1 2 3
Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/18/11 10:03 a.m.

You ever coming back to the local forum?

nocones
nocones HalfDork
3/18/11 10:04 a.m.
mtn wrote: (Assuming you are talking about Rantoul) What class are you running, and will you be there Saturday?

I'm planing to be there both days. I'm not sure what class the miata is in. It has a lightened flywheel and miscelaneous missing parts all over, some MAF sensor no one has ever seen, underdrive pulleys and who knows what else done to it so I think it will probably end up in some rediculous class. I already have ~80 t-shirts labeled with things like 1st in class and FTD or FTDI so it's really just about driving around cones and having fun. The MG will be out later this year (I Hope) running Dmod with a N/A 12a in it to work out the kinks in th suspension. Once it's "reliable" i will build a motor for it and get "serious" again. For now it's about Hooning in the most ghetto fab Miata ever.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/18/11 10:17 a.m.
nocones wrote:
mtn wrote: (Assuming you are talking about Rantoul) What class are you running, and will you be there Saturday?
I'm planing to be there both days. I'm not sure what class the miata is in. It has a lightened flywheel and miscelaneous missing parts all over, some MAF sensor no one has ever seen, underdrive pulleys and who knows what else done to it so I think it will probably end up in some rediculous class. I already have ~80 t-shirts labeled with things like 1st in class and FTD or FTDI so it's really just about driving around cones and having fun. The MG will be out later this year (I Hope) running Dmod with a N/A 12a in it to work out the kinks in th suspension. Once it's "reliable" i will build a motor for it and get "serious" again. For now it's about Hooning in the most ghetto fab Miata ever.

I'll be there Saturday in a blue Miata running STR. Say hi if you see me.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/18/11 10:47 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Everyone wants a ride on/in Barbie The Plastic Pig. Wow. That came out REAL weird.

^ I'm going to go ahead and vote that in for "Say What?"

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/18/11 10:51 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: You ever coming back to the local forum?

When i have time to sit and actually have a full conversation, yep.

Right now, it'd be more like me saying "Hi!" every couple hours.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/18/11 10:54 a.m.

that's better than nothing. Everyone thinks you're pissed off or something.

miatame
miatame Reader
3/18/11 12:04 p.m.

Never again.

Swapped rides with a fellow autoXer (his Cooper S for my E36 M3) for one run each. I took his car cautiously through the course having FUN with pitching it through the corners but never going past 8/10ths. Then he hops in my M3, lights up the tires at the starting grid loops it on the first slalom and goes 10/10ths through the course.

Never again.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/18/11 12:48 p.m.

If someone spins Barbie, I'm going to be laughing my ass off.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/18/11 12:48 p.m.
miatame wrote: Never again. Swapped rides with a fellow autoXer (his Cooper S for my E36 M3) for one run each. I took his car cautiously through the course having FUN with pitching it through the corners but never going past 8/10ths. Then he hops in my M3, lights up the tires at the starting grid loops it on the first slalom and goes 10/10ths through the course. Never again.

Meh. If someone is using my car for competition, I expect them to give it 10/10ths. Hell - if they aren't giving it 10/10ths I'll be pissed, because then they are just wearing out my tires without helping me learn anything about how to improve the car.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/18/11 12:59 p.m.

Yeah... I wouldn't mind co-driving a car for fun, although I'd probably treat it about the same as I treat my own cars: about 9/10's. Driving a car like Dave's would be wasted on me since I don't really know enough to make it perform.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
3/18/11 1:05 p.m.

My CRX was the club bicycle for a couple events. Risk is pretty low at AutoX and the car is cheap as chips to fix.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
3/18/11 1:40 p.m.

The way I figure it, what goes around comes around. When I spun a bearing at the last hillclimb of the year I still had 4 more autox events on the schedule and a number of people stepped up and offered me co-drives, and they weren't junk cars either. FP S2000, BS Solstice GXP, STR S2000. They all expected me to go out and drive hard, and I did, often posting better times than the car owners.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/18/11 2:07 p.m.

I've seen good friendships ruined this way if the "you break it you pay for it" rule is ignored.

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
3/18/11 3:24 p.m.

Done it on occasion. I guess I've never thought of it as a "you break it, you bought it" sort of thing. If I can't afford to fix it, I've got no business racing it.

Now, if something gets broken because someone was driving it stupid or didn't know their limits, I'd at least expect them to chip in. "Wear items" that would have failed on me during the next run if they hadn't let go on the guest driver, no. If they offer to help, I probably wouldn't say no, but I wouldn't expect it.

As far as who I let drive, this is probably backwards, but I usually let non-racing "rookie" friends drive w/me because I'm hoping they'll get interested and start racing themselves. The only rule I have is that if I tell them to shut it down because they are outdriving their skill set, they'd better listen or they are done. An experienced driver I would give free reign, but that hasn't happened yet. Guess my ride's just not that cool.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/18/11 3:59 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: If you can't afford to fix it, you can't afford to drive it. That's how I approach any drive, much less something like that.

