codrus
codrus Reader
6/14/13 12:39 p.m.

So I've had my open trailer for a few years now and I'm getting tired of toting the spare trailer tire around in the back of the tow vehicle because there's nowhere to put it on the trailer itself. It's a standard, cheap, steel frame, wood-deck, dual axle, beavertail open trailer:

Since that picture was taken, I've mounted a trailer box on the tongue for holding tiedown straps, etc:

I tried one of these mounts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BWE7BY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but it doesn't fit with the box on the trailer tongue. Set as far back on the tongue as possible, the tire rubs the truck bumper on hard turns.

I've thought about trying to mount it under the deck using a hoist from a pickup, but I don't know how well that would work. I've also thought about making an overhead tire rack at the front that could hold the trailer spare as well as race tires, but I'm not sure I'd ever use it for the race tires and it would presumably cut into milage while towing.

Any other ideas?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/14/13 12:44 p.m.

Side of trailer in front on the fender? As long as it doesn't stick out further than the existing wheels. Might be able to use the mount you tried for this.

Mount under the deck is what I would go for. Keeps it out of the UV.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
6/14/13 12:52 p.m.

I would mount it under the deck as well, below the tool box or a little more back. Maybe get one of those spare tire reels from under a pickup/suv to make it easier to raise/lower it.

peter
peter HalfDork
6/14/13 12:56 p.m.

While I like the idea of hiding the tire from UV rays by putting it underneath, I'd think you're more likely to check its condition and inflation if it's somewhere accessible, on the side like Apexcarver suggested.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
6/14/13 12:56 p.m.

This thread is pertinent to my interests.

I don't like the underside situation, because I think I will drag it across humps and through hollows. Might work, but it concerns me. I'm going to mount mine on the right hand side of the deck in front of the wheels...if I ever get around to it. I still have to carry the ramps strapped down on the deck, but I've only owned the trailer to 8 years.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
6/14/13 12:57 p.m.

Fender mount + spare tire cover = win/win

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
6/14/13 1:01 p.m.

This is my trailer (& Road Runner). I run into the same problems with mounting spares up front.

The weight distribution hitch gets in the way. I have a pair of old Jeep Wrangler tailgate spare tire mounts that I'm planning to mount under the front of the deck. Getting to them will require raising the tongue jack, sliding under, then dropping the spare on me when its unbolted. Not the best plan, but better than nothing.

I would like to use a couple spare tire winch mounts from a pickup or minivan or similar, but any of the ones in yards around here are rusted out.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/14/13 1:26 p.m.

I welded a mount to the trailer frame in front of the right side fender. It's readily accessible from the safe side if I stop on a highway and it's right there to check the pressure while I'm checking the other four.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/14/13 2:10 p.m.

why not mount your spare to the top of your tongue box?

patgizz
patgizz UberDork
6/14/13 2:29 p.m.

i just keep it strapped laying flat on the deck at the front right corner of the trailer. most of the time it doesnt need to move.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
6/14/13 4:03 p.m.

On your trailer I would go passenger side in front of the fender. I would also toss the mount you bought and pick up a replacement hub with bearings and an axle stub from a trailer supply place. Weld stub to the bottom of the frame and your tire will still be off the ground if the axle bottoms out but it won't stick up on the side any more than the fender.

I have never regretted having a spare set of greased bearings ready to go.

Alternately, if you move your box forward on the tongue enough to stand the spare up between it and the bed can you still use the tongue jack?

codrus
codrus Reader
6/14/13 4:14 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i just keep it strapped laying flat on the deck at the front right corner of the trailer. most of the time it doesnt need to move.

Hm. I don't think there's room to do that on mine -- not without either interfering with where the Miata tiedown straps want to be, or moving in inboard where the front bumper would hit it. There's only about a foot between the bumper and the box when the Miata is in its usual spot.

Mounting it on top of the tongue box is an interesting idea, although I don't know if the gas strut in the box would like the extra weight. I'm also trying to keep the box watertight, so I'd rather not drill more holes in it than I have to. I'll have to experiment with that.

I'm not too worried about it hitting stuff when mounted under the deck, because the trailer basically never goes anywhere that isn't paved and there's enough clearance that something sticking down a few inches shouldn't hit. The tongue bars/etc stick down 4 inches below the deck, so if the tire were mounted flush with the bottom of the deck, there'd only be a few inches extra. OTOH, there isn't a great place for it -- up front it would need to be pretty much in the center to avoid the tongue rails, which makes it a PITA to get out when needed.

