1 2 3
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/23/24 4:52 p.m.
feature_image

How does up to 510 horsepower, a top speed of 163 mph, and a zero-to-60 in 2.9 seconds for $45,490 (after $7500 tax rebate) sound? That's what the new Tesla Model 3 Performance offers in an effort to deliver the “perfect, high-performance daily driver.”

It uses the revise…

Read the rest of the story

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/23/24 5:03 p.m.

Yes please!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/23/24 5:07 p.m.

That's staggeringly quick for the money

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
4/23/24 5:40 p.m.

Most people can't handle 0-60 in 8 seconds, so yes, please give them a 4,500lb car that can do it in 2.9.

I hear their new roadster they're working on will do it in 0.9, but most people are not in the kind of shape acceleration like that requires.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/23/24 5:48 p.m.

The original Model 3 Performance was over $80,000 when fully optioned and delivered, so it's wild to see this one going for so much less.  Everyone else continues to hike prices -- have you priced a new M3/M4 or Panamera?

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/23/24 6:18 p.m.

Since Tesla doesn't seem to do model years, how does one know if the car they are shopping is a "new" M3P with all these upgrades, an old one without them, or something in between? Certainly looks like a compelling package. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
4/23/24 6:19 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

New headlights, tail lights, seats, rear screen. 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/23/24 6:29 p.m.

Looks like the only exciting color (red) is a $2,000 option and there are destination and order fees but still seems like a good deal. Especially with so many traditional fun cars selling over MSRP. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/23/24 7:51 p.m.

That's only $3k more than we paid for our dual motor in 2019, not counting inflation - and the tax credits for us are $12,500. Killer deal.

This thing is going to be a hell of an autocrosser. A friend who works in Tesla chassis said "no comment" when asked about the staggered tire sizes, so I suspect step 1 will be to square it up. Love the aero improvements as well.

CrashDummy, the free colors change from time to time. When we got ours, black was $0. Now it's $1500. I think red was free for a while recently. Keep your eyes open. 

If you're looking at used, I believe you can  get all the build date data from the car via the screen or the app. I know you can get specs and warranty info that way. Kinda like an Apple laptop. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/23/24 8:45 p.m.

*scoffs in boosted to the moon E36 M3box* laugh

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/23/24 9:17 p.m.

Looks like a decent prospect. I did test drive the new refreshed Model 3 and its nice but I just hate the fact it doesn't have the stalks anymore.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
4/23/24 9:45 p.m.

It looks like an incredible amount of performance for the money.  I hope this inspires Honda/VW/Toyota/GM/etc. to release competitors to a hot sedan/hatch, rather than more EV CUVs (we have enough of those :P). 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/23/24 10:50 p.m.

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

They may be retrofittable. I hope so. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/24/24 6:35 a.m.

Harry's Garage did a review of the revised Model 3 in his latest video.  He reviewed the single motor version so it doesn't have the same performance level but the rest of it is going to be the same.  He had some praise for it, but there were complaints as well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFc0BtfsIX8

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
4/24/24 12:49 p.m.

OLDYLR
OLDYLR Dork
4/24/24 1:10 p.m.

Love the new seats, always been a thought that I had was why they didn't offer a different seat in the performance model.  Not that they are uncomfortable but could have used a bit more bolstering.  

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UberDork
4/24/24 1:20 p.m.

The performance numbers look great. I think the body is decent-looking. I have no problem with incrementally improving a car. I don't believe a redesign is needed for the 3 to be competitive or revolutionary. I have never liked, nor ever will like, a central screen for all functions in a car. I want my driver's gauges in front of me. Switches are necessary and better for some car functions. Like, turn signals and HVAC controls.  

Since Elon is a proven liar, see "full self driving" and other statements, I'll sit back and see what is the outcome of this. The cybertruck was heavily hyped and has shown to be a massive, and dangerous, disappointment. Also, it's butt ugly.

This is coming from an unapologetic EV fan. I'm very intrigued with the Rivian RX3 and the Ioniq 5 N. I think the new age of democratized performance has truly begun. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/24/24 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Xceler8x :

If you want gauges in front of you, you can do that with CANdash - written by a friend of mine. In real life, about the only thing you really need to be monitoring is speed. It's not like engine RPM or temperature is all that important, and if you set the HVAC to auto it just works. There are more switches than you think, they're just not shotgunned all over the interior. The turn signals are on a switch that's mounted to the wheel instead of a stalk, more like a motorcycle. Not sure I'd prefer that over a stalk, but hey - it's a switch.

