1 2 3
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/20/10 6:47 a.m.

from "Big Al's List"

Ohio Law that can Confiscate Your Car

On another note, THEY are trying to pass a law in Ohio that can confiscate your car, fine you and take your license away for up to a year just because some police officer thought you accelerated to fast! Read up on this law by clicking here. This law has already passed the first round of votes by a 90 to 7 vote on December 1, 2009! HELP! Then Please write to you State Senator. Click here for a Senate website to find your State Senator. Please write to them, it’s OUR FIGHT!!

pettition site

http://www.bigalslist.com/alpages/flyers/monica_durban_law.htm

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/20/10 6:59 a.m.
The bill requires a retailer who sells at retail nitrous oxide to require every person who purchases nitrous oxide in this state from the retailer to complete and sign a nitrous oxide purchase statement. The Department of Public Safety must make a purchase statement available at no charge on its internet web site and also must furnish the purchase statement to retail sellers of nitrous oxide upon request. The Director of Public Safety must determine the form and contents of the purchase statement, which must include at a minimum the name and address of the retailer, the name and address of the purchaser, the date of the retail sale, the amount of nitrous oxide sold to the purchaser, and any other information the Director determines should be included on the statement. The statement also must include the following language in 12-point boldface type: "I will not use nitrous oxide in any motor vehicle that I operate on any public road, street, or highway in the state of Ohio. I understand that street racing on the public roads, streets, and highways of Ohio is illegal and punishable by a fine, a jail term or prison term, suspension of a person's driver's or commercial driver's license, and criminal forfeiture of any vehicle involved in a street race." The purchase statement language must conclude with the following 14-point boldface type: "I understand that if I purchase nitrous oxide and use it in a motor vehicle that I operate on a public road, street, or highway in the state of Ohio, I may be subject to prosecution for the crime of falsification, a misdemeanor of the first degree, and may be subject to prosecution for other criminal offenses as well." The bill requires a retail seller to retain every nitrous oxide purchase statement for a period of not less than two years from the date of the retail sale that generated the purchase statement. The bill also prohibits a person who purchases nitrous oxide at retail in this state from using it in a motor vehicle that the person operates on a public road, street, or highway in this state. Whoever violates this prohibition is guilty of falsification, a misdemeanor of the first degree. (R.C. 4511.253.)

What the hell is this going to accomplish?

Also, the wording in this is pretty scary, and basically opens up the "I decided you were breaking the law so you obviously were" argument in court

The bill expands the definition of "street racing" to also include "any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street, or highway."
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/20/10 7:04 a.m.

Exactly, which is why I signed and posted in several forums.

Small Town Cops are renowned for their fair and unbiased enforcement of the law so this should be no problem....... (this is called sarcasm)

That said, when do they ad in a turbo or supercharger

RossD
RossD Dork
1/20/10 7:07 a.m.

In Soviet Ohio, police drive you.

That's berkeleyd up. Imagine the fun Summit will have keeping all these forms as they are based in Ohio.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
1/20/10 7:26 a.m.

Signed on behalf of myself and my wife; both in Ohio.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim HalfDork
1/20/10 7:47 a.m.
skruffy wrote:
The bill expands the definition of "street racing" to also include "any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street, or highway."

So not driving like granny Jones gets you a ticket. Nice.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/20/10 7:57 a.m.

so what of my car that has nitrous installed, is driven on the street with the bottle off, and the system is only armed at the track?

that wording could be interpolated as what i have now being illegal because said vehicle is used on public roads.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
1/20/10 8:01 a.m.

I am in Ohio, I don't use NO2. For a small fee I will take your bottle to the refiller and get it filled. That way you can say you don't understand that if someone else purchased nitrous oxide and you use it in a motor vehicle that you operate on a public road, street, or highway in the state of Ohio, you may be subject to prosecution for the crime of falsification, a misdemeanor of the first degree, and may be subject to prosecution for other criminal offenses as well.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
1/20/10 8:13 a.m.

At least you'll know...that in Ohio...if someone is driving aggressively they are either law enforcement, family affiliated with law enforcement, or a local politician.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
1/20/10 9:29 a.m.

We have a similiar law here in Ontario, with the blanket offence being "stunt driving" rather than racing, that way they can nail you if only one car is driving too quickly.

If you are speeding by more than 50km/h (30 mph) they take your car for seven days, suspend your license on the spot for seven days and fine you $2000 and you could be jailed for up to 6 months. You don't get a trial for the first two punishments, it's completely at the discretion of the police officer who stops you. Two judges have ruled the law is unconstitutional because you have no opportunity to defend yourself, but the law is still on the books because the Attorney General is appealing it.

