bastomatic
bastomatic New Reader
5/21/08 12:15 p.m.

Anybody have a date the new Fit will be dropping? our Volvo is dying and We're thinking about getting the Fit to replace it. Maybe get a better deal since the new ones will be out...

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
5/21/08 12:43 p.m.

From the looks of this: it should be for '09.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 None
5/21/08 12:55 p.m.

I really don't like the looks of the new ones. Kind of looks like a Yaris/Oddysey. Hopefully when the new ones hti the show room, I can pick up an 08 for a lil cheaper.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/21/08 12:57 p.m.

they just announced that the new one will have a hybrid option

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
5/21/08 1:21 p.m.

Ugh. Less hybrids, more turbodiesels.

bastomatic
bastomatic New Reader
5/21/08 1:25 p.m.

I dunno, Diesel is pretty durn 'spensive around these parts.

I'd just be happy to have the 1.3 as an option, to be honest. I think the new Fit will drop around September-time.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/21/08 1:30 p.m.

Diesel is more $/gallon, but as long as the engine isn't thousands more to purchase, it still pays off because of the increased mpg. I don't know how quickly it would pay off in a small car that already gets decent mpg, but in larger cars it can pay off pretty quickly.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/21/08 1:46 p.m.

Gas by my place is $3.80 right now, diesel is $4.60. Assuming the Diesel fit gets 45 mpg, and the petrol version gets 35 on average, that would be about $1225 a year for diesel fuel, $1300 for regular unleaded. That's assuming 12k miles a year.

I think long-distance drivers might be better suited to diesels. I wouldn't mind trying it out.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/21/08 1:58 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: Ugh. Less hybrids, more turbodiesels.

Hey thats my line.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/21/08 1:58 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: Gas by my place is $3.80 right now, diesel is $4.60. Assuming the Diesel fit gets 45 mpg, and the petrol version gets 35 on average, that would be about $1225 a year for diesel fuel, $1300 for regular unleaded. That's assuming 12k miles a year. I think long-distance drivers might be better suited to diesels. I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Diesel accord does 35mpg around town.. 53mpg on the highway. A diesel fit SHOULD do near 60mpg..

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/21/08 2:04 p.m.

Yeah and the gas version should do 45. And the Smart Fortwo should do 70.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/21/08 5:08 p.m.
ignorant wrote: they just announced that the new one will have a hybrid option

YES!!!!!

I'd be more game for a turbodiesel, but a hybrid hatch will be an easy sell to the wife. I hope it's sub-$20k.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/21/08 5:25 p.m.
gamby wrote:
ignorant wrote: they just announced that the new one will have a hybrid option
YES!!!!! I'd be more game for a turbodiesel, but a hybrid hatch will be an easy sell to the wife. I hope it's sub-$20k.

I think it's a win win situation. As far as we know Honda dosen't have a diesel small enough for the Fit. Hopefully they do soon.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
5/21/08 5:42 p.m.

Why not hybrid turbodiesels? Seems like the logical answer to me...

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/21/08 5:45 p.m.

I bet a hybrid biodiesel would actually reverse global warming, if only ever so slightly.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/21/08 5:46 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:

I wish..

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
5/21/08 7:23 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:

Diesels=Big torque low rpm Internal Compression Engine.
Electrics=Big torque wide rpm range motors limited in hp and range by batteries. Because of the limited battery capacity they end up also being a low rpm torque monster. You end up with 2 torque monsters added together to get one super torqy low rpm beast. I know their are diesel hybrids out there, so im curious to see how they make them work well together.

The gasoline electric hybrid works because you can put a puny gas engine that will hold highway speeds well and use the limited battery range and large electric torque to help get you up to speed. You end up with the performance of a much larger engine and the efficiency of the small one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J1TRtafVW3NjsNdcqHQpeW611K7cbr4LDvS5ZJmfSlXh7SaKB9f4O3T7etJNWJ3s