6 7 8 9 10
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/8/23 6:37 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It is difficult to have fun if someone else is having a bad day.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/8/23 7:39 p.m.

Third sit-down of the trip. This is definitely not feeling like One Lap. 

Tom Suddard
5/8/23 9:15 p.m.

Bad news from Bimmerworld. sad

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/8/23 9:24 p.m.

Lifted from FB:  

Word on the street is that the AMC has a GM 6.0L and a T56 trans.  Many race track outlines on his back window so this is not exactly his first rodeo with this car.  

Is that sunshine under the right front?  

Fun fact learned Sunday...In this Mazda2 they are running a hot ecu that gives them more redline but that ecu does not have cruise control.  So, a pre-departure exercise is 2 screws and 2 large connectors to swap the ecu.  The ECU is under hood.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/8/23 9:33 p.m.

Also from a closed group FB page. I couldn't figure how to share this private video so I ended up using my phone pointed at my laptop. Because of this the sound is worse than the original. One commenter called this a brown flag moment!

The driver does stay on it!

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 6:42 a.m.

Gooooooood morning! Is this a balanced breakfast?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
5/9/23 7:02 a.m.

There may not be a livestream today, that team got hit by a possible tornado/funnel cloud...

in case the embed doesn't work:  https://www.facebook.com/onelapsolomon/posts/pfbid02TrV1RhpMpPfsEDi2ZnHSx8s6Spdk2MQtweQ8eLWTsUcc8D3HWr7QqSWgHNYM65zwl

based on the post, everyone there is ok, afaik

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 7:02 a.m.

Because we got to the hotel so early last night, we finally had a chance to review the data we've been collecting. Every time the car goes out on track it has my Garmin Catalyst running, as well as a standard action camera mounted to the passenger headrest to capture the driver. We spent over an hour looking through things to find answers.

Our big question? Why the heck was I beating 13-time national champion Andy Hollis. That should not be happening, so we started digging. And pretty soon a reason emerged: Andy and the VW are in a disagreement over turbo lag.

The GTI isn't horrible, but it is a small-displacement turbocharged car. There's a second or so delay between asking for power and getting it. And Andy, who's used to his Miata, CRX, or McLaren, hates that it takes the car a second or so to build boost when he's exiting a corner.

I drive different cars constantly, so I'm a bit more adaptable. I figured out that the fast way to drive the GTI is to stab the throttle immediately after turn-in, so the car can build boost while you're going through the corner. As Andy said "if I drove like that in the McLaren it would instantly drive off the track." And that's true, but this ain't no McLaren! So, Andy has some McLearnin' to do about establishing (bad) habits to overcome turbo lag.

We found lots of room for improvement in my data, too: I may be hitting the throttle at the right time, but Andy is generally more consistent lap to lap, and better at finding the correct line and track placement than I am. Part of this might be the turbo lag--I generally apex later at every corner, but I'm not sure how much of that is because my throttle strategy means I never know exactly when the car will start accelerating. Either way the data shows he's a better driver, and I'm going to try and steal as much of that wisdom as possible.

If we can each adjust our driving based on what we've learned, this is going to keep being a fun, competitive fight at each track. And we'll hopefully end up faster as a team, too. 

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 7:03 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

HOLY CRAP!!! We didn't notice anything last night. Wow. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/9/23 7:38 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

You are a brave man for eating that when you are going to be driving and not near a bathroom! Im gonna guess that is hampton inn and suites?  They had a relatively good breakfast. 

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 8:10 a.m.

Greetings from Nashville!

Car's unloaded, time to go scout the track on my scooter. 

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 8:19 a.m.

Time for a track walk (scoot)

I've never driven here, but Andy has a few times. This is also where he took the GTI to a track day last week on his way up to South Bend. He'll definitely have home field advantage. 

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 8:29 a.m.

This photo does a decent job of capturing the absurdity of One Lap:

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/9/23 9:15 a.m.

I am bummed that I completely forgot about the Nelson stop, was planning on going.

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 9:58 a.m.

Trailer tour time! 

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 10:15 a.m.

Almost time for our first session; dry track with a small chance of rain later means Andy goes out first, so we'll see what happens. He's going to practice fighting turbo lag and see how it goes. 

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 10:17 a.m.

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 10:36 a.m.

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 10:50 a.m.

Andy just got back and "finally figured out how to drive this stupid car!" He clicked off a string of 1:10 second laps, and seemed to be banking time on the Camry. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/9/23 10:51 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Andy looks like he's about to drop the hottest album of 2023.

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 11:52 a.m.

The Tesla had an off this morning and briefly became an electric lawn mower; apparently the car's computers freaked out due to a mismatched left rear tire (they're running one all-season after burning up two of their Michelins). Fortunately the car is okay and they have a replacement tire headed to Texas. 

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 11:55 a.m.

Lunch time!

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/9/23 11:57 a.m.

We handed the Catalyst off to pro driver coach and OLOA champ Tom O'Gorman to see if he could spot the technique differences between Tom and I.  It took him less than five minutes to find all of it...which took us over an hour.  If you ever need a driver coach, he's the man. 

Tom Suddard
5/9/23 12:17 p.m.

One Nap of America. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
5/9/23 12:42 p.m.
6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
otlVfqT6NWWFBY8g60MfZsLp4wun45jt7s69SsJQTFrMg2qqCXkSzQOEo2vCI6jr