The Cybertruck is technically a pretty impressive piece of work. Terrible platform to put that tech in, but the engineering is really good. I wish that tech was in a Model 2 instead. The new Model 3 platform addresses some things that couldn't be done incrementally, such as significant aero improvements. Also, someone at Tesla woke up and realized that the mass market doesn't understand invisible incremental improvements, the market needs something visibly different to understand progress. Thus the new styling.

H2OPro
H2OPro New Reader
4/24/24 1:32 p.m.

So when will you get one to the Firm for hit laps????

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/24/24 1:39 p.m.
Slippery said:

That is the most soul crushing, orwellian, and bland interior I've ever seen. 

Seriously, if you get excited about that interior, you probably enjoy this kind of workspace. 

At least you get performance at that price point. To each their own. I can't wait to hear all the Elon/Tesla fan bois justify or recommend modifications that can fix the blandness of the interior. 

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UberDork
4/24/24 2:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Xceler8x :

If you want gauges in front of you, you can do that with CANdash - written by a friend of mine. In real life, about the only thing you really need to be monitoring is speed. It's not like engine RPM or temperature is all that important, and if you set the HVAC to auto it just works. There are more switches than you think, they're just not shotgunned all over the interior. The turn signals are on a switch that's mounted to the wheel instead of a stalk, more like a motorcycle. Not sure I'd prefer that over a stalk, but hey - it's a switch.

The Cybertruck is technically a pretty impressive piece of work. Terrible platform to put that tech in, but the engineering is really good. I wish that tech was in a Model 2 instead. The new Model 3 platform addresses some things that couldn't be done incrementally, such as significant aero improvements. Also, someone at Tesla woke up and realized that the mass market doesn't understand invisible incremental improvements, the market needs something visibly different to understand progress. Thus the new styling.

Keith, mad respect to you but I shouldn't have to build my own dash on a 50k+ car. I like what every other manufacturer has and that's a driver's focused set of gauges. Even if I don't need more than a speedo, I want it. Range estimator is just one thing I can think of. 

I rode motorcycles. I want a turn signal stalk in a car. FYI - I didn't like riding BMW motorcycles as their turn signal setup was not what I was used to. I preferred the more standard motorcycle switch gear like other motorcycles. 

I get the cybertruck, from an engineering perspective, is impressive. It is. Due to Elon's habit of making false statements and business practices, skepticism is warranted here. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/24/24 2:17 p.m.

In reply to Xceler8x :

I'm just saying there are ways to modify it to get it the way you like it. It shouldn't be necessary to buy suspension upgrades for a Porsche either but hey, the market exists. I haven't personally found it any more difficult to glance down and right than just glancing down when I want to check speed and range, but I know some people want something different.

And I agree that a turn indicator stalk makes more sense on a car than a button on the wheel. But it is still technically a switch :)

Skepticism about the performance of the 3 is probably misplaced. The previous gen was pretty well proven and it's pretty easy for reviewers like Camissa to double-check the claims. Skepticism about future product and timelines, definitely.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/24/24 4:33 p.m.

They say there's sophistication in simplification. However, a minimalist approach to design can also make it seem cold, uninspiring or, at the very worst, uninviting.

Oddly enough, though, whenever I'm in a Tesla, I don't notice the simple approach to the seating. My focus is usually on the road ... and ... yes ... the screen.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
4/24/24 4:36 p.m.

Sounds incredible. I was blown away by the P90D I drove a few years ago. And at that price, it's just nuts the kind of performance you get.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/24/24 5:29 p.m.

Eh, I'm not a fan of Tesla's minimalist interiors, either, but different strokes for different folks. And the good news is that this thing will force the other EV makers to raise their games to match it. When I do eventually buy an EV, it won't be a Tesla. But the fact that Tesla is out there pushing the envelope means that it will be a considerably better car than it would have been without them in the market.

Also, let's face it, Tesla needed a win. The last few months haven't been great for them, with falling sales, layoffs, Elon's antics, and the Cybertruck's problems.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uL6K2alOckL1QF1tWNSM7Bl8Hb6C0UDSaoGQHXW2IQIheC8awcgDKpjDZugR18rs