1 2 3
1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 8:54 a.m.
BlueFalcon wrote: Thanks everyone for the comments so far. There seems to be some compelling reasons to look into a NC. SWMBO is not going to be pleased...

Until you drive one on a warm summer night. My version of SWMBO sometimes does not sleep well. A 3 AM run down some rural roads with the top down makes midnight insomnia enjoyable.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 8:55 a.m.
unk577 wrote: 66 where are you located?

Columbus Ohio. I would gladly buy someone dinner (steak maybe even) just to talk cars. Really torn about what do to about my next car.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/3/14 9:01 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I still think the NB is one of the nicest looking cars ever made and I much prefer them to an NA, sort in the same way I like the 'square-tail' Spitfires and GT6 over the earlier 'round-tail' cars. If I were looking at a NC, I'd probably get a power roof version. Looking at the specs, there doesn't seem to be much of a weight penalty over the soft top.

IIRC it's on the order of 70-80lbs. I bet Keith knows for sure.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/3/14 9:01 a.m.
1966stang wrote: I have thought about buyign a cheap rust free VVT NB from the Southwest, keeping it for a summer car, putting the aftrmarket goodies on it, and keeping this car for a beater.

This is what I would do. No point putting money into the other car.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
4/3/14 9:03 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

That's about what I remember looking at the Mazda website specs. Acceptable to me on a 2600 lb car. Especially for those living in the northeast/snow-belt.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
4/3/14 9:04 a.m.
1966stang wrote:
unk577 wrote: 66 where are you located?
Columbus Ohio. I would gladly buy someone dinner (steak maybe even) just to talk cars. Really torn about what do to about my next car.

Some of us are meeting next Friday:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/lost-my-job-feeling-e36-m3ty-and-worthless/81685/page5/#post1484060

We like to talk cars.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/14 9:06 a.m.

OP, for what it's worth... there's a very good chance i'll be looking to unload a 2000 miata with 125k miles that sounds like it's in better shape than yours, and has some nice modifications of its own. (Nothing crazy.)

I'd deliver.

Want me to keep you posted?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/3/14 9:07 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I still think the NB is one of the nicest looking cars ever made and I much prefer them to an NA, sort in the same way I like the 'square-tail' Spitfires and GT6 over the earlier 'round-tail' cars. If I were looking at a NC, I'd probably get a power roof version. Looking at the specs, there doesn't seem to be much of a weight penalty over the soft top.

I still think the NA is one of the best looking cars ever, and the NB is a travisty of boredom in comparison. The NC has continued to improve in looks, but even the original NC's are light years beyond the generic soap bar styling of the NB.

Isn't there someone on here who got a new NC Club edition and started a build page on it, but I can't find it with the search or Googlymoogly right now.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
4/3/14 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

How many Miatas do you have anyway?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/14 9:09 a.m.
EvanB wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: How many Miatas do you have anyway?

Probably three. It's complicated.

I really only want one.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 9:12 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
1966stang wrote: I have thought about buyign a cheap rust free VVT NB from the Southwest, keeping it for a summer car, putting the aftrmarket goodies on it, and keeping this car for a beater.
This is what I would do. No point putting money into the other car.

Exactly. Replacing the quarter panel is $1400...and is only minorly dented/rusted. Avoid buying a newer car to repalce this, keep it as a daily,a dn then sue it as a donor car for something more interesting.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 9:13 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
EvanB wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: How many Miatas do you have anyway?
Probably three. It's complicated. I really only want one.

I can understand the sentiment.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 9:14 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
I still think the NA is one of the best looking cars ever, and the NB is a travisty of boredom in comparison. The NC has continued to improve in looks, but even the original NC's are light years beyond the generic soap bar styling of the NB. Isn't there someone on here who got a new NC Club edition and started a build page on it, but I can't find it with the search or Googlymoogly right now.

Actually I like teh NB the best of the three.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
4/3/14 9:14 a.m.

I don't understand. I only have one and I really want three.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
4/3/14 9:41 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I still think the NA is one of the best looking cars ever, and the NB is a travisty of boredom in comparison. The NC has continued to improve in looks, but even the original NC's are light years beyond the generic soap bar styling of the NB.

Now I see them exactly opposite: the NA looks bland and boring and the NB is just more... more. The NC has too many conflicting curves and character lines for my tastes.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 9:45 a.m.

...and I would agree with Ian F. Which is why I am not sure I want an NC in the garage.....and am not sure that I want to do without an NB.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
4/3/14 9:46 a.m.

