3 4 5 6 7
mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/4/17 2:47 p.m.

Pretty good start. Some of the plastic flappy bits decided they weren't interested in coming along for the trip. Years of rallycross finally took their toll. We've got things trimmed and reattached sufficiently. Might be a slight aero penalty, but we think we'll be ok. Also greased the new rear swaybar bushings because they were super squeaky on the way over. Buttoned up and headed north!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/4/17 2:50 p.m.

I'll see you boys Saturday morning!

grover
grover New Reader
5/4/17 2:52 p.m.

oh man, i've got a feeling about this one.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/4/17 3:04 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I'll see you boys Saturday morning!

Come and find me, I'll be watching.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/4/17 3:07 p.m.
grover wrote: oh man, i've got a feeling about this one.

It's a Honda with 109k miles on it. Despite the wrecked plastics the car has been taken care of. Co-driver has owned it from new so all of the history of the car is known. Didn't And Hollis buy his car a week ago? We'll be fine.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/4/17 3:33 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: I'll see you boys Saturday morning!
Come and find me, I'll be watching.

i'LL probably be chasing cones.... but if I can I will!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/4/17 5:27 p.m.

There is a drone issue. Anything above 65 or so is pretty bad. Anything above 75 is getting painful already. I mentioned earplugs. Co-driver has a 100 pack in the center console. God bless him.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/4/17 5:59 p.m.

Roadkill is apparently doing one lap this year, im guessing you wont break down as often as them!

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
5/4/17 6:23 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

I bet the hood comes off their car in under 6 hours.

grover
grover New Reader
5/4/17 8:42 p.m.

Gotta be those little window cover things.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
5/4/17 10:01 p.m.

There's a reason they call it 'racers tape'

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/4/17 10:08 p.m.

We have a brand new bag of 100 zip ties. We could attach ALL the body panels with that many.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/5/17 8:48 a.m.

Brief sleep. My co-driver did a 900 mile day yesterday. The first 150 was to my house. That's 200 miles longer than our longest transit will be. Easy from here on out.
Tech and registration ends at 3:00 today. We should be there at about 1:00. We were aiming for noon but neither of us remembered time zones last night at 1:00 AM.
Pictures and what not incoming.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/5/17 8:55 a.m.

South Bend is Eastern Tome Zone.

If you travel just a few miles west of SB then it becomes Central Time Zone.

But, SB is Eastern

Grissom Air Force Base is also Eastern.

Memphis is the only track that will be Central Time Zone.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Reader
5/5/17 11:57 a.m.

We're at lunch across the street... will be backbover around 1:30

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/5/17 2:11 p.m.

Made it!
Applying stickers. Getting the tires painted in tech. Our peers.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/17 2:13 p.m.

Do you have to run Michelin tires or do they have templates for other brands?

The roof carrier on the Porsche =

hhaase
hhaase Reader
5/5/17 2:59 p.m.

Speaking of stickers...... If you see Soloman Rosenthal, can you give him a friendly reminder that he promised me a full set for my MR2 project?

-Hans

hhaase
hhaase Reader
5/5/17 2:59 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Do you have to run Michelin tires or do they have templates for other brands? The roof carrier on the Porsche =

Lots of tire brands to choose from, Michelin pilot sports just happen to be a popular choice. As I understand it, Tire stickers will match the ones you're running.

grover
grover New Reader
5/5/17 4:52 p.m.

Is the tire painting just an easy way to see if you're running approved shoes?

hhaase
hhaase Reader
5/5/17 6:34 p.m.
grover wrote: Is the tire painting just an easy way to see if you're running approved shoes?

Nope, they're actually heat stamped at Tire Rack to show they are approved.

I'd say they're painted both to prove you didn't change to your spare without permission, and possibly a requirement of all the tire sponsors for the event.

grover
grover New Reader
5/5/17 6:54 p.m.

I'd seen the heat stamp, I just figured this made it pretty easy to check from 100' away. All of this stuff is new to me, I grew up in a drag racing family.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/5/17 7:08 p.m.

Tire Rack sells tires. Tires are important to them. You have to buy tires for the event from Tire Rack, and they give you a very nice discount. They stamp OLOA2017 into the sides of the tires. At tech they paint the manufacturer of the side of the tire and give you a sticker that corresponds with your tire that you need to run on the front fender. I assume a lot of this is to make tire manufacturers happy, which they must be because Fallen and Michelin both have factory efforts.
Tonight is our chill night. Hanging out at my brother in law's house and watching Captain America on their super plush electric reclining couch. Tomorrow we start accumulating points.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/6/17 5:29 a.m.
dropstep wrote: Roadkill is apparently doing one lap this year, im guessing you wont break down as often as them!

I'm dying to see what they bring.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/6/17 6:09 a.m.

Just a hellcat Challenger.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vBEVMmyZzSMp6lpokvAvfjpebqOSkGpBbVs0NijKkRARWDqqPGjawZVrSvQ4MGZL