confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/9/08 7:29 p.m.

I am looking at finally replacing my Miata's top. The plastic window had turned yellow, opaque, and shattered just when I bought it and I replaced it with riveted-in lexan. That worked, but I can't put the top down and it kinda leaks.

Here's what I'm looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Miata-90-91-92-93-94-95-96-97-1-piece-convertible-top_W0QQitemZ310065086970QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310065086970&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

What do you think? I want another plastic window since it's cheaper, larger, and original. Eventually, it will be removed when I turn to Spec Miata (hopefully next year) but it's gotta make it through the GRM 2008 Challenge. It looks like this one will cost me about $270.00 shipped. It also comes with the rain rail (and I don't know which part that is!).

Edit: I see other posters have used Daveshouze tops. I have looked at the listing and it looks like a better solution. I just need to make sure I get a rain rail.

Super-Edit: OK. I just bought it. lol. Daveshouze top and rain rail. We'll see how it goes.

MEGA-EDIT!: I purchased the top and rain rail separately. It probably won't show up attached to anything.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/9/08 11:02 p.m.

Uhhh, glad we could help?

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
7/10/08 12:00 a.m.

I installed a daveshouze top on my car about a month ago and all is well thus far. Unfortunately they sent me a top without the rain rail which wasn't what I ordered. That tacked a few more days onto borrowing cars and left a bad taste in my mouth that they weren't more prompt in sending out a rain rail or willing to cut me a break since it wasn't installed, like the one I paid for.

Josh
Josh Reader
7/10/08 1:45 a.m.

The rain rail doesn't need to be riveted to the top, that's just done for ease of the manufacturing process. You actually got a bonus by getting one that's not attached, becuase if you ever have to replace the top, you won't have to drill out the rivets to save the rain rail.

I am doing ok with my cloth/glass daveshouze top. I need to fix a few things still (tighten the straps, reroute the flap, install extra wear patches under hinges), but I am confident it will last well, it looks good, and it fits pretty well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4kUk5QOA0VYvmH1uylnxhsV6QdOe7G9XNVDPh0UIbL2LoYhhOuuxsBpkfb56Wb0I