1 2 3 4
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/6/13 9:32 a.m.

^It's going to take serious rear brake & diff cooling to make use of those vents...

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/6/13 9:50 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Just for RWD fun, I looked up the normal prices... The Scion BRZ's starting MSRP is $25.3k. The Mustang V6 manual basic is in the $22k range, and with a V6 perfomance pacakge, it's $24.9k. I wonder which is quicker around the track. Which can be found via C&D- the 2013 Lightnigh lap has the BRZ at 3:18.6, and the 2012 article references a 2011 Mustang V6 at 3:12.5. Wow. Hell of a pretender, the Mustang is, even with a stick in the back.

And they complained about the fact that they were on the speed limiter for awhile......

My advice to people scoffing at the current v6 stang is to go drive one before bitching. Preferably drive the track pack v6/6sp....it will open your eyes pretty damn quick.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
11/6/13 10:03 a.m.

Rememebr all these pics and others are peoples renderings and interpretations, some closer than others. The real car will be revealed in Dec.

On the V6, as I've said many times on here, our last two family SUV's (emphasis on the S part) have been V6 Autos. The caipability still impresses me. BTW you can do 87mph in 2nd gear

kreb
kreb SuperDork
11/6/13 10:08 a.m.

To the thread author: My first impulse is to call you a moron, first for stating a subjective as fact, and second because you haven't seen it in the flesh. But given that you have a basic grasp on vocabulary, you presumably have at least a triple-digit IQ. Styling-wise Ford chose to be conservative rather than radical. Why mess with what works? The best stuff is under the skin anyway: An honest-to-god IRS and a significant weight reduction. The current Mustang is a surprisingly competent, if overstuffed car. It looks to me like they made a good thing better. Pending more firsthand experience, I'd give it an A minus. This design has the European market in mind and deserves to be taken seriously by the Euro market. Not just as a novelty, like most fat muscle cars (especially the Italian owned company) but as something that deserves to hang with quality German machinery (And which should be cheaper to operate over the long run).

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
11/6/13 10:09 a.m.
yamaha wrote: And they complained about the fact that they were on the speed limiter for awhile...... My advice to people scoffing at the current v6 stang is to go drive one before bitching. Preferably drive the track pack v6/6sp....it will open your eyes pretty damn quick.

Only problem with the V6 Mustang is that the V8 exists.

Storz
Storz Dork
11/6/13 10:15 a.m.
mtn wrote:
yamaha wrote: And they complained about the fact that they were on the speed limiter for awhile...... My advice to people scoffing at the current v6 stang is to go drive one before bitching. Preferably drive the track pack v6/6sp....it will open your eyes pretty damn quick.

And yet I dream for the return of the turbo 4 pot

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 10:22 a.m.

I just hope it's not another Aston Martin front end. Seems Ford can't build a car that doesn't showcase the fact that they used to own a company with a great name but failed to capitalize on it.

That being said, the new 5.0L engine is stunning and sounds INCREDIBLE!!!

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 10:30 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

I just hope someday people will quit whining because they think Fords look like Astons. I know it's the first time a car has ever looked like another, but give it a rest. The grills aren't even the same shape.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
11/6/13 10:33 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: I just hope it's not another Aston Martin front end. Seems Ford can't build a car that doesn't showcase the fact that they used to own a company with a great name but failed to capitalize on it.

I'd say that Ford left Aston in much better shape than it found it. And I have no problem with the Aston-esque grill. If it looks good, it looks good, no matter where it came from.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/6/13 10:35 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

I agree with that, but the day has passed on the "V6 is a hateful piece of garbage" that the Essex 3.8 and 4L sohc earned the car.

The v6 now is actually technologically advanced, powerful, and economical. Sure the v8 is good, and some pay the premium for the sound alone, but.....there is no reason to not go with the v6 if you don't want to pay that premium.

They should have been using the 3.0L duratec v6 in the mustangs starting in '96......someone screwed the pooch on that opportunity back then.

plance1
plance1 Dork
11/6/13 10:35 a.m.
kreb wrote: To the thread author: My first impulse is to call you a moron, first for stating a subjective as fact, and second because you haven't seen it in the flesh. But given that you have a basic grasp on vocabulary, you presumably have at least a triple-digit IQ. Styling-wise Ford chose to be conservative rather than radical. Why mess with what works? The best stuff is under the skin anyway: An honest-to-god IRS and a significant weight reduction. The current Mustang is a surprisingly competent, if overstuffed car. It looks to me like they made a good thing better. Pending more firsthand experience, I'd give it an A minus. This design has the European market in mind and deserves to be taken seriously by the Euro market. Not just as a novelty, like most fat muscle cars (especially the Italian owned company) but as something that deserves to hang with quality German machinery (And which should be cheaper to operate over the long run).

