Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
8/24/24 9:33 a.m.

Might be checking out a '96 S-10 (gasp) for Driveabeater status.   Should be 2wd std cab, 4.3/auto.    Nonrunning at this time; I think it has been sitting a while.

Can anyone hive me the 411?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/24/24 10:12 a.m.

Probably that bastard fuel spider has failed causing the inop status.

Beyond that it's a more well rounded/refined version of the square nose previous gen.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/24 11:00 a.m.

Fuel pump, spider injectors, and MAF are where I would start.

The 4.3L is an SBC with two cylinders missing, so it's a tried and true platform.  Not really refined, but plenty of torque and power for that truck.  It's paired with a 4L60E which is a great transmission and more than enough for that V6.  My only complaint is the first gear ratio is incredibly low.  GM did that in the 80s when they stuffed 5.0L wheezers in big boaty cars that needed a little help getting moving, but in a more modern setup, it's just annoying.  In a situation like if you're towing and merging on a highway and floor it, the 1-2 shift sends the tach too far down and the whole thing will feel like it's falling flat on its face.

They're capable towing rigs.  Solid axle, enough torque.  The 7.5" rear axle will take some weight, but it won't take a ton of torque, so if you fall into the super-easy trap of LS swapping it, make sure you address that.

Double check the undercarriage for rust.  GM's brake lines from that era are notorious for getting crusty.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/24 11:15 a.m.

There's a ton of them in the south, because they live forever outside the rust belt. I think rust and extreme neglect are the only things that can kill them. I loved my 2001 Sonoma ZQ8.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/24 11:17 a.m.

Also, paging Dusterbd13, because he knows them inside and out.

8/24/24 11:22 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I was hoping to lure him out with the "Driveabeater" mention.  wink 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/24/24 12:03 p.m.

I know they look killer with C5 wheels and can fit the rubber without any real modification other than spacers. 

Relevant outside forum post

grover
grover Dork
8/24/24 1:49 p.m.

Late 80s s-15's are where is at. Red with fatty tires preferred. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/24/24 5:41 p.m.

Mechaniclly easy to work on and cheap to maintain. 98+ has a nicer interoir. If its not rusty, do it. Pull the trans stick and be sure the fluid isnt burnt to tar though.

Caperix
Caperix Reader
8/24/24 5:53 p.m.

I've got a 96 4.3 5 speed that has 330k plus on it, not sure the actual miles as I got tired of not having a tach & swapped in a blazer dash.  The 98 + saw quite a few  changes in suspension & interior.  They will run forever but have thin metal so don't take to rust or fender benders well.  Plenty of info on modding them into whatever you want if you go that route.  96 has the small sealed beams that are horrible, there is a blazer composite setup that will work with the core support for a bit of improvement 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/24 7:09 p.m.

I had an 89 squarebody with an LS1 and T56, still on the 185mm whitewall rubber.  Fun doesn't even begin to describe that.  I also had an 02 ZQ8 that was actually really capable on the track.  No Miata, but quite spirited.

Neither one ever gave me an ounce of trouble.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
8/24/24 7:20 p.m.

I see very few S10s where I live in the south, but I live in the mountains so maybe they are all rusted away. I see old Rangers 3 times as often for some reason. 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
8/25/24 12:34 a.m.

I like the ZR2 version, but I have seen multiple examples for sale that were junk because they needed cats that cost more than the cost of the whole truck, or the monitors wouldn't all run. If you don't have to worry about functioning emissions controls it's probably fine but I'd probably not get one living in California.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/25/24 1:22 p.m.

There's an "Xtreme" version for sale by me. I always loved that look, wished for a Syclone version in that style

Why didn't, they, anyway? They sure had the look

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/25/24 1:32 p.m.

Joining the conversation.  I own a 1st gen, but am picking up an xtremely roached out 2nd gen soon.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/25/24 2:15 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, paging Dusterbd13, because he knows them inside and out.

Here's his S10Forum link.

8/25/24 6:41 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

That's some good info.    The S-10 I was interested in only had one photo that conveniently didn't show the front end.   However, I looked at a different vehicle the seller had and now need to reassess my interest in this particular one due to the fact that is has been smashed in the front...  

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/25/24 9:21 p.m.

Oooh that might be an S10 SS. Color matched grille, those wheels, and the year fit, I believe they were from 1994-1996. 

8/25/24 10:58 p.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

It is an SS.

They went 'till 1998.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
8/26/24 9:34 a.m.

Only issue I ever had with them was clotting antifreeze.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/26/24 10:23 a.m.

I had some issue on a free 2.4 way back when and without funds or convenient internet I got nowhere with it. Never had any power. I was firing the scrapyard parts cannon at it and came up flat. We tried time and again and would go on uneventful test drives around the block. Eventually we got into bad habits such as not latching the hood. 
Finally one day we replaced something up top that gave it enough juice to get over idle speed. My friend was driving and as we celebrated with MORE speed and then BAM the hood snapped up and shattered the windshield in our faces. LOL 

THAT was a surprise. Hahahaha

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1jHLBIUiTWOAN83IKgOhZBll2V963YkQjXg1t8mV0evVOeou0xQ7TJOOEFIZwLNq