SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
10/13/09 12:08 p.m.

My roommate Miles Fox (you BABE-ers know him) had the tires slashed on his Toyota camper a few months ago, and we want to get it going again, but the rear tires are seemingly unobtainium. It was running 265/70-14 bias-ply tires, which we can't seem to find ANYWHERE. I can't find a size that's even close. Any recommendations from you guys?

TJ
TJ HalfDork
10/13/09 12:18 p.m.

265/55-17 exist and are about the same size. Not sure if new wheels are an option or if he needs to stick with the 14" wheels.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/13/09 1:35 p.m.

No such thing in 14" , as far as I know the biggest you can buy is 225/70-R14, and has been for years. I suspect the tires on his camper must have been pretty old anyway.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Reader
10/13/09 1:51 p.m.

check with the 4wd crowd, I seem to recall seeing 28inch tall 14's in a truck mag a few years back. I was looking for off road tires that fit 14's.......hey I was looking at buying a sammy, looking back on it, I should have pulled the trigger on that deal.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/13/09 2:56 p.m.

Is this a dually one-ton camper? I had one of those and it had "185r14 LT" tires on it. There was no aspect ratio listed. They're not cheap tires because they're like 6 or 8 ply or something "heavy duty" for the intended use. I think westphalia campers might have used the same size...maybe. I mention that because those guys will know what tires to get and where to get them.

But I might be talking about something completely different. The one's on the camper I had were certainly not 265mm width. They were on, probably a 5 or 6 inch wide wheel.

Clem

btp76
btp76 Reader
10/13/09 4:01 p.m.

I saw that "truck" at LeMons. Doesn't that thing have the super common 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle? I would suggest some cheap ford or dodge 15" steelies with 255 - 70 - 15s.

MilesFox
MilesFox New Reader
2/13/10 10:26 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Is this a dually one-ton camper? Clem

This is actually a single wide tire. I have heard of stamped dually rims but they were more common on 3/4 ton 'mirage' campers and such. this one is a 'chinook'.

I called the junkyard. I can get wheels for 30-45 bucks with tires. I'll tell them ford or dodge 15's. They dont keep an inventory of wheels there, but if there is a car in the yard with wheels on it, then i'll be good to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lFfWLKKg3VwNV8u3mremoBUFgISEoX3c05WgxNk8x39ilnK6Nl8P5TvffmSsL5bB