1 2 3
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
11/16/12 2:36 p.m.

While I'm not entirely sure what modern moonshiners really use (if you think the firewater is gone, you may not get invited to the right parties), I would bet on stealth over speed. The plan gearheadotaku and JohnInKansas hatched is pretty amusing, but I'd bet on a plain Camry or Accord, maybe with some suspension and engine mods, being a more popular choice. Or just about any pickup truck.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/16/12 2:51 p.m.

I'd hide the barrels under bales of medicinal marijuana in a Dodge Sprinter.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
11/16/12 3:07 p.m.

I have actually thought about this. Who is going to think otherwise?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/16/12 3:29 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: I'd bet on a plain Camry or Accord, maybe with some suspension and engine mods, being a more popular choice.

The thing I've noticed is how many criminals (of all types) who get picked up because they do something stupid on the highway - they speed, or cross the center line, or have a broken taillight.

If you had a silver Camry and never broke any traffic laws, you could do pretty much anything you want.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/16/12 3:39 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I need a utility trailer to haul my strongman equipment with which includes Atlas Stones, huge Tractor tire annnnd, several beer kegs filled (with various things) for loading etc. Kegs (mbe not filled with 'Shine) are an integral part of a strongman contest. I've hauled my stuff to parks before I had a big yard. It was a normal thing to have several kegs, sleds, farmers walk handles and weight plates in my pickup at all times. I am reminded of the fun talk my buddy and I used to have regarding being a successful criminal. We always thought the best way to be super OBVIOUS. As in breaking into a place wearing uniforms, turning on all the lights, pulling up the shades and use mops and brooms while a third guy similarly dressed would be robbing the place blind.

Threadjack:

I've always wondered if that strongman stuff is standardized. Like, if you're lifting a tractor tire, is there an international standard for size and weight, or does it just vary contest to contest? Or, are there rough guidelines like the contestants should move so much weight over roughly this period of time?

jg

Hal
Hal Dork
11/16/12 3:42 p.m.

<-- would work very well. Maybe even better if it was a different color but it has all the other characteristics needed.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Reader
11/16/12 3:54 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: I have actually thought about this. Who is going to think otherwise?

I had one for years and of my whole fleet, it was the only truck that never had an issue with the DOT. They would just wave it by.......

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/16/12 3:57 p.m.

P71

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/16/12 4:11 p.m.

too soon?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
11/16/12 10:27 p.m.

The couple of times I hauled loads in the 60s was in a Rambler Station Wagon. Just threw a quilt over the load, didn't break any traffic laws & stopped at a country store for peanuts & a pepsi.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/16/12 10:51 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: too soon?

is that WW?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
11/16/12 10:54 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I need a utility trailer to haul my strongman equipment

WTF?

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/16/12 11:05 p.m.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/17/12 9:37 a.m.

If the goal is to outrun them in all conditions. I'd think any of the popular platforms for turbo rally cars would be a good choice. If the goal is to never be suspected in the first place, but still have the ability to outrun if your cover is blown, then I'd go with one of those newer turbo awd taurus. Make it look like an unmarked police package car.

As an aside, I don't understand the moonshiners show that is on now. I can understand one season where there identities revealed after the fact....but go into the second season, why aren't the cops just following these guys?

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
11/17/12 9:54 a.m.
Cotton wrote: and forget the Troopers...they used to be everywhere and now you hardly see them.

Because they're all here in Knoxville pulling me over

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/17/12 10:52 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: While I'm not entirely sure what modern moonshiners really use (if you think the firewater is gone, you may not get invited to the right parties),

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/17/12 11:08 a.m.

In Alaska, the preferred vehicle appears to be a turboprop http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/us/13land.html?_r=1

winding road's list of modern bootlegging cars

Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Volkswagen Tiguan Volvo XC70 T6 AWD Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart Nissan Maxima Ford Taurus SHO Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Acura RL SH-AWD BMW 550i Gran Turismo Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/lists/list-ten-best-modern-day-bootlegging-vehicles/

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
11/17/12 2:28 p.m.

a school bus -- with kids

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
11/17/12 2:42 p.m.

Sorry if part of my reply was a threadjack. I didn't want to lie about actually HAVING a trailer but I need one and I figured several kegs loaded up with the other equipment wouldn't raise any suspicions. Several kegs WITHOUT the other equipent would be suspicious I guess.

(btw, to answer a question above and to further threadjack) there are no standardized weights for the implements. Weights are announced weeks or months before the contest as well as what must be done with them. ok, Im done.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/17/12 3:03 p.m.

Beige and fast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07CU52B5MXo

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
11/17/12 3:16 p.m.

You want something ratty, you want to look ratty, but you want the car to be 100% street legal.

Why? Cops are more likely to pull over clean cars with clean looking drivers, those drivers are more likely to pay their tickets and care about losing their license. This is why you never get trouble driving the old beat up hauler truck around wearing your dirtiest working clothes, the cops figure you wont pay the ticket or be concerned with the consequences. My first traffic stop was years after getting my license, long after I stopped driving like a hooligan all day, right when I started waxing my car and put a muffler on it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
11/17/12 3:19 p.m.

What about driving an old restored moonshine car... like a perfect replica of what started it all?

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/17/12 3:34 p.m.

Ex-challenge car, gotta run and handle like stink but you're not gonna wanna put a lotta coin into something that could be confiscated or lost when ya have to ditch it and abscond on foot.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/17/12 4:33 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: What about driving an old restored moonshine car... like a perfect replica of what started it all?

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
11/17/12 7:57 p.m.

I like the septic truck idea, but getting one through the woods would be tough. Ill take a 90's Z71 with a camper shell. I want to look like a hunter out in the woods.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zd34y0tE97A5XPNoQLXwYhchoOnLUsEHnxGS7vkZD4KwcxN0lKpJBxcUMHUitVqN