I can't say for certain that I'm not a moron, have you seen my other posts? As far as triple digit IQ, I don't know about that either lol!

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/6/13 10:38 a.m.

I thought about being the first person to post "Go home plance, you're drunk" but decided I'd rather comment on other things.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
11/6/13 10:48 a.m.

The new Mustang needs a hatchback option and turbo four option. I'm still sad that the Frisbee twins weren't a hatchback.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
11/6/13 10:56 a.m.

Its been nearly 20 years since I sold the Cobra Jet... and nearly 30 since my Fox bodied Capri with a racer walsh boost kit mounted to the 2.3 turbo....

if it is light enough... and nimble enough... and not too gaudy

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
11/6/13 11:01 a.m.

I read through that article and two things caught my attention. First is the 4 pot turbo, very cool. The other was the the fact that it is going to use a TT V8 with a flat plane crank, I can not wait to hear that.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/6/13 11:19 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I just hope it's not another Aston Martin front end. Seems Ford can't build a car that doesn't showcase the fact that they used to own a company with a great name but failed to capitalize on it.
I'd say that Ford left Aston in much better shape than it found it. And I have no problem with the Aston-esque grill. If it looks good, it looks good, no matter where it came from.

Yea, I fail to see a really nice looking nose as a liability.

It's not as if Aston Martin didn't take significant styling from Ford at one point in time (one could mistake some astons as late 60's mustangs). And it's not as if the stylist doesn't work here. Or that it looks bad.

At least it doesn't look like a Jag- now that company cost a TON of money to have. And didn't make any.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
11/6/13 11:23 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: The other was the the fact that it is going to use a TT V8 with a flat plane crank

I'll put money on that not happening. There are serious downsides in terms of cost and longevity to that arrangement that would be unworldly in a Ford V8.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
11/6/13 11:24 a.m.
mtn wrote:

That...and how many years in a row was it that the V6 Mustang, and if you want to go back to the 80's you can include the non-turbo 4cyl, was the darling of the admin assistant crowd (I think we called them secretaries then....)? I agree that from what I've heard, the current V6 Mustang is quite the performer, but it still has some of that old stigma attached.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/6/13 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

The stigma is still there, my neighbor deals with it all the time.......and his MCA v6 is supercharged now, he cracked the 11's the last trip to the dragstrip.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 11:48 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to DrBoost: I just hope someday people will quit whining because they think Fords look like Astons. I know it's the first time a car has ever looked like another, but give it a rest. The grills aren't even the same shape.

I just like originality. Similarity is one thing, darn near cut and paste is just lazy. It says "well, I can't really design this myself, so I'll just slap this one over here on it."
If I decide to write scary stories and just produce thinly disguised Stephen King stories and call it mine I wouldn't feel proud of my product. And yes, I understand, Ford owned them. That makes no difference in my mind.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/6/13 11:51 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

I dont see much aston in this mustang.....

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/6/13 11:56 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

That, and customers seem to like the style. You know, the ones that pay the bills?

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
11/6/13 12:12 p.m.

The Ford grill and the Aston grill are only passingly similar. They are not cut and paste unless you've not got eyes.. if my computer cut an Aston grill and pasted a Fusion grill I would get a new computer.

stan
stan SuperDork
11/6/13 12:23 p.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in person to look at angles I want to see...

I just hope it's not as slab-sided as the Camaro and has the same tiny window-size. I was amazed the first time I got up close to one of the new Camaros.

I like what I do see so far though.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/6/13 12:29 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DrBoost: That, and customers seem to like the style. You know, the ones that pay the bills?

and as long as they continue to like it, there's no reason to muck about with it. I like morgans, and top gear accused them of using a photocopier as a designer (see quote in my profile)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EjymCQ0q89K3NRRKugY5q5K8LMPdAvYozlPjIVNmSNcWSh1eUZoNFFTDBxJdqc6J