Our law has similar wording about nitrous. If you have a car that is equipped with nitrous, you can drive it on the street as long as the bottle is not hooked up. The bottle can be in the car, but the hose to the bottle has to be disconnected.

Bob

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/20/10 9:40 a.m.

I've been thinking about that nitrous section all morning, and I still haven't figured out what it's supposed to do. If they catch someone using nitrous on the street are they going to go around to all the local establishments with nitrous filling stations and go through their paperwork? And even so, if you caught the guy in the act who cares where he filled up? Is there going to be some sort of punishment for the company that sold the nitrous? What's the point?

I've been planning to get a filling station for my shop. If it's going to turn into a giant paperwork nightmare I'll probably pass.

Are we going to have a similar law for propane injection on diesel trucks? It's pretty much the same thing...

kreb
kreb Dork
1/20/10 9:55 a.m.

WoW! Ohio has a long and illustrious motorhead history. I hate to see such misguided nonsense on their books.

I was once cited for exibition of speed mainly because I had a loud exhaust. Would that get my car taken away now? Sounds like it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/20/10 10:03 a.m.

So if I have nitrous on my 3-cylinder Geo, causing it to accelerate from 0-60 in 15 seconds in an area with a 70mph limit, I can be arrested and my car taken away? Wow, remind me to stay out of Ohio.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
1/20/10 10:13 a.m.
kreb wrote: WoW! Ohio has a long and illustrious motorhead history. I hate to see such misguided nonsense on their books. I was once cited for exibition of speed mainly because I had a loud exhaust. Would that get my car taken away now? Sounds like it.

sounds like it ZING!

Maybe Mid Ohio will get more business out of this - less tolerance on the road maybe equals more people on track?

I know this is aimed directly at the Honda super JDM driftoro civic ZOMGyo!!1! fanbois and their ridiculous vinyl and undercar neons worth more than the bone stock 1.6 and cone filter theyre rockin...but will they apply the standards to the asshats that ride completely uncorked choppers like turdballs between lanes on a busy freeway too? Mu Infiniti isnt all that fast, but this could seriously open doors to many more ridiculous laws of this type.

The good news is that Ohio must have a balanced budget, perfect schools, no drug use and incredibly low unemployment to have the time to worry about minutia like this crap...jeeeesus

Vigo
Vigo Reader
1/20/10 11:07 a.m.

somebody email me an ohio address so i can sign it.

Vigo327@gmail.com

The way i look at, the more ridiculous the punishment is for using nitrous ( or street racing), the more likely people are to use the nitrous to run from the cops.

I am honestly not entirely sure that i would NOT run if i thought i was going to be charged with street racing. Its basically equivalent to DWI here in Texas.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/10 7:34 a.m.

Sent Vigo, if anybody else wants one let me know

aussiesmg@yahoo.com

Steve

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/21/10 9:19 a.m.

I rather suspect that bill was crafted to make some people feel good, while knowing it will fail to pass.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/21/10 9:26 a.m.

Yeah, well fortunately I have a (good) turbocharger instead of (bad) nitrous.

I think someone watched too much TFATF. I used to think that politicians were liars. Now, after listening to a "town hall call" with one of my Senators, I think they are really stoopid and liars.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
1/21/10 9:34 a.m.

Ok, i signed

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/21/10 10:21 a.m.

With local and state governments bleeding red ink, be prepared to see more of this. Remember the DEA property seizure laws? Cha ching!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/10 10:34 a.m.

Still it doesn't explain why Joe Boozehound can keep his car even with 15 priors for DUI

Vigo
Vigo Reader
1/21/10 10:37 a.m.

We got some of that down here in Texas... but i suppose ridiculous fines for things im not likely to get caught at are better than getting nickel and dimed to death when cash-strapped localities discover they can sell taxpayer-built road infrastructure to toll road companies with 50-year contracts.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/21/10 10:52 a.m.

We just missed out on one like that in Florida. State wanted to lease Alligator Alley to an invesyment company that announced it would raise toll to four times present. It got shot down. If they had kept their mouths shut, it would have gone through.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
1/21/10 11:06 a.m.

I signed it even though I don't live in Ohio. That is freakin' insanity.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qWFA8hJQVjYtM1qH12HLFm6bAqqMM9i1xh6QdL28M2357Q8o45jYeORmluyF4FzJ