5 6 7 8 9
sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
5/8/23 9:02 a.m.

morning livestream is live...

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/8/23 9:57 a.m.

Mixed conditions this am so Tom gets the nod...Brock giving some last-minute tips.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/8/23 10:07 a.m.

Green, green, green!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/8/23 10:20 a.m.

Just finished the first session--I drove because it was a half-wet track, and the results were less than awesome.

I made a few mistakes--haven't been here in a few years and the conditions were sketchy at best--but more importantly the car is losing power after a lap. It seems to be pulling boost, likely due to high IATs. Road Atlanta has warm weather and lots of WOT, and the stock intercooler is a known bottleneck on these cars. Oh well--just another reason to hope for rain. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/8/23 10:21 a.m.

Aim the windshield washer squirter at the intercooler.

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 10:59 a.m.

Lunch time!

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/8/23 11:02 a.m.

second livestream, because they're having trouble with comments after an hour today, maybe...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/8/23 11:07 a.m.

If anyone can contact the livestreamers, please ask them to hold the phone the right way 'round (landscape) cheeky

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/8/23 11:11 a.m.

and, in a first, as far as I know... they've already started uploading times from this morning, even as cars are running:
https://onelapofamerica.com/event/ResultsEventOverall.do?trackEventId=264&eventId=44

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/8/23 11:13 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Just finished the first session--I drove because it was a half-wet track, and the results were less than awesome.

I made a few mistakes--haven't been here in a few years and the conditions were sketchy at best--but more importantly the car is losing power after a lap. It seems to be pulling boost, likely due to high IATs. Road Atlanta has warm weather and lots of WOT, and the stock intercooler is a known bottleneck on these cars. Oh well--just another reason to hope for rain. 

apparently it wasn't as bad as you think, since you were faster than the TT-RS

Kevin_at_BW
Kevin_at_BW New Reader
5/8/23 12:45 p.m.

Catching up on content, but our Day 1 video is live.  Working on Day 2 as I type...

https://youtu.be/nmL7hr8NxkU

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 12:47 p.m.

Yeah, results are in and I did okay--28th overall, and 3rd in class. The track was dry for the last few sessions, so the slower cars jumped way up and made things interesting. 

We still had a nice showing--beat the factory-backed Camry by a large margin, as well as a GT500, TT RS and Michelin-backed Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing. Go little GTI Go!

Andy is running the afternoon session, where we'll have a dry track. 

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 1:22 p.m.

Almost time to head out on track! Here's a shot of the Camry's interior, complete with heated and cooled seats. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/8/23 1:28 p.m.

Tom, thanks for keeping the content coming. It was a fun day to see you and all at Nelson.  But, oddly sad to be driving back home and not advancing forward. 

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 2:02 p.m.

Session complete, we're packed up and on the road. Next stop Nashville!

Andy did fairly well, but the car conspired against him, too: Low fuel caused it to starve in turn 12, costing time. Here're his results:

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/8/23 2:22 p.m.

Noticed the white rowdy sounding Camaro and the Tesla were on the DNS list, both were pretty quick at Nelson

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 2:24 p.m.

Initial results are in--Andy was a few seconds off my time, but we still stayed ahead of the Camry and finished fourth in class. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/8/23 2:50 p.m.

official results for the afternoon are now being populated...

https://onelapofamerica.com/event/ResultsEventOverall.do?trackEventId=265&eventId=44

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/8/23 2:52 p.m.
chandler said:

Noticed the white rowdy sounding Camaro and the Tesla were on the DNS list, both were pretty quick at Nelson

based on the morning livestream, the Tesla didn't show up in the paddock this morning.

the white Camaro 1LE went out in the morning and pitted in before completing the first hot lap.  In the afternoon, I think it came in to the pits at the end of the sighting lap.  Don't know any more than that, though.

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 3:40 p.m.

Tesla was looking for a new tire--apparently they didn't make it to Road Atlanta, but will be in Nashville tomorrow. Sounds like a puncture or something similar. 

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 3:46 p.m.

The GPS is now taking us sight-seeing in the Georgia countryside. 

Kevin_at_BW
Kevin_at_BW New Reader
5/8/23 5:00 p.m.

BimmerWorld leaves Rd. Atl in 3rd overall.

Celebration with the best food ATL's gas stations have to offer...

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/8/23 5:15 p.m.

so, there was a couple posts (now removed) in here about a Cayman that brushed a tire wall yesterday at Nelson.  they made it back and competed at Road America.  The owner posted to a OneLap driver's group, and I figured I'd quote it here, to give y'all a sense of what the OneLap community (even the 'manufacturer funded' teams) are like:

Just wanted to take the time to thank EVERYONE who pitched in to help on the Cayman. It was almost overwhelming how many chipped in! It had been successfully patched up and on our way to Atlanta! Special thanks to Team Toyota, and especially Scott Donahue. I have lots of [drinks] to buy!

*Side note... honestly can't tell anything is wrong from the inside!

as Andy has said countless times in the past... "It's us vs. the event, not us vs. each other"

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/8/23 5:30 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

GRM Pete and I were in the garage when the Cayman came in.  Specifically, I helped with some plastic trim at the passenger rear wheel.  I did not make any of the earlier posts about it but the owner politely asked for "no pictures published" and it seems everyone complied.  

Without pictures...some cosmetic damage and plastic bits but it seems to be nothing that stopped him from moving forward.  Once things were sorted, and by that time the event was over, the owner took the car back on-track for a medium hot lap - road test.  The reports when he returned was all good.  Then, great guys who were helping him, got out alignment gear and started going to town!  It really was a good show of sportsmanship.  I didn't specifically recognize the guys helping him the most but a few things I noticed... 

1. The working guys were amazingly qualified.
  2. In general, the owner didn't have to do any of the work himself.  I would say the major extent of his work was to sit in the car and turn the wheel lock to lock.  I'm not saying the owner wasn't capable of the work he was just lucky enough to be surrounded by many who were highly qualified. 
  3. These qualified workers were competitors who also had an 11 hour drive ahead of them but didn't bat and eye at staying and helping.  Likely this cost them "sleep-in-bed" time.

I just checked.  Yes, the car put up both morning and afternoon times at Road Atlanta.  

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 6:34 p.m.

Made it to Nashville, but something is wrong--we just checked into the hotel, but there's a big bright thing in the sky. Is this... a hotel before dark?!

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J2lm8Z1HmYuWaDAO60RF4Ss8McRZNmhnvervybvJZaFTpry5kHqYYisEBVOPhKEB