Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
6/18/09 5:20 p.m.

No I am not doing it. Yet at least.

Though it would seem that with the larger sport bikes this is not a horrible idea for a ITB intake. Does anyone have thoughts? I know its been done for 4 cylinder car motors, but has anyone seen it on a Small Block?

Greg55_99
Greg55_99 New Reader
6/18/09 5:50 p.m.

I haven't done it... but... It's been done..

http://www.altiss.com/ShowImage.php?ImageFolder=ThrottleBodiesPage&Image=TB9

Greg

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
6/18/09 5:59 p.m.

Here's a shot of two sets of motorcycle ITBs on a V8.

Thread on the adaption.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212982

alex
alex HalfDork
6/18/09 10:29 p.m.

Can we subscribe to threads? If so, I'm subscribing to this thread.

oldtin
oldtin New Reader
6/18/09 10:59 p.m.

I talked to the folks at extrudabody about fitting ITBs on a ford 5.0. After talking to them, it seems like 2 sets of hayabusa throttle bodies could work using a base plate over a GT-40 lower intake - fabbed tube runners to the busa base plates and ms controller (horizontal mount). I think the bike ITBs are 45mm - pretty comparable to a 5.0 with a weber stacks (another option - weber manifold with ITBs - vertical stacks). Too much of a noob - haven't figured out how to attach photos yet.

cxhb
cxhb Reader
6/19/09 12:28 a.m.

hardest part would be dampening map pulses... that is if you are using a map sensor. A vacuum log would help dampen that. If you have an AFM or MAF you would need to make a plenum for it somehow with piping to it but where is the fun in ITBs if you can have sock filters on them and hear them roar? you could always tune for it using alpha-n...

ITBs dont make massive power gains. For some reason the import crowd thought ITBs meant huge horsepower. somebody correct me on this if im wrong but... dont ITBs just make a motor way more responsive and somewhat better on the mid-range/upper rpms depending on the runner/velocity stack length? either way... on a v8 i bet it would sound awesome.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
6/19/09 12:31 a.m.
cxhb wrote: ITBs dont make massive power gains. For some reason the import crowd thought ITBs meant huge horsepower. somebody correct me on this if im wrong but... dont ITBs just make a motor way more responsive and somewhat better on the mid-range/upper rpms depending on the runner/velocity stack length? either way... on a v8 i bet it would sound awesome.

No, ITB's don't make tons of power by themselves, but once you up the compression and throw in a wicked camshaft then ITB's will really make the motor sing.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
6/19/09 2:45 p.m.

I know that it is not neccessarily the way to make big power, but man do they sound good.

Really, I think strip EVERYTHING off the engine and use actual carbs, not some new fangled electronic body with throttle plate thingy majigs. ;) Tuning could be fun, but hey that would be the point in it really I guess.

Its something that I will eventually get too. Just not now. I have enough on my plate.

I wonder how stripped you could have a SHO V8 and it still run?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/19/09 2:53 p.m.

It would still weigh too much... then spin a camshaft and destroy a head!

oldtin
oldtin New Reader
6/19/09 3:17 p.m.

rover v8 w/webers http://www.britishv8.org/MG/ClassicWheelsBerlin.htm

I think throttle bodies are simpler than carbs - it's the control function that gets complicated. runner length will change torque characteristics - short runners = torque/power at higher revs - long runners = torque/power at lower revs

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XzBeMZnXOHOOTWYRAZiyZ4fSI0awuQSi7P18syWy34iJo0Gp2fSDRkUASSf1y00e