jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/7/24 10:01 a.m.

I've found a 40K mile 2010 NC on Long Island - Hicksville/Levittown - that I'd like to buy but would like to have somebody on site verify that the car is real and is as described on autotrader.  Anyone near there with some time?  Would be happy to compensate with whatever you think is appropriate.  If this works out it will be a fly and buy unless the road salt is insanely bad at which point I guess I'll have to ship it.  I'm really hoping to get a car that isn't salt rusted into one piece. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/7/24 10:15 a.m.

In my opinion, you will have excessive amounts of road salt on this route at this time of year.  Probably salty until mid March.  

Second problem...shippers tend to avoid trips into NYC.  Toll bridges and traffic congestion tends to add a significant "inconvenience tax" onto loads that send them into metro NYC.  You can get it shipped just don't expect to get a bargain rate.  Quite the opposite.  I'm guessing $2 per mile for enclosed trailer or nearly $2k.  Maybe more.    

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/7/24 10:20 a.m.

One drive through road salt won't destroy a car. Winter weather will be a bigger potential problem. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/7/24 10:24 a.m.

If it's living in NYC, then it is almost guaranteed that it has seen salt. 

Wash it when you get there. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
1/7/24 11:06 a.m.

Assuming it's the blue one, the seller bought it because it hadn't seen salt since they wanted a track car.   Not mentioned in the Autotrader ad is a PCI seat rail and a hard dog bar that was never installed, and a set of gloc brakes with one track night on them.

CarRamRod
CarRamRod New Reader
1/7/24 11:29 a.m.

This is my car and I'm pretty sure we've been messaging on Autotrader. Happy to meet up with another GRMer nearby. Also as far as salt, they haven't put any down on the roads since I bought it earlier this year. Forgot where the car spent the first part of its life but I remember it being a salt free place. 

As far as shipping, I just had a car shipped from Montana to me a month ago which was ~$2,600 in an enclosed trailer. That's a ~2,200 mile trip so about $1.20/mile. It was through Montway on uship (who then subbed it out to a smaller shipper) but they didn't care about bridges/tolls/parkway avoidance. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/7/24 11:56 a.m.

I had a car shipped from Syosset, NY (on Long Island) almost 2 years ago. It took  10 days or so before a driver signed in to haul it. About 1100 miles for $1000 or $1200 open car hauler. As mentioned above they are not keen on going to Long Island.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/7/24 12:20 p.m.

FWIW, I live in North NJ and today was probably the first day they put down salt and it hasn't snowed enough here in awhile to warrant doing so.

1/7/24 4:39 p.m.

@CarRamRod, was wondering what the chances were you were a GRM'er.  Small world online.  Sent you a PM.  Definitely interested.  If the seat rail is available I'd be interested in that too.

I had a '07 stormy mica blue MS-R that I miss, and this NC just might displace the '94R in the garage. 

There's a couple of supposedly major storms coming through the middle of the country so that might kill the fly and buy idea.  Looking at options.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/7/24 5:08 p.m.

Totally a small world. (And hello, Long Island.)

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/7/24 9:23 p.m.

The best way to get a car off of Long Island is to put it on the boat and send it to Connecticut. 

1/8/24 10:44 a.m.

Talked with the owner and have enough confidence in him and the car so I put down a deposit.  Tickets on Spirit to LGA are less than a hundred bucks so a fly & buy is in the cards if I can dodge the storms.  I'm looking at shipping options and weather reports today.

That NC Miata junk that's been in the garage since 2012?  Might have a use for some of it soon...

1/9/24 3:24 p.m.

Doesn't look like dodging the weather will be possible in the near term, and we're headed to DC on the 18th anyway.  I'll try to grab a train DC to NY and pick it up.  As a contingency, uship has pricing of about $1,000 from Tempus Logix and Montway LLC, both with pickup in a few days.  Is a quote from uship good enough or do I need to vet the shippers?

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/9/24 4:36 p.m.

If you go to Hicksville and you love Indian food, there's a ton of great Indian restaurants. I could go for a dosa now. Okay, continue on. Squirrel!

1/16/24 11:57 p.m.

I do love Indian food.  But...   I'm trying to get the car shipped.  Forked over about $1100 to uShip (NY to Wisconsin) and I'm waiting for confirmation from a shipper - Tempus Logix, which is apparently who they subbed it out ot.

1/22/24 11:25 p.m.

It's here and in one piece.  Waiting for rain at the end of the week to wash some of the road salt away before driving it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/22/24 11:32 p.m.

Looks awesome and congratulations. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/22/24 11:48 p.m.

Removable hardtop! That's a rare beast. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cnXg2MQiTluP9qVN9ZNRc4CON48BXod5fB5hETXMOfMdqpHgmeQMfvrQfkrBN1P1