1 2 3
Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/7/09 7:29 p.m.

I've mentioned this a few times in different threads but I'll formally introduce it here.

It's actually a 1991 Toyota MR2. But I call it the Terrarium because of all the creepy crawlers I found in it. The guy at DangerZone was pretty confused when he asked me what Toyota model it was and I responded, "Terrarium."

I picked it up for a cool $500. All it needs is a clutch...and a bath, and a lot of cleaning. Everything works, it's very complete, very original and there's not a dent on it.

It was parked at the bottom of a driveway for 2 years with the passenger door cracked and a berm of top soil, leaves, and animals on it. The interior was horrible, it smelled like nature...a damp, rotten wilderness.

I have so far stripped the interior completely, power washed, scrubbed, shampooed, scrubbed, Iysoled, and reinstalled it. It now smells and looks as good as new.

I haven't done anything on the exterior other then brush the nature off, you can see little zig-zaggy worm tracks on the paint. Dispite being covered in moisture, there's no rust.

It does run really well but getting it home was quite the adventure and I can posted if anyone is interested, it's quite a long read though.

I don't have any "before" pictures, and this is, sadly, an "after" picture. You'll have to take my word that I've made a lot of progress. This picture makes the car look a lot cleaner than it is, it is filthy, and a lot more pink than it is. Also, my garage is small and the lens on the point and shoot camera isn't very wide, so this is what you get.

Living up to it's name sake again! Here is a mouse nest that is in between the shift linkage and the starter (removed in this picture). Mice bring the tally up to 9 different animals found. So far.

The interior completely clean of filth, mold, mildew, and animals. Shifter boot missing, more on that later.

The original shift boot had fallen apart and the rest of it was completely gross, so I made a new one out of a heavy cotton from an old pair of work pants. (read: Free Dollars)

Test fit before the glue. Don't worry, that front corner will be tucked in.

Plans are to fix it, then run rallycross all this coming season.

P71
P71 HalfDork
1/7/09 8:11 p.m.

Sweet!

pigeon
pigeon Reader
1/7/09 8:14 p.m.
Carson wrote: It does run really well but getting it home was quite the adventure and I can posted if anyone is interested, it's quite a long read though.

Post it!

PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
1/7/09 8:15 p.m.

The paint looks like it will come back with a little buffing. I'm not sure where you are, but up here in the northeast, I can get a car cleaned/detailed and buffed for $100-200 depending upon how terrible it is to begin with.

Looks like you did all of the hardest work. I would look for an auto detailing service. Ask local car dealers who they use - I've found that the detailers that do wholesale work tend to be not only cheaper, but also better than the retail ones.

They will clean and buff and polish everything. You won't recognize the car when you pick it up!

Good luck - looks like a cool project.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
1/7/09 8:37 p.m.

From the magazine who brought you The World's Grossest Miata, and The Country's Nastiest Impreza Interior, comes... The World's Grossest MR2!

Rallycrossing it? Good idea. Keep it dirty!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/7/09 8:40 p.m.

Post it to reader rides

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
1/7/09 8:53 p.m.
PorschesOnTheCheap wrote: The paint looks like it will come back with a little buffing. I'm not sure where you are, but up here in the northeast, I can get a car cleaned/detailed and buffed for $100-200 depending upon how terrible it is to begin with. Looks like you did all of the hardest work. I would look for an auto detailing service. Ask local car dealers who they use - I've found that the detailers that do wholesale work tend to be not only cheaper, but also better than the retail ones. They will clean and buff and polish everything. You won't recognize the car when you pick it up! Good luck - looks like a cool project.

Spending $200 to detail a $500 car sounds odd to me. I actually like buffing my beaters once in awhile. Seems like they run better after a spit shine.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/7/09 9:18 p.m.

Oh, I plan on buffing it myself. I cleaned a 5" dia. spot and polished it with some carnauba and the shine came back, I know it'll shine after a wash and buff.

Tim, I knew you were going to say that! I'll post it as soon as I can pull it out of the garage and get a full shot, hopefully that means next week. I actually have a lot more done on the car, just no pictures yet.

I'm going to post the getting it home adventure shortly.

PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
1/7/09 9:28 p.m.

It's been my experience that sometimes spending $200 to detail a $500 car magically attracts someone who wants to give me $1500 for that $500 car...when I'm not even trying to sell it.

My point is that sometimes spending $200 to polish the $500 car nets you a $1500 car that you own for $700.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/7/09 9:39 p.m.

Recovery story:

Ackhem, so, I thought this would be a simple recovery. Not so. The P.O. said I should be able to nurse it home with the existing clutch. Not so.

