1 2
edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
1/7/16 8:30 a.m.

I know a stock 03+ crown vic is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 lbs, but my usual day dreaming has lead me to evil thoughs and was curious what would this weigh:

I figured this would be the place that someone for some reason would know a crown vics frame and drivetrain weight minus the entire body and interior, or could atleast make an educated guess.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/7/16 8:35 a.m.

I'd hazard at least 1300# as a guess.

4.6 2v is 600-ish.
4r70 is 150#.
8.8 is 125#.
Figure 200# for the frame.
The rest is easily 2-300#.

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
1/7/16 8:52 a.m.

I do not know... But there is a strong chance I will this year. They just wrecked one at work that I hope I can get my hands on... I think it would be a great way into a locost... Some spring tuning and 100' of Dom, some rudimentary sheet metal and bam. 2100lb cheap street rocket, with cheap consumables.

Thanks Ross

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
1/7/16 9:07 a.m.
Ross413 wrote: I do not know... But there is a strong chance I will this year. They just wrecked one at work that I hope I can get my hands on... I think it would be a great way into a locost... Some spring tuning and 100' of Dom, some rudimentary sheet metal and bam. 2100lb cheap street rocket, with cheap consumables. Thanks Ross

we must be related

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/7/16 9:08 a.m.

Remember the A arms and front crossmember are all aluminum.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/7/16 9:11 a.m.

And here i was going to reply "that depends on how much each of the hookers weigh and how many you have in the trunk"

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/7/16 9:58 a.m.

Why am I seeing Speedsters everywhere I look these days? Just need some tall wheel/tires ....

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
1/7/16 10:14 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Remember the A arms and front crossmember are all aluminum.

I live in PA, all specialty construction vehicles must have fenders so the aesthetic of the front end is of little importance. I have just been thinking that it is an easy instant roller for a locost.

Really though sectioning out a few inches of the frame would make it work around the cones a bit better I think.

CHEAP being the main idea.

My dd Vic with a 5 speed and Addco sways front and back is a hoot to drive, I can't imagine it with a 2000lb diet...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/7/16 12:36 p.m.

I'd guess 1200-1400, keeping it under 2000 would be easy. I think a mini truck cab is only about 500, for the easy route.

Those straight frame rails really scream "shorten me".

rslifkin
rslifkin New Reader
1/7/16 12:40 p.m.

If anything, I'd shorten the frame forward and aft of the axles and keep the long middle section. That gives room to pull the motor back for better weight distribution and keeps most of the weight between the axles.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/7/16 12:47 p.m.

Seats placed over the mufflers. Move the motor back a bit and you could make a 1.5 scale Lotus 7

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
1/7/16 1:09 p.m.

IIRC the vette hack on roadkill was like 2200# after the full cage was installed. I would guess you end up in the same ballpark.

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
1/7/16 2:52 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: If anything, I'd shorten the frame forward and aft of the axles and keep the long middle section. That gives room to pull the motor back for better weight distribution and keeps most of the weight between the axles.

The body/frame would end at the front and back of the tires+ whatever bumper your state requires. The section in the middle could be shortened for maneuverability. The stock fuel tank could easily be retained and the cooling system could be simplified easily with the correct size eBay aluminum radiator.

Thanks Ross

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
1/7/16 2:59 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Seats placed of the mufflers. Move the motor back a bit and you could make a 1.5 scale Lotus 7

Hell, even if you shortened is a bit with 4 Kirkey seats you could do a 1.5 scale 4 seat 7...

The big 7 thing would be fun. The shifter would be the only slight issue, solved by an extension.

Thanks Ross

jere
jere HalfDork
1/7/16 3:48 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Remember the A arms and front crossmember are all aluminum.

Cop versions have aluminum drive shafts too i believe

chada75
chada75 Reader
1/7/16 4:51 p.m.

Other than E-Mod, What other class would a Locost like P71 framed car would fall under?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
1/7/16 5:21 p.m.
chada75 wrote: Other than E-Mod, What other class would a Locost like P71 framed car would fall under?

Who knows? But if you can't autocross it, LeMons will probably allow you to run it without too many penalty laps.

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
1/7/16 5:25 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
chada75 wrote: Other than E-Mod, What other class would a Locost like P71 framed car would fall under?
Who knows? But if you can't autocross it, LeMons will probably allow you to run it without too many penalty laps.

Do you think...? I have often wondered about that because it would not resemble a real vehicle. Not too sure though.

Throw a boat on it and call it good...

Thanks Ross

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/7/16 5:34 p.m.

You will need to add a couple of hundred pounds to make that thing even remotely stiff. An awful lot of the twisting on those cars is taken care of by the body.

noddaz
noddaz Dork
1/7/16 5:48 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Seats placed over the mufflers. Move the motor back a bit and you could make a 1.5 scale Lotus 7

Someone needs to Photoshop this...

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
1/8/16 2:14 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: You will need to add a couple of hundred pounds to make that thing even remotely stiff. An awful lot of the twisting on those cars is taken care of by the body.

Yes, a few hundred pounds of cage work would be added that would help rigid it up. something basic like a dune buggy frame design-ish

Dave
Dave Reader
1/8/16 3:40 p.m.

To do a Locost or Speedster one would have to at least move the engine back a foot or so to make it look more right.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
1/8/16 3:59 p.m.

I was thinking more of a street buggy thing, with just 2 seats being above the mufflers, here is a terrible rendering of the basics of what im thinking:

photo crown vic buggy.png

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/8/16 5:27 p.m.

Do you have the body? I have parts needs.

STM317
STM317 Reader
1/9/16 5:08 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote: I was thinking more of a street buggy thing, with just 2 seats being above the mufflers, here is a terrible rendering of the basics of what im thinking:  photo crown vic buggy.png

Why in the world would this hardcore, lightweight, no berks street buggy still have mufflers?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fuV1mjnCMBDWGgkAzR0V2hI3VZoITUJDUoWvIUsiixCi4w24OUzvs2LCfooyFFNw