1 2
banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota New Reader
2/4/13 3:46 p.m.

Fiat Abarth or Kia Soul?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
2/4/13 3:58 p.m.

If this isn't a troll I will go ahead and give my viewpoint.

The GF has a Soul. I don't really like it much. Not a lot of usable space inside considering it is a box on wheels. Rough riding without sporty handling and a thrashy loud exhaust note that just isn't pleasant. Blind spots big enough to swallow 18 wheelers and it only manages 27 miles per gallon on the freeway.

Oh yeah. It is also impossible to clean with drive through car washes. You have to wash it by hand. The car wash down the street that makes my GTI look pristine makes the Soul look like garbage. There are all sorts of nooks and crannys like that raised panel door looking rear hatch that the spinning bits just glide over and leave filthy. I realize that this point is all but stupid and washing at home is cheaper and better but where she lived in Portland had no driveway. It looked like crap most of the time.

My boss has a non Abarth 500 and I have put a few hundred miles on it. I wanted to love it but am kind of lukewarm about the high seating position. Other than that it is a fun little underpowered car. An Abarth or 500 turbo would address the latter issue.

I vote Abarth

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/4/13 3:59 p.m.

Abarth, because rear disc brakes.

EDIT: I guess they both do. well I still vote abarth.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
2/4/13 5:39 p.m.

I would almost go Fiat Turbo over Abarth if it a cash issue.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
2/4/13 5:41 p.m.

Why not the Kia Rio hatch? I haven't driven one but they review well, curious if you looked into them or not.

kurk9
kurk9 New Reader
2/4/13 8:04 p.m.

2013 Kia Pro Cee'd

It looks sexy.

parker
parker Reader
2/4/13 8:12 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: The GF has a Soul. I don't really like it much.

I hope she doesn't frequent this forum!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/4/13 8:25 p.m.

Oddly, I was looking at both these vehicles a few months ago. I went with the Soul. Let me explain. I love the Abarth but it's TOO nice for me as a DD and I needed more room. I already have a Miata, RX7 and getting a P car so I have plenty of choices for sportiness. I went with the Soul + which gave me the 2.0 litre with a 6 speed. I swapped out the OEM tires for some Conti Extremes and in the process of doing a few more tweaks and you know what?.............It is not bad. R&T lists that combination with a 0-60 time of 7 seconds. It will spin the tires at will and it has rear disc brakes. It's no Miata but it's no slouch either. The shifter is a little sloppy but overall I really like it for a DD and I can get in the low 40s MPG on the highway by taking an easy. So that's my story. Abarth is cool but so is the Soul. And it was nearly 10K cheaper. .

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
2/4/13 8:55 p.m.

Apples to Oranges IMHO. My wife has a Soul+ with a 5-speed and it is a great little car for commuting, hauling groceries, shuttling the kids, etc. She loves the looks, the driving position, and the features she got for the price. She has zero sporting intentions, and the Soul suits her just fine.

I have not driven the Fiat but have sat in a few. For me, it was cool and trendy, but I would spend my money on a GTI with a hatch. Better to drive and more practical. Besides, me buying a Fiat would be like trading in my Duluth Trading pants for skinny jeans.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
2/4/13 9:15 p.m.

apples and oranges indeed

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota New Reader
2/5/13 6:22 p.m.

I have different tastes than most. Wife has a Soul, and I like it. I also like the Abarth, tired of commuting in the 99 Cummins pu. The RX2 play car is not commute friendly

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
2/5/13 10:36 p.m.
I love the Abarth but it's TOO nice for me

That may be the only time anyone has ever accused the new fiat 500 of being too nice..

R&T lists that combination with a 0-60 time of 7 seconds.

I was sort of shocked to read this sentence. But seeing the new power rating, i guess 165hp and short gearing could do it. Still, color me surprised.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
2/5/13 11:23 p.m.

Abarth. Possibly the best new hoon vehicle on the market FWD wise- outside of a Cooper S. And I LOVE me some Cooper S.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
2/5/13 11:37 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Abarth. Possibly the best new hoon vehicle on the market FWD wise- outside of a Cooper S. And I LOVE me some Cooper S.

I liked my test drive of the Abarth, but for that kind of money I would be looking at other cars.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
2/5/13 11:40 p.m.

Agreed, I'd likely buy another MS3..... if it were my cash. But- I do like the Abarth a ton and DAMN it sounds cool.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
2/6/13 1:29 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Agreed, I'd likely buy another MS3..... if it were my cash. But- I do like the Abarth a ton and DAMN it sounds cool.

Amen! I shall soon become one of the MS3 brethren. 2013 in white

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
2/6/13 9:08 a.m.

The Cee'd looks awesome and is supposed to have a turbo motor in 2013 and isn't sold outside the EU.

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota New Reader
2/6/13 4:44 p.m.

I wish Kia would have released the 2 door soul

kurk9
kurk9 New Reader
2/6/13 5:20 p.m.
pres589 wrote: The Cee'd looks awesome and is supposed to have a turbo motor in 2013 and isn't sold outside the EU.

I thought I read somewhere they were planning on bringing it to the US, cant find the site now. At Least Ford brought over the Focus ST from Europe

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota New Reader
2/8/13 6:26 p.m.

Decision made

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
2/8/13 8:36 p.m.

Congrats! Post impressions at some point.

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota New Reader
2/12/13 7:00 p.m.

900 mile update

OMG! I had forgotten what fun was, I now remember. Car is a joy to accelerate and listen to the straight piped exhaust' burbling away. Handling is superb! Ride comfort is good. Road noise is fair with the 17" Pirelli's. Fuel economy is 30mpg for my commute. Bluetooth integration is great with the tom-tom.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/12/13 7:12 p.m.

Will the bluetooth accept audio over bluetooth? Like... Pandora from a phone? Can't seem to get it to work with my rental.

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota New Reader
2/12/13 7:19 p.m.

Apples vs oranges.......

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/12/13 7:24 p.m.
parker wrote:
ditchdigger wrote: The GF has a Soul. I don't really like it much.
I hope she doesn't frequent this forum!

Lol. He didn't say she had NO soul!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0FhF24A7AdmXL0t3qHk1WuxYTPnr7a9MXYyyanlvLFLNHrO9ffWKfZKrqKarO8Yu