1 2 3
dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/20/09 2:55 p.m.

Note to self: never piss you off.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
2/21/09 4:26 a.m.

At one point I had 4 Miatas and the Ranger living at my house. One of the Miatas was one that a buddy bought for scrap with a "blown transmission." (it had a broken U-joint.) Anyway, I got a note on the door from the city stating that I had unregistered vehicles on my property. Soooo.. I took the plate off of one of my registered Miatas, hid that one in the garage, and put the plate on the salvage car. Left a note on the window that said "sorry, they're all registered and legal." FWIW the broken Miata was on the side of the house behind my pickup truck.. someone definitely came on my property to check for tags. When I moved them around I backed the truck up until it was touching the fence just to piss them off (even though it had a current tag on it.)

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
2/21/09 7:00 a.m.
walterj wrote: If the car cannot be seen from the road then someone was trespassing. You need one or all of: A viscous dog, a shotgun, a security camera... send the pic to the local cops and report a perv snooping about. Or... just get a legal tag for the car.

What if you attached the shotgun and camera to the vicious dog?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/21/09 9:13 a.m.
deadskunk27 wrote: There's a subdivision near where I live that ran into problems with enforcing their rules and covenants a few years ago. Short version is that one homeowner wanted a particular rule on fencing enforced on his neighbour. HOA takes the neighbour all the way to court on it.The judge asked if ALL the rules and covenants were routinely enforced. The guy with the fence could show that they weren't ,so the judge ruled that the whole rulebook was essentially worthless because it was clearly selective enforcement and discriminated against some, but not all residents..

I wonder...if this would work well reliably/repeatably...it would be a really good angle as I bet you can find this "selective enforcement" in LOTS of cases like this.

Clem

walterj
walterj HalfDork
2/21/09 11:11 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
walterj wrote: If the car cannot be seen from the road then someone was trespassing. You need one or all of: A viscous dog, a shotgun, a security camera... send the pic to the local cops and report a perv snooping about. Or... just get a legal tag for the car.
What if you attached the shotgun and camera to the vicious dog?

The camera would be all filled up with nut-licking and the siding would be all shot up every time a squirrel ran across the roof.

psteav
psteav Reader
2/21/09 12:15 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote:
deadskunk27 wrote: There's a subdivision near where I live that ran into problems with enforcing their rules and covenants a few years ago. Short version is that one homeowner wanted a particular rule on fencing enforced on his neighbour. HOA takes the neighbour all the way to court on it.The judge asked if ALL the rules and covenants were routinely enforced. The guy with the fence could show that they weren't ,so the judge ruled that the whole rulebook was essentially worthless because it was clearly selective enforcement and discriminated against some, but not all residents..
I wonder...if this would work well reliably/repeatably...it would be a really good angle as I bet you can find this "selective enforcement" in LOTS of cases like this. Clem

Hypothetically, this is the way its supposed to be. The two problems here are 1) local judges are usually elected or at least have to be retained via a confidence vote, so they're going to do what pisses off the fewest people. Thus, sometimes the "right" decision gives way to the most popular one, especially in minor civil stuff. 2) It's getting to the point that most HOA's, especially in newer or more upscale neighborhoods, do enforce the whole rulebook or at least make an effort to.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/21/09 12:29 p.m.

I'd NEVER want to live in a neighborhood w/ an HOA. It gives nosy people a license to be nosier.

I don't want someone telling me that I can't leave my garage open for more than 10 minutes.

I'm lucky enough to live in a neighborhood where people take pride in their homes (Italian-Americans are known for being very anal about their yards) and they don't need nosy noodnicks telling them what to do.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
2/21/09 12:32 p.m.

It is a good thing I do not have money.

I would quickly squander it by buying property in problematic HOA areas, and then selling it for a dollar or two, just to counter-piss them off.

Nothin' says lovin' like property devaluation.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
2/21/09 8:49 p.m.

My dream is to have enough money to buy up 2/3 of my neighborhood, amend the deed restrictions to eliminate the HOA and a few other things, and then sell the 2/3 off again.

When I was going 'round and 'round with my HOA last year, I actually did the math to see what this would take (roughly $10.5 MM cash).

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
2/21/09 11:37 p.m.

I'm no lawyer but..

Your car is on your property, correct?

Let them tow the car, then report it stolen.

At the very least, they're trespassing. That's illegal too isn't it?

I dealt witht he city and nosey neighbours where I live. Our bylaw guy is a car guy and is pretty decent to deal with, we get along ok.

I told him that I just want to play by the rules and be left alone.

According to bylaws I can have as many cars as I have driveway to put them on. My driveway is two cars wide and six cars long, it goes from one end of my lot to the other and theres sweet berkeley all they can do about it.

Also, the bylaw guy mentioned that if the cars are under car covers, no-one knows if they're classics or rot-boxes and the only way to find out is to lift up the cover. If your neighbours are looking under your car covers, that's trespassing and that's against the law.

Good luck with your fight. I think there is a special, private hell for HOA members.

Shawn

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
2/22/09 11:18 a.m.

You need a NO Tresspassing No Soliciting No Jahova Witness sign to ward off any unwanted advances on to your property

car39
car39 Reader
2/22/09 5:01 p.m.

One of my friends has a condo with underground parking. Each unit has one pass, one place. One of his neighbors parked his 66 Merc Maurader under cover in his spot. After a year or so, one of the parking Nazi's informed him he had to move the car. He fired it up, and moved it one spot to the right. Parking Nazi has a fit, that's not what he meant. Merc owner points out, Parking Nazi had TWO cars parked in the garage, one illegally, and there are no restrictions on how long a car can be parked. Parking Nazi has to park his illegal car outside, Maurader gets to rest in the garage. Merc guy 1, Parking Nazi 0

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
2/22/09 5:20 p.m.

When I was going to school in San Diego in a condo I had someone self-appoint themselves the parking authority and give me a hard time for parking my car covered in the guest parking. The original paint is crazing and I hate to park my car in the bright SoCal sun b/c it eats what is left of the rubber seals. The guy was a turd and tried to give me a hard time, but I continued to park there with my car covered. The guy even lifted my car cover and took down my plate number. I could never deal with a nasty HOA, you are paying them 100s of bucks a month to harass you.

speedblind
speedblind New Reader
2/23/09 2:07 a.m.

I can't stand HOAs. To me, it's the empowerment of nosy and or chronically bored people that want to pry into everybody's business but are somehow incapable of knocking on a neighbor's door when they have a problem. I lived in an HOA neighborhood for 2.5 years (or so). Got routine complaints about cars in the street...as in, a car parked on the curb next to my house. Also got numerous "fines" for weeds in the yard, which was funny considering the house next to me was abandoned and much worse.

The HOA's one brilliant move was passing a requirement that anybody filing a complaint had to give their name, and that name would be supplied to the homeowner. Amazing how little people complain when there's some measure of accountability involved.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/23/09 6:35 a.m.

I was against HOA's until I moved to Charleston SC. Now, I happily put up with it. You wouldn't let your kids play outside in a neighborhood without an HOA in many spots around here. A strong HOA helps keep out the ne'er do wells and the uncle bubba's with 5 bass boats. Broken shutters, windows, front doors, and 4 inch thick mold on the side of homes is what happens in non-HOA places around here. Maybe it's just cause I live in North Chuck.. :-)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RL6XgPPpyEGWJ2QZQJNQfXGjTlAHHnjqXRCfb4uClqkoDxnsvIebl9P4ez9Im4Dt