagons were so rare....I almost ( I mean we were bickering about a few hundred bucks!) bought one new. It was blue, cloth seats, stripper of a 5 speed '05 Legacy GT wagon.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
8/22/10 8:01 a.m.

I have an 05 GT sedan and I love it.

It's the EJ255, which means torque and lots of it. The suspension is tuned more for comfort but that can be rectified fairly easily. Sway bar endlinks are made of plastic, but several companies sell aluminum or steel replacements. With that said I haven't had any issues with the plastic units at 65k where I am now.

I did get the automatic, which I actually consider a good choice for the GT. It's a 5-speed and seems well thought out and you don't have to worry about lunching clutches, which is an issue with these as well as the 2.5l WRX and STi.

Power bias with the auto tranny is 45/55 which makes handling a treat.

First mod should be a Cobb accessport and a reflash to stage 1. All you need to do is run 93 octane and it bumps you to around 280hp and 300ft lbs, it also improves gas mileage.

I got 26mpg on a fully laden road trip to Rhode Island yesterday while averaging 80-85mph in utter comfort for 4 people.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Reader
8/22/10 1:43 p.m.

If you get the sedan, I don't think the rear seats fold down until 2007. I can't fold the seats on my 2005.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
8/22/10 1:46 p.m.

yeah that's a big pain in the ass.

car39
car39 Reader
8/22/10 3:25 p.m.

Get maintenance records. For some reason, Legacy GT owners add an "0" to the oil change interval and change it every 30,000 miles, whether or not it needs it. 5 - 7 K in repairs, not covered by warranty without records. They will do something for second owner on a case by case basis. Great car though.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
8/22/10 7:13 p.m.

Yeah the oil should be replaced around 4k miles. I don't understand why people mess with long intervals when there's a turbo involved. Oil is cheaper than a new VF40.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AObx2xZNw9IhDkoJli52tYRAtBP9QIWT5Pefkd63WZcexn8HLM8ZStSUY5pRWNJO