I've never owned an NB, but have owned 4 NAs (including the two I have now) and one NC. I've used both the NA and NC as daily commuters. The NC is a much, much better commuter car than the NA. As others have said, the NC has more of a GT feel to it, where the NA is a raw go-kart. Coincidentally enough, I drove one of my NA's last night for the first time in 4 months (they were both hibernating for the winter). Having only driven my Leaf and our minivan for several months, I forgot just how raw the NA is...and how I missed it. The NC by comparison feels much more refined. I never pushed my NC really hard to where I'd have good reason to complain about the suspension. It's definitely not as stiff as the NA is.

Overall, I loved my NC. Good power, good fuel mileage, easy to live with, still an E36 M3 load of fun to drive. Only real complaint I had about the car was the seats. They suck...as in epic fail. For the first few weeks my lumbar was killing me every time I got out of the car. If you're used to an NA, this will be a very different experience, but a good one.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
4/3/14 9:49 a.m.

How has no one said that he should take is essentially free NB that is starting to rust and turn it into an Exocet. You get to keep all the good parts and scrap the bad parts. Shedding 30% weight in the process. You will probably get it done for less than the cost of the SW car plus shipping/travel and have something awesome when done. Then, if you don't already, grab a winter beater (old subbie, maybe) and drive that on bad weather days and the Exocet when it is decent outside. What are OH summers like? Here in MO, it can get a bit humid/warm for my plan in July/August.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 9:55 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

This is pretty much the plan in a few years methinks. It is not rusting that badly yet.....

But SWMBO would be MUCH happier with a better daily. Hence my thinking about an NC.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/3/14 9:57 a.m.

...and the NB is also much, much better than an NA. My NA let youf eel beat up after a two hour trip....I can round trip the Carolians comfortably in the NB. Methinks an NC might not be out of the questiona s a daily.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
4/3/14 10:11 a.m.

If you can stand the NC seats, you won't have any issues with it being a daily. I was very concerned about buying one as a DD, especially concerned that road noise would annoy me. Reality is the noise isn't all that bad...for a convertible. The interior is well laid out and intuitive. Suspension may be a bit wallowy for track use, but it's not bad at dealing with less than perfect roads. It's all personal taste, but I'd stay away from the PRHT and go with the manual top. It's insanely easy to operate. One latch and flip it back, can be done in 3 seconds flat.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/3/14 10:27 a.m.

Yep, I used my NC as a daily from April of last year to Feb of this year until I got the 4Runner.

I still think it feels plenty "go-karty" and my NA was on XIDAs and R888s. NC + less than sticky tires = very fun commute everyday.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/14 10:31 a.m.

This all maybe sounds like more fun than my current "I'm afraid to lay into 3rd gear because the car wants to kill me" Miata.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/3/14 11:30 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Awesome details Keith as we'd expect. What is your recipe (both mild power and handling) for a fun 99% DD with occasional autocross or track day (assuming PRHT or Harddog M3 or similar bar) Emphasis on fun and DD, not on competitiveness. thx

If track day is part of the equation, then PRHT is not. It's an unfortunate state of affairs. But there's no roll protection possible with that top unless you concoct a removable setup.

I guess it depends what we mean by "mild power". Honestly, a Targa Package is a really nice setup. I know that sounds like a full-on ad, but I'm also in the position where, if I don't think it's good enough, I can do something about it. Almost every part in the Targa Package is an FM exclusive, so that means each part is one that we worked on until we said "yup, that's what we wanted".

It's not cheap, though. Of course, that's how power goes. You can spend a grand to get just a little bit, or you can spend five grand and get a significant amount. It's worth noting that the Super20 show car from Mazda is essentially a Targa Package car.

But if you want to drop the cost a bit and you have a pre-2012 car, get the FM Stage 2 suspension, a fun sounding exhaust and slippery tires. That would probably be pretty entertaining. Very comfy to drive (I've done back to back 1000 mile solo days in them) and fun.

A 2013 Club Edition with a set of sway bars is also a pretty compelling argument. It's the first new Miata in some time that had me actually thinking that just maybe it would be a good addition to the garage.

Oh, and the best looking Miata is the original 1990 in blue. Second best, I'm gonna say MSM in black.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
4/4/14 6:57 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If track day is part of the equation, then PRHT is not. It's an unfortunate state of affairs. But there's no roll protection possible with that top unless you concoct a removable setup.

Would the PRHT negate the need for a roll bar? At least for casual track-day use? It seems that hard top would be quite a bit more solidly attached to the chassis than a typical convertible hardtop. It's not like a roll-bar is required for a fix-roof car. This question really applies to all of the current crop of folding hard top cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zk1te4wSatjYIKrDORYyC4ZJz5OwfAaA56B2cd0p7UcYoAyFUYJaOnqAdz8A360k