AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
6/23/16 6:10 p.m.

So I'm typically to tired after autocrossing to pull my numbers off. As a result I usually end up driving to work on monday with my numbers still on the car and not getting around to removing them until i get home in the afternoon. After the last event the big boss saw my car and asked me what the numbers were for and I briefly explained autocross to him. I figured that was the end of it.

Yesterday he approached me in the lunchroom and asked me to write a page for the company newsletter about what it's like to be a racing driver. This kind of caught me off guard but I agreed to do it. Now I really don't know where to start.

Now I'm not a racing driver. I've got 10 years of Saturday night drag racing, half a season of autocross and a pile of demo-derby and figure-8 style races. Hardly fascinating reading...

I'm thinking about actually pivoting the article towards the deceptively low bar to entry for racing and an invitation to people to stop wasting time and just go after their goals be they racing or otherwise.

but... I'm in over my head. I welcome any input.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/23/16 6:17 p.m.

Simple. Write about what you know. Why you do it and why it I so much fun. And since work is paying you for it try and tie something in from racing to your job or your company.

How dies racing make you a better person? Answer that and it becomes a human interest story.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
6/23/16 6:19 p.m.

I lIke the idea. I think the general "get off your ass and do something" would be more interesting to more people and it sounds like you may be more comfortable doing that than talking about yourself.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
6/23/16 6:20 p.m.

Explain what performance driving is about - accelerating, braking and sliding the car enough to be as fast as possible without losing control. Describe the adrenaline rush of keeping the car on the edge, and the feeling of victory when you make a tough pass. Then explain that they can try it to, in their street car, at a local autocross event.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/23/16 6:31 p.m.

I was going to say rent Rush, watch, take notes, be an instant star

Better advice so far...

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
6/23/16 7:53 p.m.
AClockworkGarage wrote: Now I'm not a racing driver. I've got 10 years of Saturday night drag racing, half a season of autocross and a pile of demo-derby and figure-8 style races. Hardly fascinating reading...

Ahhh, but you ARE a racing driver. And I also think you have the right idea for encouraging people to just get out and DO something...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
6/23/16 8:03 p.m.

Don't forget to throw in the part where women think you're sexy because you're a race car driver.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/23/16 10:15 p.m.

I'm in the camp that says try to get others interested. Explain how competitive driving has made you a better driver on the street. Highlight the low entry bar. Since it is a work piece, you may want to include how the focus, memory, planning and preparation help you in your job, too.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
6/23/16 10:46 p.m.
noddaz wrote:
AClockworkGarage wrote: Now I'm not a racing driver. I've got 10 years of Saturday night drag racing, half a season of autocross and a pile of demo-derby and figure-8 style races. Hardly fascinating reading...
Ahhh, but you ARE a racing driver. And I also think you have the right idea for encouraging people to just get out and DO something...

And that is fascinating stuff to people who've only ever seen it on TV. Maybe include a paragraph about how a complete newbie can sign up for a local AX or street racing night at the local drag strip with thier DD and have a ton of fun even if they are hopelessly uncompetitive.

Edit: I have a real life example. A few years ago I went to street night at Cecil Co raceway. My nearly stock SAAB C900 turbo managed a 14.98, respectable for what it is, beat a MK2 GTI, and that was with a terrible reaction time. I spent the rest of the night working on RT and didn't care about anything else.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
6/24/16 6:27 a.m.

Write about how a wise old racer once said, "if you're not afraid, you're not going fast enough." Then proclaim that you don't consider yourself a racer as you've never encountered a speed fast enough to instill fear in you and that the only fear that you've experienced from motorsport is that of vanarial diseases that could possibly be contracted from the throngs of groupies and that you're particularly concerned with those with the name of Amy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/24/16 6:31 a.m.

On the low entry bar thing, I've been wanting to see (maybe write) an article for a while about how it repeats itself as you climb- so not just "the average car guy can easily afford to go autocross/rallycross" but "the average competitive autocrosser can afford to do time trials, the average competitive TT guy can afford to go road racing" etc. I at least found this to be true with rallycross/rallymoto/stage rally.

I pissed away a lot of time and money not understanding that trying to be even a medium sized fish in a small pond isn't that much cheaper than being a small fish in a slightly bigger pond.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/24/16 6:35 a.m.

