1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/20/24 8:16 p.m.
crxmike said:

I have thoroughly enjoyed my base 986 boxster and a 997 is on short list for future mid life purchase. Where did you find this one listed? I watch BAT but most of the 997 go for crazy money. I know they are likely only to appreciate if cared for, but I don't know that I can swallow the BAT prices. 

The flip side of "appreciate if cared for" is what my brother in law is facing. He has a 997.2 cabrio with full service records, so he feels he can only get it serviced at the dealer in order to maintain the value. Problem is, the nearest dealer is more than 250 miles away on the other side of two 10,000' passes. It's a bit inconvenient to say the least.

I drove his car before he did. I said at the time that a 2WD coupe with a stick would have been a much more engaging drive than his 4WD automatic convertible. PMRacing's car is probably a whole lot more fun.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/20/24 8:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

That really is a lovely car. I did a variant on that. Bought a 2011 C63 AMG (The last of the NA V8s). My son gets to use it as his daily as long as he keeps his grades up, and his graduation present will be the pink slip. In the mean time, I get to use it just often enough that it feels a huge treat when I do. 

Nice! That was our favorite F1 medical car :) Too bad we never got the wagon here.

I think that I got it at the right point in the depreciation curve. Suspect this model will retain value like a well-kept M3. I love that car, and if my son sells it, I may disown him. ;) 

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
7/20/24 8:43 p.m.

I only have one complaint about this car.  I can't drive it to its potential on public roads!

My wife loves driving it, and my daughter loves riding in it.  That alone makes it worth it.  I'm planning on passing it down to my daughter one day. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/20/24 9:13 p.m.
PMRacing said:

Cars and Coffee this morning.  My daughter loves the frunk.

Michigan pretty lax on letting kids ride in trunks (frunks)?

spandak
spandak Dork
7/21/24 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Automatic convertibles are at the bottom of the 911 curve of valuation. I won't say he's wasting his time....but he's probably wasting his time. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/21/24 3:37 p.m.

In reply to spandak :

If your goal is to be seen while driving around in a Porsche, it's perfect. That's his goal. The badge on the front is all that matters to him. But he's convinced it's an investment. S'ok, he's an overall idiot.

spandak
spandak Dork
7/21/24 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ah. I assumed he was one of us

I suppose the 911 has always been a status symbol but it has really taken off in the last 10-15 years. Shame too, they should be driven. 

back to the OP, lovely car and I hope it brings many smiles!

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
7/22/24 11:28 a.m.

In reply to crxmike :

Also keep an eye on PCA classifieds I like buying from owners. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
7/22/24 11:29 a.m.

In reply to crxmike :

Also keep an eye on PCA classifieds I like buying from owners. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qWrPy7nTScL3kbLjppII2pfFnFPmp4i6amGrmtXPXKyYCxTVKyIUxf9Oqe0KJkeI