1 2
accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
6/21/21 5:11 p.m.

Btw, I really appreciate all the input. Hopefully I can get this sorted.... I think I'll try the trans mount since it's original and probably needs replaced already and then move onto passenger axle if nothing jumps out at me....

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
6/22/21 5:54 a.m.

Upper strut mounts?

not that it sounds like them but they go bad often and can cause all sorts of bizarre. 

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
6/22/21 9:13 a.m.

I've got to be honest, to me that sounds like either a tyre problem, wheel bearing(s) or the diff.  Considering some 3s seem to like wheel bearings, it could be worth trying there first, other thing would be to drain the transmission fluid and see if anything nasty came out..  When diffs start to go the fluid normally either comes out sparkly, or like a greyish sludge..  Considering when you're coasting you still have the noise, I can't see it being any of the mounts, unless they're so far gone something is permanently rubbing on something that's rotating...   Good luck.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
6/22/21 11:11 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

Btw, I really appreciate all the input. Hopefully I can get this sorted.... I think I'll try the trans mount since it's original and probably needs replaced already and then move onto passenger axle if nothing jumps out at me....

When I changed the clutch in my Spped3 at 80K the trans mount was junk. But it did not make any noise like you have. My left rear wheel bearing was making the sound you have. The bearing was not loose.

accordionfolder
6/22/21 11:36 a.m.

In reply to sergio :

Could you feel it in the steering?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/22/21 2:57 p.m.

That's a wheel bearing.  Take a passenger, and argue about which side it is.  It wont have any slack at this point, and it probably won't make very much noise with the wheels in the air, unloaded.  Take off the brake caliper and rotor, take the axle out of the hub and spin it by hand.  Any noise when its free and unloaded is too much.

Or just change both.  And don't try to save money by hunting up the cheapest ones at Rock Auto.

accordionfolder
6/22/21 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I've already done the front right recently. I hope it's a rear wheel bearing, they're bolt on rather than press. I hope it's a wheel bearing period, that'd be much easier than a lot of what's talked about.... 

And I only buy/replace OEM or verified better than OEM parts.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/22/21 4:35 p.m.

Wheel bearing is the most likely culprit, that would be why it sounds like a tire even though the noise doesn't move when you rotate wheels. Have you noticed increased pad knockback on the track? That's often the first sign of wheel bearing wear.

accordionfolder
6/22/21 5:08 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

The poor MS3 has mostly been retired from track duty since the ballistic trashcan and the scaffolding rocket do most of the track duty... But ALL my stock caliper Mazdas have terrible pad knock.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
6/22/21 6:54 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to sergio :

Could you feel it in the steering?

No

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2dOqBm9qQ1jStBmosxyCDaJU75rBI75fb8MXEiu8423uWMtEbtBJIiA8qgxMUMMn