J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/17/24 11:48 a.m.
feature_image

You heard correctly–the Whelen Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by Michelin will race door handle to door handle on the famed Martinsville Speedway on October 26.

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/17/24 11:49 a.m.

Two-piece suits required? (Note: That comment was mainly for JG’s benefit.)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/17/24 11:52 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Two-piece suits required? (Note: That comment was mainly for JG’s benefit.)

Hot is hot.

And I think it's either clickbait and they;re just making the announcement FROM Martinsville because they happen to be there, OR...

MX-5 Cup. Which would be unbelievably awesome, especially for the Flis' parts sales.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/17/24 12:03 p.m.

After they did the test, I joked with my buddy about racing for the win by just running through the pits on every restart.  He said he'd spot for me.  

If anyone wants to sponsor, let me know.  I have experience at Martinsville.  

David S. Wallens
7/17/24 12:16 p.m.

MX-5 at Martinsville would be awesome. 

Flis will need to bring an extra truck full of fenders. 

David S. Wallens
7/17/24 12:17 p.m.

And while we await the big news, some (possible) related watching:

JG Pasterjak
7/17/24 1:00 p.m.

Todd Flis just shared this on his personal socials so I'm gonna say that's a clue.

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/17/24 1:14 p.m.

You're going to have to explain to me why that would be worth watching.  I don't get the appeal of any racing on an oval track and multi-class racing on one seems like an even worse idea.

David S. Wallens
7/17/24 1:21 p.m.

I’m thinking this times 30 or so would be pretty exciting. 

And, JG, check it out: Ed Senf in the background!

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/17/24 1:22 p.m.

I went and found that video trying to see what it was all about but I need less talky-talky and more zoom-zoom, I think...

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
7/17/24 2:06 p.m.

I have been to Martinsville and it was the first NASCAR race I had ever attended and I brought my 11 year old son with me.  Disappointingly, it is a super-short track and cars can't even get up to speed before hitting the brakes.  If there was ever a track to induce insanity, this is it!  I think it was by lap 5 (only 495 to go!) I asked my son, "Hey, want to go get a hot dog?"   The Mazdas would be better on such a track, don't ask me why, but I can visualize it.  If they put in some cones, that just may be fun to watch.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
7/17/24 2:28 p.m.
wae said:

You're going to have to explain to me why that would be worth watching.  I don't get the appeal of any racing on an oval track and multi-class racing on one seems like an even worse idea.

I agree watching roundy round on short tracks not very interesting. Especially when there are a lot of wrecks. But actually driving on a short track asphalt is very different than road racing. You pretty much have to be on the gas and on the edge all the time. I ran a 1-off SCCA race on the Phoenix oval. H-Prod plus other classes. There were no car-on-car wrecks.

JG Pasterjak
7/17/24 2:33 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Do you think Jr. is excited that he got to drive the same car I did?

J.A. Ackley
7/17/24 2:34 p.m.

100 laps on October 26 for MX-5 Cup. 

David S. Wallens
7/17/24 2:41 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Do you think Jr. is excited that he got to drive the same car I did?

Oh, totally. I saw him mention it on his IG. 

J.A. Ackley
7/17/24 3:18 p.m.

One added bonus: a NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour 200-lapper to run with it. They should put on a good show there!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
7/17/24 3:41 p.m.

I'd bet this will be pretty entertaining.  I'll be looking to tune in!

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/17/24 3:43 p.m.

The added exposure for the drivers will be a bonus.  Some have worked their way into higher classes of racing like ARCA Menards and NASCAR Xfinity.  This could help other talent get noticed.

nderwater
nderwater MegaDork
7/17/24 6:42 p.m.

I imagine this race will make for a pretty entertaining highlight reel.  Get your yellow flags ready, boys.

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
7/18/24 9:37 a.m.
DavyZ said:

I have been to Martinsville and it was the first NASCAR race I had ever attended and I brought my 11 year old son with me.  Disappointingly, it is a super-short track and cars can't even get up to speed before hitting the brakes. 

I have to wonder, what were you expecting?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/18/24 10:34 a.m.
ross2004 said:
DavyZ said:

I have been to Martinsville and it was the first NASCAR race I had ever attended and I brought my 11 year old son with me.  Disappointingly, it is a super-short track and cars can't even get up to speed before hitting the brakes. 

Probably a NASCAR race like all the ones on TV. I've only been to one - Daytona - and it wasn't until after that I learned that restrictor plate races aren't as much fun. You don't have to be a big fan to attend a race, sometimes it's just a matter of being close to one and saying "oh, maybe we should check it out".

Ask me which races are restrictor plate races and which ones are on super short tracks and I'd have no idea. But I'd still go to one if the opportunity presented itself.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
7/18/24 12:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
ross2004 said:
DavyZ said:

Probably a NASCAR race like all the ones on TV. I've only been to one - Daytona - and it wasn't until after that I learned that restrictor plate races aren't as much fun. You don't have to be a big fan to attend a race, sometimes it's just a matter of being close to one and saying "oh, maybe we should check it out".

Ask me which races are restrictor plate races and which ones are on super short tracks and I'd have no idea. But I'd still go to one if the opportunity presented itself.

Sounds like Davy should have gone to NASCAR at Daytona and Keith should have gone to NASCAR at Martinsville! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YWcPkk0EE3S0kzZHP5isB0XO51s0anw8j6qnvFI1voqFJnrsmh2zEsoqQHVt1PuD