stroker
stroker PowerDork
4/7/23 11:14 a.m.
Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/7/23 11:22 a.m.

That link is behind a password in a mail system. 

https://webmail.centurylink.net/app/#fullmsg

stroker
stroker PowerDork
4/7/23 11:31 a.m.
Toyman! said:

That link is behind a password in a mail system. 

https://webmail.centurylink.net/app/#fullmsg

My bad.  Try this one. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/7/23 12:39 p.m.

That's pretty cool.

Now I want one for the shelf. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/7/23 1:26 p.m.

I looks like it maybe solves some issues (apex seals), doesn't others (combustion chamber size and sharp angles) but potentially introduces more (hollow crank and rotor intake / exhaust).

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
4/7/23 1:28 p.m.

Apex seals aren't really an issue on NA rotaries.  

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/7/23 3:37 p.m.
stroker said:

What are we going to do without Dorito jokes...?

This one's gonna get peanut jokes.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/7/23 3:45 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Maybe not now, but I remember our RX4 getting a new engine under warranty due to apex seals :) And isn't that why you have to run premix in an RX8?

I think it should work as a high power/weight generator or flight engine. I think targeting the miltary drone market is definitely the right choice. I wonder if they'd be suitable for a hand portable generator as well?

nocones
nocones PowerDork
4/7/23 3:59 p.m.

I wonder what the vibration harmonics are like on it.  It looks like the..  .  Rotor..  CG is more off centered then the traditional Wankel design.   Also unlike a Wankel which goes continuously around, the liquid rotor CG appears to move along a triangular path with stops at the tips and changes direction.  I could just be looking at it wrong.   

It's a cool design though and I hope it works for them.   Engines with different thermodynamic cycles are cool. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/7/23 4:09 p.m.
nocones said:

I wonder what the vibration harmonics are like on it.  It looks like the..  .  Rotor..  CG is more off centered then the traditional Wankel design.   Also unlike a Wankel which goes continuously around, the liquid rotor CG appears to move along a triangular path with stops at the tips and changes direction.  I could just be looking at it wrong.   

It's a cool design though and I hope it works for them.   Engines with different thermodynamic cycles are cool. 

It's still an Otto cycle.  Just uses a different geometry to get the compression and expansion.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/7/23 5:22 p.m.

Apparently it's an Atkinson cycle - greater change of volume on the power stroke than the intake.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/7/23 5:35 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Missed that part, but that's also a cycle that has been used quite a few times in the last 30 years, particularly for hybrids.  And given some of the cam timing systems we've had, the line between applied otto and atkisnon is remarkably close for piston engines.

I wish it well, but watching the video can see some rather difficult problems that need to be solved before you would ever see it in a car.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/7/23 6:04 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Apparently it's an Atkinson cycle - greater change of volume on the power stroke than the intake.

That is a hair-split.  It's still a four stroke Otto cycle.

For that metric, then 6 port 13Bs, any rotary ported by a doofus, and any engine with a camshaft selected by the "bottom of page" method, are all "Atkinson" engines wink

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
4/8/23 2:37 p.m.

Pretty interesting take on a rotary. I'm interested to know what the oiling requirements are.

I'm also contemplating the heat exchange to the air by passing it through the shaft.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
4/9/23 1:24 a.m.

Crazy, it runs as a 4 stroke.

Jump to 7:15 to see it running in slow motion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLtyNtf9_ew

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
4/9/23 8:51 a.m.

I'd be interested to see it run when it's not coupled to an electric motor.

#skeptical

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g0A0RpuzdRIfaatREJzZv0tfIHxFZbqqk7JzzlhFFdwnNbJ6WKB7YSSdWhoQ68T2