jdmae92
jdmae92 New Reader
6/13/08 4:06 p.m.

I am trying to replace the suspension on my miata starting in the rear. The lower 17mm bolts just spin when I try to take them off, any tricks to get them out? Also, one of the top bolts in the trunk is rounded off, how can I go about getting it off?

Keith
Keith SuperDork
6/13/08 4:34 p.m.

Ugh. There are two potential causes for what's happened.

1. Those bolts go into a captive nut that's welded into the inside of the control arm. If it breaks free, you can't remove the bolt. You might be able to hold it in place with a screwdriver through one of the slots in the bottom of the arm - although you're going to need some luck and lots of penetrating oil. After all, it's stuck badly enough that it broke that nut free...

2. The bolt is rusted to the inner sleeve of the bushing on the shock, and it's ripped the bushing apart. So the bolt won't come out at all. Time to start cutting.

As for the nut in the trunk, that will take the usual "round nut" tricks. Smaller sockets, better sockets that grab the flats instead of corners, cutting, etc.

jdmae92
jdmae92 New Reader
6/13/08 10:45 p.m.

I will choose option 1. I looked up in that small opening while turning the bolt and I can see the captive nut turning.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
6/15/08 9:20 a.m.

If this is the bolt I remember, then You will need to get out the grinder with a thin cutting wheel and make acces hole. I cut it so that I could bend back the tab and then pound back into place and re-weld.

Oh, and while in thee, I WELDED the dam nut in place so I would not have to re-visit. I hate caged nuts.

Pete

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
6/15/08 10:26 a.m.

Or, you could source a cheap pair of lower control arms...Thats what I ended up doing. You will need an alignment afterwards, but you probably need one anyhow after a shock change. And lots of antiseize when things go back together!

Joey

jdmae92
jdmae92 New Reader
6/16/08 12:09 a.m.

Where did you get your control arms? edit: nevermind I found some cheap on ebay. Thanks for the tip.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sPjvdm8C0atrh3OKkX3G0vXBKDs0ke85ImQ352R6Ajat2wEPeeBmQgRwvNxAElIU