jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/5/12 9:47 a.m.

My M-I-L is car shopping. She thought she wanted a Ford Edge as a downsize from her '06 Chrysler Town & Country. While at Ford, we drove the New Escape and she likes the size of it better. This was a surprise to me and I am short of research on this new model.

Does anyone have any insight or opinion on weather to go with the 1.6L turbo or the 2.0L turbo?
Personally, I am leaning toward the 2.0L since it has been in production a little longer.

Does anyone have access to Ford friends and family pricing?
Being a new model, discounts are not in play yet. When you start adding options to the Escape like SEL package the price gets up toward $33k quickly (and that is just fwd, more for awd.)

Thanks,
jwelsh02@yahoo.com

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
7/5/12 9:49 a.m.

Why do I think (hope) AlfaDriver will chime in? I'm eager to hear any educated opinions on the 1.6 vs. 2.0 issue as well.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/5/12 9:52 a.m.

It looks like a jacked focus. I like it.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/5/12 11:19 a.m.

No personal experience but J-nik's first impressions were good.

http://jalopnik.com/5902768/2013-ford-escape-first-drive

Not really related but these guys liked the CX-5

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2012-mazda-cx-5/

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/5/12 11:25 a.m.

CX-5 is on the list as well. Here, the downside of the CX-5 is that the dealership is a half hour away. This posses no issue to me, owner of Mazda5, but my M-I-L sees this as "too far" for service issues.

Is MazdaSpeed still offering friends and family pricing to registered racers?
Does anyone here have access?

Thanks,
jwelsh02@yahoo.com

NGTD
NGTD Dork
7/5/12 1:47 p.m.

What I have read is stay away from the 2.5 NA. Only comes in the FWD versions anyway.

Seems to me that the 1.6 Eco is plenty of motor for that rig. The 2.0 Eco is needed to get the 3500lb tow rating though.

I think the Escape is MUCH better looking than the CX-5 (smiley face looks even dopier on a mini-ute).

MattW
MattW New Reader
7/5/12 2:15 p.m.

Does that thing not look like a Subaru Tribeca from the back?

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/6/12 3:31 p.m.

When I get back to a real computer, I'll try to write more, but both are new

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/6/12 4:03 p.m.

The CX-5 is out for her.
My M-I-L had had a hip replaced so paramount here is ease of entry. She found the CX-5 to have too much side bolstering on the seat. That may be a good thing for you and I but not good for her.
They did have a couple of CX-7's left on the lot. She like them better for entry but what they had left were mostly low models and heated leather is on the list of requirements. Again, the leather has to do with easier sliding for entry.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/6/12 8:52 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: When I get back to a real computer, I'll try to write more, but both are new

Ok, back home with a real keyboard- and not on an ithingie.

Both engines are turbo, DI, and 4 cyl, but beyond that, they are not the same at all- the 1.6 injects the fuel from the top of the cylinder, the 2.0 from the side- the engine families are totally different. I know that both engines are beaten to death, so no real concerns about how good they are- it's more a question of how it will be used.

The 2.0l is more like the v6, so if you want or need the power, this is the way to go. Whereas the 1.6 is more like the original 2.3, so it should get good mileage, but not all that much in terms really high performance.

Ironically, now that July has arrived- I now have projects for both powertrains. Neither in an Escape.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/6/12 9:07 p.m.

I dig that little trucklet. I kinda want one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZqBhYAmEbYPwu61W8PdcsvRISoUQSvdSmBqxSwA1UBUpwGjGXU7M2YiFDyjNTc6k