Ding. If somebody wants to drive/race my car, they are made VERY clear on this subject. If it breaks while they are driving, they are paying to fix it. If the motor pops/transmission breaks, its halfers (unless they want to put used parts in it themselves, by all means). And if I let somebody borrow my car do race, I fully expect them to flog the snot out of it (or what is the point)?

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
3/18/11 7:01 p.m.

I have two good friends who are both car guys who I'd let drive any of my cars without hesitation. They both have a good deal of seat time, and I'd never worry about it.

I've driven both of their cars on occasion on the street, and co-drove my friend's SE-R at Roebling Road. By co-driving an event with him, it definitely gave me the track bug. However, when the coil wire popped off on the front straight and I thought I blew the motor, my heart sank. His attitude was great, he said "Well, I guess I get the SR20 DET I've always wanted." After he saw it was just the coil wire, he was a little disappointed, but boy was I relieved!

It's a delicate balance, but I think the "you break it, you pay for it" rule should definitely apply!

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
3/19/11 10:15 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
miatame wrote: Never again. Swapped rides with a fellow autoXer (his Cooper S for my E36 M3) for one run each. I took his car cautiously through the course having FUN with pitching it through the corners but never going past 8/10ths. Then he hops in my M3, lights up the tires at the starting grid loops it on the first slalom and goes 10/10ths through the course. Never again.
Meh. If someone is using my car for competition, I expect them to give it 10/10ths. Hell - if they aren't giving it 10/10ths I'll be pissed, because then they are just wearing out my tires without helping me learn anything about how to improve the car.

i think the big difference here is that the other guy was exceeding his skills by a lot. anything but smooth, almost digital inputs, and obviously didnt appreciate the higher power rwd difference between cars. plus it's a lot more of an amateur fun type autocross for a lot of the guys so it was really about experiencing a totally different type of car. plus he's got to drive it home, which ought to come into play somewhere.

i definitely agree with your assessment if youre pretty serious about the competition aspect or if theyre skilled enough to provide real feedback though.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
3/19/11 10:27 a.m.

i let an instructor at a test and tune event drive our ex-challenge e30. it was on seriously hard original azenis tires that it sits outside on all winter for years now, and its' pretty twitchy so it isnt easy to drive. it swaps ends on those hockey pucks really quickly with just a tad too much throttle input. while riding with me he said it felt like i could get on throttle a little sooner out of some corners so i offered him a run just to see what i was dealing with for tires.

on his first run he lost it 4 cones in and we went off course into the grass. though i wasnt so happy about that i just checked to make sure the wheel was still straight and there wasnt a puddle under the car. he felt really bad but we went on to finish the course... except the car lost all power on any kind of lateral load. about an hour later he and i had been checking all over the car and ultimately found the battery ground to body ground nut was just a hair loose and wiggled free. snugged up and all was fine.

i was just glad he helped me figure it out instead of walking off after the run. i figured if something let go it was going to, but next time if its purely driver error causing damage i suppose i'd want to make sure the risk is not all on me.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
3/19/11 12:28 p.m.

Never lend your car to anyone you wouldn't lend your girlfriend/wife to!

Hopefully that will eliminate just about everyone (for those for whom it doesn't, we know all about you car swappers!)

petegossett
petegossett SuperDork
3/19/11 5:24 p.m.

Just don't let them rally-x it.

KATYB
KATYB New Reader
3/31/11 9:39 p.m.

ummm i used to be pretty giving. untill i let a buddy drive my car and he spun it on the track ruining 2 rims when he went off. and then my dad spun my car on the street he lifted heavily in a corner not thinking and yep around she came. after that no one is allowed. not even my spouse.

car39
car39 Reader
3/31/11 10:23 p.m.

autox yes, track no The exception is one of the instructors, and that's because my car has 2 seats and his only has one, and he needs to be able to take people out.

cghstang
cghstang Reader
4/1/11 6:38 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Just don't let them rally-x it.

Someone let me rallycross a leased '08 Civic Si. It was my 3rd event ever. 5 hour drive from home.

He showed up at an event last season without a car to run. Guess who's he used?

I've let several people run my car when theirs had issues and offered it to more.

EricM
EricM Dork
4/1/11 8:59 a.m.
cghstang wrote:
petegossett wrote: Just don't let them rally-x it.
Someone let me rallycross a leased '08 Civic Si. It was my 3rd event ever. 5 hour drive from home. He showed up at an event last season without a car to run. Guess who's he used? I've let several people run my car when theirs had issues and offered it to more.

Pete said that because I broke his Jetta at a rally cross

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
4/1/11 1:24 p.m.

At an autocross I have little or no hesitation as to letting friends and or newbies drive my car.

I am a lot more hesitant about track work There is only a handfull of people I would consider allowing behind the wheel at a track. If anything I am even more reluctant to drive somebody else's car. I speak from experience when I say that you feel like a complete jackass when you realize that your about to take your friends car off track...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jk5sAZp5Cd9f43hu20qrMGHeNtmM8xdmMWVuSRrrIG1e9OHiiNlMuvr850Kps2Tc