Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
2/20/13 10:52 a.m.

Hey guys,

Never thought I would do this, but I have to ask you guys what should my next fun toy be. So far it seems I have had AADD when it comes to most cars aside from my 79 RX-7, and 74 REPU. I have had the truck for 10+ years now, and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. The RX-7 has been with me for 7+ years, and it isn't leaving either. The problem I have been having has been trying to find a cool four seater to use during the summers when I can't use the RX-7 or REPU.

First it was a 77 Datsun 510 coupe, then my 74 RX-4 coupe, then the 77 RX-3 SP that was what I wanted, but totaled 6 days after buying it. Next came the 83 Sapporo, followed by my 90 Mitsubishi van, and now I have the 77 Corolla liftback SR5 that I just got for a good deal. The thing is I already know I don't want to keep the Corolla, but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Heck maybe I will like it once I start using it, but at this point I am not thrilled with it like I have been with all my other cars.

I had a deposit on the car I really want up until this morning when I got it back from the seller after waiting 6 months for a title on the car. That car was/is a 73 Mazda RX-3 wagon that is all original aside from a E36 M3ty paint job the seller put on it. It really is the car I want, but I am sick of the games he seems to be playing. It shouldn't take this long to get a totle even here in difficult MA.

So what do you guys think should be my next vehicle? I am open to almost anything, but I want it to be unique/different enough that I won't see myself going the other way, but not so bizzare that I can't find a part or two here or there if need be. I really lean very hard towards the Japanese cars as you can see, and love rotaries so keep that in mind. I like German cars a swell, but have never owned one, and know almost nothing about them. No VW's is my only request. I like old air-cooled VW's, but I am not sure they would suit my needs anyway.

My budget is sort of fluid, but lets cap it around $7-8k including shipping if it is not local(very likely). It needs to seat 4 comfortably. I know my RX-7 can seat four with the 2+2 configuration, but it isn't safe for my kids ages 6-10 so I need a car with a real back seat. Also I prefer that the body, and paint be decent enough that I can live with it. I can do mechanical stuff, but body, and paint isn't something I am even remotely good at.

Thanks,

Chris

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
2/20/13 10:55 a.m.

P71?

EDIT: IN ON ONE!

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/20/13 10:55 a.m.

I wanna see photos of the REPU! Also from what you described I can confidently say 04-08 rx8 (if you and your family aren't very tall)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
2/20/13 11:02 a.m.

y'all know my answer.

J308
J308 Reader
2/20/13 11:09 a.m.

I've always been impressed with Nissan's "sport" offerings. Every time I start looking at Spec-Vs/SE-Rs, I either get scared off by something or run across something else. They are my GSX-R of the car world, I've went to buy once 3x and ended up with something else every time.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
2/20/13 3:27 p.m.

This is the only pic of the REPU I can hotlink at the time:

By the way I love wagons. I assume that is a Volvo up there a few posts. If so I like that idea, but are they available? Bonus points if you can get one in wagon form with a column shifted manual. My first car had a three-on-the-tree and I loved it.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
2/20/13 3:37 p.m.

Nice repu!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
2/20/13 3:40 p.m.

$8K might get a decent RX8, and they seem to fit everything on your list - oddball, Japanese, rotary, and a back seat.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/20/13 3:51 p.m.

It definitely is a nice REPU. It's funny, The first time I saw it running around my town (I live a town over from Chris), I said to myself that the owner must read GRM. I was right!!!

I've been thinking in German lately, mainly because most of my friends have BMW's or recently bought a BMW. E30's are cool, but aren't practical when you are hauling the occasional kid around, so what about an 80's vintage 535is, 633csi, or 635csi? Those may meet your needs, and you should be able to find a nice example in that price range.

Some motivation...

And it's almost 2015... Just saying...

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert Reader
2/20/13 4:04 p.m.

Pre-smiley face Mazda3. '04 Corolla with turbo kit. Focus ZX4.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
2/20/13 4:57 p.m.

Oh I forgot to mention I would like to stay with the older stuff, say maybe nothing newer than 1990 or so. I thought about the RX-8, and owned one new back in 04-05. I loved the car, but I like simple old style cars more, so I would love to stay vintage if possible.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
2/21/13 4:45 p.m.

Anyone else?

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/21/13 5:09 p.m.

audi 5 cyl wagon ?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
2/21/13 5:26 p.m.

Not bad! Are they reliable?

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/21/13 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

they are the reliable audi's, especially NA. no newer fancy electronic gremlins like the late 90's early 00's audi's. Much simpler. Like anything that old it will likely need the usual brakes, bearings, bushings.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
2/21/13 5:40 p.m.

Alfa Milano? Fits 4 people (if the people in the back seat are small), unusual, fun to drive, easy to work on, and parts availability isnt too bad. The only not so good things are the headlights are really terrible, they dont have much ground clearance, and a few of the parts are pretty expensive (like windshields and clutches). They are available cheap too, a nice one wouldn't be more than $5k.

kurk9
kurk9 New Reader
2/21/13 5:50 p.m.

How about an older Subaru legacy(1990 or so). I think they look alright and they will haul your kids just fine, japanese, flat four, AWD.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
2/21/13 5:50 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: y'all know my answer.

my knees are weak...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xUOFkYuypMnavJd9ov6p1KEtu8O786ZuayQV4FudxxGPVc3ODt6nmefl8G3hTyyx