speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
6/23/13 7:05 a.m.

As the title says enlighten me on the Subaru xt6.Anyway to get rid of the air ride suspension? any performance upgrades? good car /bad car? The use would be chump car or rallycross.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/23/13 7:14 a.m.

Not much help here, but that's another one of those cars that I absolutely hated when they were new, but I think it would be fun to own one now.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
6/23/13 7:58 a.m.

I have worked on a few and am in the process of acquring an XT turbo (look in the build threads).

Yes you can get rid of the air suspension, converting the front to modern Impreza/Legacy stuff is super simple. The rear is a little more complicated to retrofit but it can be done relatively cheaply and easily. If the whole air system still works, good components are worth a fortune.

There is virtually nothing for the ER27 six performance-wise but they are stout motors that sound great and will run forever if you keep a decent timing belt on it. Nice flat torque curve. The transmissions are very sought after because they are the strongest manual transmission Subaru made until the STi 6-speed.

Keep in mind an EJ22 makes more power, weighs less, and lets you keep the weight further back,

They are overall good cars with a funky cool interior (if you strip it, part it out on subaruxt.com because a lot of stuff is worth big $$$)

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/23/13 9:07 a.m.

the XT is one of the few subarus I would love to own.. Swapping everything over the STi would be icing on the cake.

Ojala
Ojala HalfDork
6/23/13 9:40 a.m.

If I remember correctly, GC FWD front struts fit the back of the XT6.

If you want to do a complete engine and drivetrain swap then save the XT rear suspension. It is critical to swapping other drivetrains into older Subaru GLs and DLs and worth a bit of premium to the right group of Subie nerds.

ER27 and the transmission are great-if you leave them alone. The XT community can be complete cheap-skates so I wouldnt exactly count on making your money back on the entire car just by selling trim and suspension pieces. But if you swap the struts to GC parts, gut the interior, and leave the engine and transmission alone (assuming all is in good shape) then you would have a great lemons/chump/rallyx car.

The XT turbo had a great interior, but the XT6 isnt as cool/funky. There was a guy around here that had an XT6 with an x pipe exhaust with dual flowmasters exiting before the back wheels that sounded way better than any dorky 80's wedge has a right to.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
6/23/13 11:58 a.m.

It runs great but the susp. is shot on it.I already found out my old set of Fiero web wheels fit and look awsome on it.First is make a rally X out of it and continue to convert it to a Chump car.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
6/23/13 9:44 p.m.

Anyone know how the diff lock works in these cars and is all xt6 have LSD?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
6/23/13 10:00 p.m.

Diff lock is vacuum actuated. Subaruxt.com and ultimatesubaru.org have TONS of info on these cars if you look for it. Anything I say is pretty much gleaned from there. They have turboed the engine, innovated all the suspension swap stuff, etc....I recommend visiting.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
6/24/13 6:53 a.m.

Cool thanks

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
6/24/13 8:29 a.m.

BTW the diff lock is for the center diff, not the rear, which might be the source of your confusion. LSD was supposedly available on the XT6 but nobody has ever seen one in the wild.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
6/24/13 10:55 a.m.

What is the diff ratio on the xt6?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fx1BrO0XeR1I1LXJCJGRpWpmkE5KWjfJISTtDNxJ84kdkrCFo8DKM5SgvnCe9RjB