1 2 3
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/28/08 10:00 a.m.

We're alive!!!!!

We got there Friday evening too late to go through tech, so we just drank beer all night.

Saturday morning we went through tech and the 'judging', the judges were ripping on a two car Toyota team who showed up with cars that just looked too nice. We rolled up behind them with the TT, the judge turned around and said 'I see nothing wrong with this car!' Jay Lamm drove by about the same time and made a similar comment (I don't think he ever saw his face on the hood 'ornament'. I'll post pics later.)

The judge grabbed one of the Toyota guys and pointed to the engine in the TT and said, 'Here's what a car that sat in the woods for five years really looks like!' He pointed out the acorn shells that we never got around to removing, and in the interest of being helpful I reached in, grabbed a handful of vacuum hoses, ripped them out so they could get a better look and then threw them into the car. The judge nearly fell on his ass, he was laughing so hard.

Then there was the guy who had a beatifully done build diary in a looseleaf notebook to show the judges. Bad move.

We discovered Sat. AM that 3rd gear had left the building. Okay, it still moves, right? Went out for the transponder check before the start, the Terd actually felt pretty good. Not race car good but not bad for $500 good

The green flag flew, I nailed it, the lack of oomph immediately became evident and I got passed about a bazillion times. It's gonna be that kind of a day. Then I discovered that the TT was about as neutral and unflappable in a turn as you could hope for, so strategy changed. Let 'em run me down on the straights, but scare hell out of them in the turns.

The drivers' meeting was mostly about 'ramming tactics will get you thrown out' so I avoided those, although it would have come in handy more than once! I did have a quickie two wheel 'off' in turn 12. More on that later.

That first session was pretty uneventful, just circulated making laps. I handed the car off still running great.

My second session started with me being much less willing to give any ground, since I had a pretty good handle on the TT's cornering strengths. So, once again, I find myself losing ground on the straights but making it up in the turns. Oh, by the way: by this point the transmission is playing ratio roulette. Maybe you got drive, maybe not. Need first? Nope. Second? Roll the dice, hope for the best. So anyway, I come diving into 12 three wide and I swear I thought for a moment the car on my right was going to wipe the door mirror off. Nothing happened (phew!) didn’t lose a position, all is well- until I got black flagged. Huh?

So I roll into the penalty box, you have to get out of the car before they will even talk to you. With Cool Shirt hoses and all, that’s a PITA. I ask the guy, ‘why?’ Metal to metal contact. Huh? So I led him around the car, said ‘show me’ (at this point the TT was pretty well unscathed), he could not find anything so I got a token 5 minutes and went back out. More circling ensued.

At the end of Saturday, the tranny was still playing ratio roulette and the car felt down on power. It averaged a half quart of oil per 30 minute session (about 30 miles). Plus, it had been consuming dihydrogen monoxide at a steady rate with no real evident external leaks. What the hell, it still runs.

Much Frogmore Stew and low quality carbonated alcoholic beverage was consumed on Saturday night.

Sunday AM we put the TT back out on course, the tranny was back in the ‘hood and the motor felt better, although still not as ‘powerful’ as before. The ratio roulette returned. WTH, it still runs.

The MotorWeek reporter showed up about 8AM Sunday and asked if he could drive the car. Sure, we are so far down the leaderboard it couldn’t get any worse. So they interviewed Aimee and I, then we strapped the reporter in the car. He was supposed to do 5 laps, he wound up doing 7 or 8 because he was having so much fun. When he came back in and got out of the car, he said ‘That was a blast! I have never driven a race car before!’ Aimee said, ‘Well, you still haven’t.’ That’s supposed to air sometime in September or October, BTW.

On my first session, the car was still quick enough to pass some real losers out on course. About 1/3 of the way through the session, I dive back into 12 (see a pattern here?) drop the ‘box into low and ‘power’ my way through 13. I shift up to 2nd and suddenly the engine decides to start sounding real funky and lost a LOT of power. Woops. I came in, we checked all the quickie stuff, no dice. Both rear cylinders are dead. Marcel learned why you use insulated pliers and gloves to pull plug wires while the engine is running. Probably a head gasket or intake gasket gone. Hell, it still runs. Out we go again.

