Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/12/22 10:00 p.m.

A friend has an NB that he side swiped into a curb. He needs new rear control arms and asked about the Megan tubular racing arms. I know nothing about these things. Are they any good?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
7/12/22 10:12 p.m.

Megan Racing is possibly the oldest and most well known eBay Chinesium brand. They are like Rota in that they have been making cheap parts for so long now that they have actually established a small amount of credibility.

The only thing I have ever heard about their Miata control arms is that they don't fit without modification, but that is from a sample size of one on ClubRoadster, so YMMV.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/12/22 10:27 p.m.

Lots of people have tried to make aftermarket control arms for Miatas, but from what I have seen in various online posts most of them are weaker than stock arms in some way.  It appears to be a lot harder to improve on Mazda's design than most people think, although I'm not sure why.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/12/22 11:49 p.m.

Because with stamped steel you can direct the forces better. With tubular arms you can only deal with straight lines. By the time you've made them as strong as stock, they're at least as heavy. To make things worse, most of the designers have no idea what a load path is and are just designing for looks. So you end up with machined triangles that do nothing and loads being fed into the middle of tubes. The front lowers in particular are hard to improve on due to their shape. 

Woody, tell your friend to sign up for Mazda's team support program, do two autoxes or track days a year, and get OE factory parts cheap. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/13/22 9:34 a.m.

Thank you. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/14/22 10:32 a.m.

Can Treasure Coast Miata help? And if it's not listed in stock, I'd still suggest calling them. 

spedracer
spedracer New Reader
7/14/22 1:25 p.m.

I've seen problems reported even with the bling being V8Roadster control arms. If I were just trying to get back on the toad I'd find some stock parts. Its a Miata, can't be too hard to find the parts new/used.

YoursTruly
YoursTruly New Reader
7/14/22 3:50 p.m.

There is a shop called Miata Fix in Alabama that usually has some arms in stock for a good price.

https://www.themiatafix.com/shop

First page has lower rear arms.

JAdams
JAdams Reader
7/15/22 9:24 a.m.

In reply to YoursTruly :

And he's really close to the Miata Reunion location!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fsdOmmUmQCDDbLd6TAHYWHlaCpvcG8ukCsQJIqXLieL2IFsZm5n4sXgWadLWzqLk