1 2 3
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/31/24 2:14 p.m.

Last night I was on the phone with my sister telling her about the Foxbody Mustang.

As we talked the subject turned to her 1998 F150 V8 5 Speed truck. When I mentioned that a new Civic or Camry would suck the paint off our cars she said "there is no way, my truck has a V8"

Sigh these are the perils of having family members who aren't car people. 

DannyDattos
DannyDattos New Reader
8/31/24 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Muh truck habba Vee eight! Ill BLOW the DOORS off dem JAP CRAP RICE BURNERS!!! 'MURICA! Gobless

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/31/24 2:37 p.m.

Once, while in the military, I got in an argument with an idiot.  This was 2010ish.  

She claimed that her fox body, which was an auto and had a fresh stock engine rebuild, was racing a brand new GT and she whupped him.

"Thats not possible.  They weren't racing you."

"You weren't there, what do you know?"

"You said you were on 85 in Ft Walton?  No one races there. Cops are all over the place.  You were just speeding."

"What do you know!? Youre just a three level!"  (Sidenote for those not in the USAF, jobs have several levels of proficiency. 1 means you are in school, 3 means you passed school but need to be supervised, 5, 7, and 9 are the other levels and this isnt that important to the story)

"WTF does that have to do with anything? We don't street race in our job..."

"Shut up!"

She was the only person Ive worked with that I ever actually got close to hating.  Not for this encounter, but it didn't help matters.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
8/31/24 2:59 p.m.

Wow. I'm speechless.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/31/24 3:13 p.m.

Like people who believe that 60s / 70s pony / muscle cars are still fast cars.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
8/31/24 3:13 p.m.

Watching old Top Gear, apparently my "don't call it a neon" neon can lay waste to turn of the century Porsches. But for some reason, those porches are still priced way higher. 

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I kinda have a story that's vaguely like that:

It's 2005. The ex-SWMBO are still just dating. I'm driving a 1999 Mustang Cobra with a few minor bolt ones, including 4:30 gears. I go to pick her up for lunch one day and her NCOIC, a MSgt, tells me that he could beat my car in his truck. He drives a Nissan Titan crew cab with the 5.6L; completely stock. I kinda chuckle and explain that his truck is a lot heavier and that I have a gearing advantage. Upon hearing the gear ratio I'm running, he exclaims "I bet you can't go over 90!". Me, being a SrA at the time, thought it would be best if I just stopped talking and changed the subject. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/31/24 3:48 p.m.

I remember seeing one of the car shows where they raced a minivan against a Ferrari 308............We all know which one is faster.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
8/31/24 4:09 p.m.

Noncar people used to comment about how my 3000lbs/212whp BWM was fast. Like, dude, a 2015 Camry is just as fast. Then again, speed != performance.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/31/24 4:38 p.m.

I drive an FR-S. I've long since accepted that it feels fast because of the way I drive it. If a mom in a Honda minivan decides to push it, I'm toast.  Which is why I don't "race" on the street.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/31/24 5:08 p.m.
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/31/24 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My buddy is still giving me a hard time about buying the 90 Mustang rather than something more modern and faster.

While I love 70s and 80s cars I know they are slow.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
8/31/24 5:28 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Sigh these are the perils of having family members who aren't car people. 

I think the middle ground in between "I know nothing about cars" and "I am a car person" is the worst.

Those are always the people I fear getting stuck in a conversation with, and also people that I will avoid car topics with entirely.  

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
8/31/24 5:39 p.m.
prodarwin said:

Those are always the people I fear getting stuck in a conversation with, and also people that I will avoid car topics with entirely.  

One Hundred Percent this. Don't get me wrong, I can be a pedantic shiny happy person, but I don't want to be to somebody I might actually like.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/31/24 6:19 p.m.

This is my very favorite.

https://youtu.be/0NBOjGyGmz4?feature=shared

People, 40 years later, still lose their nut over it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/31/24 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I just looked up the Spec Miata lap record at Summit Point. 1:24.886 according to the WDSR SCCA page. That's about 13.5 seconds faster than the Z28. So much for V8 muscle :)

Interestingly, it dates to 2018 so apparently SM speeds have peaked there. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/31/24 6:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Interestingly, it dates to 2018 so apparently SM speeds have peaked there. 

Perhaps that was before they cracked down on people cheating with cylinder head machining? :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/31/24 7:01 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

The thought had occurred to me, but I looked it up and that was 2014 :) I think the new Penskes might be a scootch slower than the (illegally) revalved Bilsteins on a single lap, but they're a lot more consistent.

Still, the point stands. A little four cylinder import that's 20-25 years old with a (ahem) stock engine and some good tires and shocks would run away and hide from those V8s in the test.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
8/31/24 7:07 p.m.

Old cars are heavy.  Cutting coil springs will raise your car.  Removing mufflers will make your car faster.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/31/24 7:09 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

This is my very favorite.

https://youtu.be/0NBOjGyGmz4?feature=shared

People, 40 years later, still lose their nut over it.

My Datsun 1200 turns the same lap times as the Porsche 356 that used to be in my run group. The 356 costs 9 times as much.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
8/31/24 7:38 p.m.

I can not for the life of me remember where I saw it, but there was a great clip where a guys at gas station filling up a 60s Mustang, another dude walks over and was like "oh man, my brother had one of those when we were in high-school, but his was a green 4 door, and a dodge, fastest thing on the road".

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/31/24 8:31 p.m.
rustomatic said:

Old cars are heavy.  Cutting coil springs will raise your car.  Removing mufflers will make your car faster.

Don't forget old cars are better in a crash to cuz they don't crumple like new cars do in a crash. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
8/31/24 8:55 p.m.

Back when I was in high school (late 60s) a fast car could cut a 14 second quarter, most couldn't come close to that. I did a 14.72 in my 2017 Challenge entry, an NB with a supercharger. Some folks my age just can't accept that.....at a cars and coffee a few months ago, I was looking at a Ford Falcon and commented that I'd like to see one K-swapped. It went over just about as well as I expected.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/31/24 10:04 p.m.

I'm not sure which I enjoy more.. proving that my V6 pickup is faster than their V8 pickup (even loaded down with tools), or watching them cry in the rear view mirror of my Miata!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/31/24 11:18 p.m.

I used to drag race a truck. Trust me a Camry will smoke this thing once you have to turn more then 10 degrees. Nobody would believe me when I said that. MMMM V8 POWWRRR

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wrBzQc51p3cOcC9ugmD0wol72X2YkELjWSIH2bPq52r9lTyLS5lys451qhSIlqVI