The side mount sounds the most promising, but it sounds like it requires fabricating a bracket and welding it into the trailer rails. Since I have neither a welder nor the skill to operate one, I guess I'd need to find a shop. :)

codrus
codrus Reader
6/14/13 4:18 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: On your trailer I would go passenger side in front of the fender. I would also toss the mount you bought and pick up a replacement hub with bearings and an axle stub from a trailer supply place. Weld stub to the bottom of the frame and your tire will still be off the ground if the axle bottoms out but it won't stick up on the side any more than the fender. I have never regretted having a spare set of greased bearings ready to go. Alternately, if you move your box forward on the tongue enough to stand the spare up between it and the bed can you still use the tongue jack?

Hm, the axle stub + hub is an interesting thought. I don't know if it'll fit on the frame in front of the fender (there's an extra rail at that point), but I'll look at it the next time I've got the trailer out.

I don't think there's enough room to move the box forwards.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
6/14/13 4:52 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I welded a mount to the trailer frame in front of the right side fender. It's readily accessible from the safe side if I stop on a highway and it's right there to check the pressure while I'm checking the other four.

I did the same thing

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/14/13 4:59 p.m.

Mount this on the sid you'll need to drill 4) 1/4 holes in the deck and then cut out between two holes to make slots for the flat stock bars to pass thought.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Fulton/FSTC1000301.html

They have others listed a "bumper mounts" that fold down those are nice if you think it might get in the way when loading you can fold it down an snap it up when loaded up.

I've see the type with a spare stub axle and hub before but never seen them listed for sale in a catalog.

Hit a fle market for a tire cover from a jeep to keep UV ray damage down.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
6/14/13 4:59 p.m.

When I needed to mount a spare I cut of the end of an old axle and welded it to a plate that I bolted to the frame of my trailer just in front of my fender. I also covered it with a spare tire cover but only after coming to the trailer one day and finding the top of my spare tire blown out.

For many years I didn't even have a spare but that's was because the tow vehicle and trailer both used the same size wheel & tire, if I had a flat I would just use the vehicle spare. When that tow vehicle was sold I was forced to mount a spare.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
6/14/13 5:43 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I welded a mount to the trailer frame in front of the right side fender. It's readily accessible from the safe side if I stop on a highway and it's right there to check the pressure while I'm checking the other four.

This gets my vote also too.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/14/13 6:16 p.m.

Do this.

Or - - - I bolted a bar from left to right near the front of the tongue in front of the tool box, then put a 1/2 - 20 threaded bolt down.

Use lots of Never-Seize, it's in the wind behind mud flaps.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
6/14/13 9:32 p.m.

^ What Datsun1500 said is the first thing that crossed my mind. Also someone mentioned the back of the box, shouldn't have to move the box. By what it appears in the first pic, there is room in front of the car on the trailer.

codrus
codrus Reader
6/15/13 12:51 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: ^ What Datsun1500 said is the first thing that crossed my mind. Also someone mentioned the back of the box, shouldn't have to move the box. By what it appears in the first pic, there is room in front of the car on the trailer.

The winch (which I forgot to mention in the original post) gets mounted on the deck immediately behind the box. I don't leave it attached permanently because the trailer is stored at a storage place and I don't want it disappearing, but I've got it set up so that I can install it on the trailer in just a couple minutes. As it is, the trailer length is marginal for winching up the Miata and securing it, there definitely isn't room to move the winch back 8 inches to make room for the spare in front of it. It's a 16 foot trailer deck.

Side of the box is possible, but runs into the same problem with rendering the box less watertight. It also makes the box harder to access.

I'm liking the idea of putting it on the side rail just in front of the front axle.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
6/15/13 9:52 a.m.

I just lay mine flat on the V section from deck to the coupler.
I repurposed some spare tire hardware (threaded rod, wingnut, washer, etc.). The hook on the threaded rod goes to a loop welded to my center beam.
I see that your trailer has just two beams, so a simple piece of angle or such welded under them to attach the threaded rod. You can even get a vinyl spare tire cover to put over it if you want to keep out the rain.
Use some kind of lock to prevent it from 'walking away'.

Carter

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
6/15/13 12:36 p.m.

Weld a bracket to the trailer in front of the box and mount the spare upright... Hopefully it would be low enough to clear the tool box handle and far enough back to clear the trailer jack handle...

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/15/13 12:53 p.m.
shadetree30 wrote:
This gets my vote also too.

my vote too

I be thinkin' 2" sq tube welded to trailer frame would be stout enuf, assorted scrap steel bits to adapt to wheel w/ provision for lock

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1X0dbfnCEqvLkrUKEVSXlhFhcbeugw5QjfNN11hgSbgzu3MgvPjIgYbDgkmPmgaf