I wind up with the last stint. Joe emptied our remaining gas into the tank and out I went, circling at a whopping 35 MPH average. The engine sounds like a bag of ass and the transmission is flipping its lips and going ‘wubba wubba wubba’, but the thing still moves. The race ends at 3:30, at about 3:15 I look down and the fuel gauge is in the red. Uh oh. How much did Joe dump in the tank?

I start looking desperately for the white flag and the checkers, man I do not want to have to have the thing towed back into the pits. About that time, a Chevy Caprice passes me on the right and goes zinging off into the grass. Woops. The cautions come out, we circle around and come back by, the damn thing is on fire. Whoa. And I thought I was having a bad day. Burst into flames with 10 minutes to go. So we keep circling under caution, and I am watching the fuel gauge go under the red. This ain’t lookin’ good. We went to almost 3:40 before the green flag flies and we are off again. WTF is going on here? Then the checkers flew, turns out they just wanted to end the race under green. Whew.

So I drive the TT back to the pits under its own steam (barely!) and much celebration is had! The car ran the full 16 hours and we had a ball, which is what the whole purpose was. Due to our 3 or so hours circling at about 40 MPH, we won the ‘Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance’ trophy.

Plans are already afoot for next year. BTW, plans are to have TWO of these at CMP next year!

clownkiller
clownkiller New Reader
7/28/08 10:39 a.m.

Team Toyota was factory sponsored. Good job on the trophy, and not leaving in the ambulance!

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
7/28/08 2:30 p.m.

Man that sounds like fun!!!!

I'll have to look into it for next year. And I'll bring my own ambulance.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
7/28/08 2:59 p.m.

I'm guessing TT doesn't stand for Twin Turbo. Tercel Turd, perhaps?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/28/08 3:23 p.m.

No, it stands for Thunder Terd. Someone else had already appropriated that name, though.

Team Salazar took their 'Peoples' Curse' punishment well, I thought.

RobL
RobL New Reader
7/28/08 8:36 p.m.

JENSENMAN!!! You mean we were garaged next to you the entire weekend and I never knew that was you... WTF.

Here is a video of that Impala starting on fire.
http://schumachertaxiservice.com/vids/fire_impala.wmv

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/28/08 9:08 p.m.

I saw those toyota cars going back up I26.. They were nice looking.

RobL
RobL New Reader
7/28/08 9:11 p.m.

BTW, you missed the guy in the supercharged PT Cruiser who said "I paid $1300 for the car, then I sold it back to my racing company for $0, so it's worth $0."

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/29/08 6:30 a.m.
RobL wrote: JENSENMAN!!! You mean we were garaged next to you the entire weekend and I never knew that was you... WTF.

I think you have the wrong car. We were in the 'Batmobile' lookin' black Thunderbird and were pitted about 1 block behind the pricey spots where you were set up. You passed us about a dozen times, though. Your neighbor in the white TurboPoop was plenty quick, though.

Nice doll, BTW.

The buzz in the pits was that the PT Cruiser was a real strong candidate for Peoples' Curse as well.

RobL
RobL New Reader
7/29/08 10:05 a.m.

Spec Miata had it hands down if Salazar didn't get crushed.

You're right. I do have the wrong car. It took a couple of looks but I finally got the theme. Animal House was just slightly ahead of my time.

But that garage was the best $125 I ever spent. Not exactly grassrootsy but it came in handy.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/29/08 10:55 a.m.

any pics of your car and the crazyness?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/29/08 12:46 p.m.

i have a ton of pics that my teammates and I took, I'm still going through them to pick out the best of the best. I also recorded every stint. That's gonna take a while to wade through.

Word was that the SM got so many penalty laps piled on during judging that the People's Curse probably would have been People's Blessing.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/29/08 12:52 p.m.

Only video I could find of the curse...what was the story on the one that got picked guys? Driving like an a-hole or obvious cheater?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZznaG53p_ww

Bryce

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/29/08 1:37 p.m.

Driving like a shiny happy person (they passed me once on the front straight on a full course caution! I swear I don't know how T&S missed that one. Anyone on that team who has a complaint with this statement, I got video. Don't make me post it. ), and the car was WAY faster than other similar E30's there.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/29/08 1:56 p.m.

I'll second the "Driving like a shiny happy person." Our guys had very limited wheel-to-wheel experience and still managed to keep it pretty clean. More pix to come. Until then....

clownkiller
clownkiller New Reader
7/29/08 2:42 p.m.

