G73
G73 None
8/14/08 10:25 a.m.

I was looking forward to seeing a Grassroots Motorsports entry at the 24hrs of Nelson's Ledges aka The Longest Day on Aug. 23 & 24th. I know it takes a great deal of preparation to run a 24hr event, but I have always believed that this was THE grassroots event in endurance road racing. Hope to see you there next year. Nelson's Ledges is a very laid back place for spectators to enjoy races. From a point at the exit of the last turn you can see about half of the track and the pits. Look for a Blue SVT Focus...see ya at the races.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/14/08 11:32 a.m.

According to reports, the entry list is way down for this year's event, with only 17 cars registered. I hope the event comes off, because I've crewed it twice and loved it.

G73
G73 New Reader
8/14/08 12:33 p.m.

Yes the enry list posted on Nelson's web sight does look a bit slim. I hope it has just not been updated for a while & that maybe there will be more last minute entries. If this is the last Longest Day ( lets hope not ) at least I can say I was there at the end.

jdw
jdw None
8/14/08 2:03 p.m.

I'm planning to be there to crew (#56). Working toward the crew trifecta this year: 12 hours at the point; Nelson; and the VIR headlight brigade. Endurance racing is the best.

dave

G73
G73 New Reader
8/26/08 12:24 p.m.

Dave, the #56 BMW 330i was running like a train when I had to leave early. I hope it all held together till the finish & 1st overall for your gang. Only 19 entrys but a good race I thought. Have the results been posted any place yet? I can't find them.

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
8/26/08 12:33 p.m.

Pretty sure I saw results on improvedtouring.com. The team I was with last year (#42 ITB Conover VW) didn't go this year, so I didn't make it. Hopefully with the changes that are supposed to be happening at the track, the event will go on, bigger and better!!!

G73
G73 New Reader
8/26/08 12:49 p.m.

Sorry to see the #56 had trouble. Great job by the #23 Miata. They ran a well paced race and stayed out of trouble.

Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
8/26/08 6:16 p.m.

Not to Hijack, but this site has some pretty cool pics of the original Longest Day events. I was with the Briody Peugeot and Razzberry racing Pontiac during that time - What a blast!

http://mwphoto.smugmug.com/Cars/5939

Scott

jdw
jdw New Reader
8/26/08 6:52 p.m.

G73, yeah we were doing great until fuel problems after midnight. we opened the fuel cell and made a fix, then had to chase down the 97 and 23 miatas, down 11 laps, which we did eventually. finally with about 4 or so hours to go, we got two wheels off and the rest is history. Lots of hard work got the car back on track after an hour or so, but additional damage was discovered that ended our day. Congrats to 23 - a former motorola cup car from what I was told. great job. plus there were a couple of teams that would not give up - rubber chicken's Rabbit GTI, the E30 (#30) that was in the paddock several times and even rolled near the end of the race but kept coming back, and the other E30 (#13 I think) that replaced a motor.

no idea why so few entries. i did hear that Nelson is about to be sold as a private club track, then at the event, the rumor was that the sale was on hold.

In any event, big thanks to Nelson and the folks to worked hard to put this event together. Can't beat it.

PS - hey spitsix, are you talking about Jim Briody? He was one of our drivers. Jim was competing in his 44th 24 hour race. He and his wife Pat are fantastic people.

jdw
jdw New Reader
8/26/08 6:54 p.m.

Oh yeah, and the Car and Driver Miata went home in pieces.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aYYKeSkI6xbnl0y65U4inl3GazwcPRAXzTUuJ61iITBYwG394oHsoDjAt0w4h3VS