David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/12 10:10 p.m.

There's now a quick link button to our new build thread/project car section of the message board.

Go play.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
8/10/12 10:24 p.m.

Great and thanks, i just noticed that.
Not to seem ungrateful, but the "build thread" still does not show up on the following mobile screen.
http://m.grassrootsmotorsports.com/

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/10/12 10:41 p.m.

I got a complaint.

The new button needs to go to the right of the OFF TOPIC button. We'll use the GRM & Off Topic buttons much more often than the Build Projects so they need to be first.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
8/10/12 10:55 p.m.

CarGuy,
Your suggestion is contradictory to how the items are listed here:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/10/12 11:33 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: There's now a quick link button to our new build thread/project car section of the message board. Go play.

Looks good.

The mobile site still needs some attention: this doesn't show the new forum http://m.grassrootsmotorsports.com/

...but this does http://m.grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
8/11/12 7:06 a.m.

I can't log in to the mobile forum, so it is read only for me anyhow.

I like the jump to buttons down at the bottom. Good addition.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/11/12 10:06 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: CarGuy, Your suggestion is contradictory to how the items are listed here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

Who cares how they are listed on that page. We are talking about THIS page. And since you will be visiting different forums from THIS page it will be simpler and more ergonomically correct to list the pages most visited side by side.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/12 12:06 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I got a complaint. The new button needs to go to the right of the OFF TOPIC button. We'll use the GRM & Off Topic buttons much more often than the Build Projects so they need to be first.

Good grief.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/11/12 12:08 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
jrw1621 wrote: CarGuy, Your suggestion is contradictory to how the items are listed here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/
Who cares how they are listed on that page. We are talking about THIS page. And since you will be visiting different forums from THIS page it will be simpler and more ergonomically correct to list the pages most visited side by side.

Obviously you are WRONG!

They should be in alphabetical order!

/sarcasm

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/11/12 1:33 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
carguy123 wrote: I got a complaint. The new button needs to go to the right of the OFF TOPIC button. We'll use the GRM & Off Topic buttons much more often than the Build Projects so they need to be first.
Good grief.

Yes, it's grief. You work on it once, but we have to deal with it every time we click from one forum to the next. That's the ergonomic portion I was talking about.

That accidental click to the build log over and over again adds up in time and frustration. It's simply a matter of doing it quickly or doing it right. We always talk about the importance of doing things right the first time. It's a small thing but something that will grow into a major annoyance to many people.

It's simple to fix and makes it easier on all your users.

njansenv
njansenv Dork
8/11/12 1:40 p.m.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/11/12 2:25 p.m.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, only helpful.

You obviously wanted feedback &/or a pat on the back for getting the button on the page for the new forum so I gave you some.

One of the more important aspects of building a web site is to make things easier for the user and not every little aspect will be perfect the first time. This is one of those little things that will cause miss clicks over to the build forum. Not all of us have access to super fast internet so waiting for google analytics to allow a page we don't want to go to in the first place load, quickly becomes an issue.

Right now the only ones on the forum are the weekend crowd (hear the echo?) so it's much easier to make changes now before the crowd gets here on Monday and things get rowdy. You can just delete the whole thread and begin a new one and few will be the wiser.

This is the automotive equivalent of having the ignition key down on the console or on the left side of the steering wheel, it works, but it's doesn't work as well as putting it where everyone expects it.

Swapping the side the volume and tuner knobs are on works, but what begins life as a minor annoyance turns into major grief after you've blasted yourself out of the car by hitting the wrong knob a dozen times.

The bottom line is that the GRM main forum and Off-Topic will be the most used buttons so why not put them side by side?

Right now most of the people haven't seen the new button so when they arrive on Monday and should be working but instead are catching up on the forum, they'll find the new button and be suitably AMAZED and will never know it was moved.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
8/13/12 9:24 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: I'm not trying to be argumentative, only helpful.

You're not helping. It didn't take me long at all to adapt and move on.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/13/12 9:35 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote:
carguy123 wrote: I'm not trying to be argumentative, only helpful.
You're not helping. It didn't take me long at all to adapt and move on.

Umm... yeah... I've ended up in the Build forum a couple of times when I meant to go to Off Topic. I'll live...

redneckmama
redneckmama
8/13/12 9:46 a.m.

I've got to agree with Carguy. One guy can make one change, one time or ALL of us have to make a change everytime we misslick.

I'm on limited bandwidth as well and a hitting the wrong button takes up a lot of my time, plus causes me aggravation

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
8/13/12 1:40 p.m.

what carguy's talking about is basic web usability, and he's right.

actually, at this point, given that there are currently 7 items linked out down there, I'd personally move them to an auto-triggering selectbox, but that's neither particularly relevant.

What is relevant is the order of the items, and carguy is dead on.

while ya'll are mucking about there, it might be a good time to remove the digg and delicious links. and probably the mail a friend, since absolutely no one uses it.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
8/20/12 11:40 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Great and thanks, i just noticed that. Not to seem ungrateful, but the "build thread" still does not show up on the following mobile screen. http://m.grassrootsmotorsports.com/

I noticed the same problem...seems it was already brought up, but I figured I'd bring it up also in case this was unintentional.

Bryce

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/20/12 12:36 p.m.

Wow.

We gonna talk politics, or pie??

I've got much bigger problems in life.

Thanks guys!

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
8/27/12 11:49 a.m.

FWIW, Joey's points on the mobile site are still valid. A Jump to... Build Project link would be nice. Anywhere in the list....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cdEkMBeRjif4SIPfemiGj53G4tnZtECOswlCwLZSZoARW3QWWkqmzn3COuxsMFtY