Here is a link to some more pictures of the race.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieseladdict/sets/72157606392762663/detail/

clownkiller
clownkiller New Reader
7/29/08 2:49 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Word was that the SM got so many penalty laps piled on during judging that the People's Curse probably would have been People's Blessing.

They got a 200 lap penalty, there was no way they could win. KCBHIW held right with, and passed the SM with our CRX. It was cool to see a Hong turd equal an OPM SM.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/29/08 3:27 p.m.

I heard OPM's penalty started at 50 laps and kept going up due to some, er, flack the judges were receiving. Sometimes it's best to just STFU. The next highest penalty I heard of was 40 laps.

I gotta say something nice about the CMP and LeMons crews, they ran things pretty well and made it fun for all of us.

Thanks to all the course workers who are really the ones that made this thing possible!

Also, the Falken Azenis RT615's we were running were amazingly consistent. Maybe it's the big porky car, maybe it's the max speeds of about 75-80 MPH, or whatever. We expected them to get greasy and nasty and wear real quick, no such thing. They are in such good shape we plan to run them again.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
7/29/08 3:37 p.m.

The PT Cruiser racked up 70 BS points as well.

I'll agree on the RT615's. I was really surprised how well they held up and stuck, even in Sunday's heat. Suffice it to say, I think they have another 24 Hours of LeMons left in them.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/29/08 3:45 p.m.
jensenman said:I gotta say something nice about the CMP and LeMons crews, they ran things pretty well and made it fun for all of us.

AMEN BROTHER!!! The event ran like clockwork, but still somehow felt very relaxed. The corner workers and tow truck drivers were extremely efficient in getting the course back to green ASAFP!

RobL
RobL New Reader
7/29/08 3:57 p.m.

Our Pics (not a lot): http://schumachertaxiservice.com/scracepics/index.htm

Our Vids (including our vantage point for the Curse): http://schumachertaxiservice.com/vids.html

...and still going through the vids...

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
7/29/08 4:00 p.m.

Great job on simply finishing!!!!

I didn't get to go, but a few friends put together an old MR2 parts car I had and made it (red with 2 black doors and a big dent). It ran for about 3 hours before the engine went south, but I think they made it up to about 6th place overall before that happened.

The only real driver on the team has driven a lot cars, and used to run in Grand AM Cup, he had an absolute blast. Said it was one of the most fun times he'd had in a race. The other 3 drivers I don't think have ever been in a race car.

I suppose I'm gonna have to build one now, it looks like too much fun!

Edit: I went and looked at the pics linked above, there's the MR2 driving off course! HA

RobL
RobL New Reader
7/29/08 4:05 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Only video I could find of the curse...what was the story on the one that got picked guys? Driving like an a-hole or obvious cheater?

As far as I knew, and why our team voted for them, was that they kept diving to the inside of the chicane and cutting the line there. Within the rules, but unsportmanlike.

victorhall
victorhall None
7/29/08 4:51 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Driving like a shiny happy person (they passed me once on the front straight on a full course caution! I swear I don't know how T&S missed that one. Anyone on that team who has a complaint with this statement, I got video. Don't make me post it. ), and the car was WAY faster than other similar E30's there.

Jensenman, Please send me the video of the yellow-lap pass: victor@victor-hall.com I will find out which of my drivers did it, and scold him (and buy him a yellow t-shirt to wear next time). We were passed quite a bit under yellow (the ONLY time we got passed ;)

Our official team response to the crushening is in the works.

-Salazar

victorhall
victorhall New Reader
7/29/08 4:53 p.m.
RobL wrote:
Nashco wrote: Only video I could find of the curse...what was the story on the one that got picked guys? Driving like an a-hole or obvious cheater?
As far as I knew, and why our team voted for them, was that they kept diving to the inside of the chicane and cutting the line there. Within the rules, but unsportmanlike.

HAHA - Thanks for the vote :) You certainly weren't alone - I understand that we had the largest margin of "victory" in Lemons history.

Don't ever go racing...it's unsportmanlike.

-Salazar.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GGWqdaGYHdk6QTm7RiyMUdvnHXoVyYjg1oV98mtxWkSdGw5UyGHqqdvlXCK7BKrR