Tell your boss in order to write this article well you will need to do some research and need him to send you for a week of race driving classes at Bondurant.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
6/24/16 7:21 a.m.
AClockworkGarage wrote: I'm thinking about actually pivoting the article towards the deceptively low bar to entry for racing and an invitation to people to stop wasting time and just go after their goals be they racing or otherwise. but... I'm in over my head. I welcome any input.

Nah, I think you're on the right track ... or at least enough to get a basic outline going.

Start with the "Anybody can do this with their street car" aspect, hit on a few types of similar events such as rallycross, segue into how autocrossing and other entry level racing venues are safety focused, spend a bit of time on the "race on the track, not on the street" viewpoint, then finish with how to locate your local venue to get going.

Keep it all upbeat, focus on how fun and safe it is, how it improves you as a driver, and how you much you can do without spending a fortune.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
6/24/16 7:28 a.m.

Some thoughts you might touch on: 1. Fast n Furious is not racing. Racing is about car control and good judgement, not gritting your teeth and taking big risks. 2. Organized races have safety rules, fire extinguishers, helmets, and emergency response plans and personnel. 3. Street racing is dangerous. Autocross is safe. [Stoopid people are always dangerous.] 4. Straightaway speeds are meaningless. Cornering speed is everything, which requires great skill and car control.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane HalfDork
6/24/16 7:56 a.m.

Also, I always like to mention that the car control found in autocross should be in every drivers education program taught. I made my younger sisters do at least one autocross when they were learning to drive, and it really helped them to figure out what their car will do if an emergency ever pops up.

I plan on making my children do a few before I sign off on them going off alone.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/24/16 8:12 a.m.

Remember your audience has no idea what it is that you are doing so keep it at the 10000 foot view and an entertaining, light read. Everytime I read one of these types of things in a club newsletter or something I want to choke the author for unexplained assumptions and making it sound like some sort of exclusive club that took some real bravery to participate in. It's cars in a parking lot fer chrissakes. Avoid acronyms or slang terms without a definition too ... or just avoid them altogether. Just make it sound fun, safe and exciting so maybe someone reading will get off the fence and come join you.

kb58
kb58 Dork
6/24/16 9:05 a.m.

^This. If "PAX" or "index" is in your article you'll lose everyone. Auto-X has problems attracting spectators so keep it light and simple.

nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
6/25/16 9:16 a.m.

I'm in the group of the low bar thing.

+1 to the bondurant school

sergio
sergio Reader
6/25/16 12:10 p.m.

Find some You Tube "How to Autocross" videos to link to in your article. Explain how autocrossing is low risk for human and car damage, but is pegged on the adrenaline scale. Pushing your street car to the limits and beyond in a parking lot will make you a better driver on the street. The whole family can autocross one car. Sons and daughters can learn more in a season of autocrossing than in 3 years of street driving.

Touch on HPDE days to really get a feel for what racing is. If the HPDE bug bites....

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/25/16 2:01 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Write about how a wise old racer once said, "if you're not afraid, you're not going fast enough." Then proclaim that you don't consider yourself a racer as you've never encountered a speed fast enough to instill fear in you and that the only fear that you've experienced from motorsport is that of vanarial diseases that could possibly be contracted from the throngs of groupies and that you're particularly concerned with those with the name of Amy.

I never feared speed. Sudden stops scared the hell out of me.

Oh ya and fire. That was probably my worst fear

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
6/25/16 3:38 p.m.

So every year I take the Datsun or the Formula 500 to one of the local elementary schools for career day and talk about being a "racing driver". I focus on the fun aspect but slip in how the skills apply to the wider world.

What I'd put in the article is how you've tried a few forms of motorsprts and currently autocross. I'd mention you don't need to be a race car driver to enter an event, how some people go on to professional series, the enhanced car control skills, thinking under pressure, talk about fun and of course the great people at events. The boss will probably appreciate the camaraderie aspect.

Tom

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
6/25/16 4:01 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Fire was the fear for me and the one considered most when planning races and safety for them when working for a sanctioning body.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MrXAKxpflxO25A1hnlcmtb3nC9dxjGwAT1EdnuT8APDPaJ3LuPQXYoN65lNpM99j