btp76
btp76 Reader
3/13/14 7:55 p.m.

The misses drives an 09 Mazda5 with 90,000. It's had a front end clunk for a while. The noise sounds like strut mounts. I tried to get lucky and replaced only the sway bar end links. No luck. Today I did struts and mounts. They both were needed, but didn't clear up the noise. I don't know when I'll get it on the lift again, but I'm not sure what to look for when I do. Suggestions?

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
3/13/14 7:58 p.m.

Sway bar frame mounts?

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/13/14 9:55 p.m.

I developed the same thing on my Ford Focus after touching just about everything on the front end, including the subframe. I looked for, but didn't see anything particularly obvious.

When I was assembling the car, I did notice that my catalytic converter bracket (where the cat attaches to the engine) is broken. It was just resting on the bracket when I disassembled, so I did the same upon reinstallation. I was planning to replace it anyway, but could this be the culprit?

My issue arises at hard motion changes; accelerating, turning, braking.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
3/14/14 7:43 a.m.

It's it the cowl/windshield clunk I've heard about?

Plus I believe there's a TSB regarding F&R sway bar bushings as well.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
3/14/14 8:28 a.m.

yeah, there is a number of TSB's on various clunks and noises in the Mazda5's suspension. I'd do a search for those and see what comes up.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
3/14/14 9:54 a.m.

The sway bar bushings would be my bet. It's easiest to lower the subframe a bit as access is nearly impossible otherwise. I did the job without it but it would have taken way less time and expletives by lowering the subframe an inch.

I did the end links at the same time. I think the upper mounts are bad on the van again at 145k now. I just did a lot of work to it so I'm not motivated to tear into it again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xltNnNo1CeA5GXQdgRPScWFQ71bet3IhMLvAwV3IwSqyMfycz4PAhIcGaarlEUD6