Let me start from the beginning. My younger brother, Jake, and I headed up to north Raleigh for lunch to pick up the car in mid December. It's cold and as soon as we pull up to the car it starts raining. We got to the car and I aired up the tires with a portable air tank while my bro cleaned the glass. The glass (and car) was (were) covered in dirt and not sap like I thought when I first saw and purchased the car, so Windex cleaned it up no problem. After the tires were aired and the glass cleaned we jumped the car and let it idle. It had been sitting but the owner started it and ran it on occasion. Since the outside glass was done, Jake moved to the interior which smelled like mildew I like to think of it as smelling like nature, a gross, rotten, decaying, damp forest. Which is sometimes a nice smell except when it is coming from inside of the car.

Since there was moisture in the car. I asked Jake to turn on the rear defrost. As soon as he did the car cut out. We spent the next 45 minutes getting the car to start again, the battery was beyond dead, cables were corroded and I'm sure the moisture wasn't helping the electrics.

Finally we get it to start. I tell Jake I'm going to start going and try to move, the clutch finally builds up enough friction to move around 6500 RPM. I get to the end of the pretty steep driveway and keep going, there's no way I'm stopping since I'm about to bounce the car off the rev limiter and I'm just crawling. Jake sprints to his car to follow in pursuit.

I get to the end of the street, a long uphill street at that, and the car cuts out. I let the car back down the road and get off the road into somebody's front yard. We jump the car again, fires right up this time, a good sign. 6500 RPM crawl out into the street.

Get out on the main road, I'm humming along at 5-6000 going maybe 20mph and it stinks of clutch. Crest the top of the hill, barely and then there is a big intersection with a lot of cars, by now, the high school has just gotten out. The P.O. lives across the street from the high school. As soon as I see the intersection the car cuts out, I let the clutch out in 4th hoping to jump start it from a roll. With the clutch out, I don't slow at all! The clutch is wayyyyyy gone. I try to get off the road before I stop rolling but I make it to the corner of the intersection, blocking traffic.

Jake goes up the street and drives against traffic on the shoulder so he can try to jump me. While he's doing this I pop the front hood to expose the battery. I'm sure some knowledgeable (smart ass) high school kids were wondering why I was staring under the front hood of a mid-engined sports car. ("No wonder the car won't start there's no engine!" haha) The car won't jump so Jake helps me push it around the corner and onto the shoulder. As soon as it goes onto the shoulder I realize we are now in about a 1.5" sticky mud.

Try to start the car again, I'm about to give up since I'm pretty sure the clutch won't let it go anywhere. There is a shopping center on the opposite corner of the intersection so Jake and I figure out how best to get it there in all the traffic. We figure out the best way is to cut across and then go in the center through the exit only lane, (a curbed in 100 yard drive) it's about a 1/4 mile push, with cars behind us, honking and yelling, haha. It's still raining.

On the road the push was going well, a lot of adrenaline pumping. Once we made it into the Rite-Aid parking lot, we both crashed, our energy was gone and we felt really nauseated. Good thing we ended up at a Rite-Aid! We must have looked horrible because the cashier looked at us terrified and asked if we were alright as soon as we came in. We were cold, shaking, tired, and our noses and ears were red. After we got Gatorade, we were still feeling pretty out of it but I wanted to talk to a manager to tell her that my car was broken down and to give her my contact info so it wouldn't get towed. Honestly, how dirty it is and how many spiderwebs were inside made it already look like and abandoned vehicle.

So after all that excitement, Jake took me back to work. My "one hour errand" quickly became 2.75 hours.

After work, Jake's friend's dad, the guy who always gets my cars (he has a truck and trailer, something I should get instead of inoperable cars) went to get it with me and Jake and my youngest brother, Kyle.

It's home and safe but I now have another adventure story about collecting a car.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/7/09 9:43 p.m.
PorschesOnTheCheap wrote: It's been my experience that sometimes spending $200 to detail a $500 car magically attracts someone who wants to give me $1500 for that $500 car...when I'm not even trying to sell it. My point is that sometimes spending $200 to polish the $500 car nets you a $1500 car that you own for $700.

I agree, but think about how much better it'll be when I spend nothing on detailing it by doing it myself and then netting a $1500 car that I own for $500!

Plus I'm going to rallycross the E36 M3 out of it so it'll be dirty most of the time anyway. Maybe I'll spend that $200 at the end of the season for a good detail then pass it on to another GRMer to enjoy for cheap here!

92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/8/09 1:15 a.m.

Ya do know this is BABE Rally legal with picking it up for that price tag? You might have to pack very creatively for a week though..

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/8/09 6:21 a.m.

those are great cars. good score!

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
1/8/09 7:05 a.m.

That's a great story and a really good score!

Strangely enough it also reminded me to expand my "local" CL searches to include the NC research triangle area, since my brother moved down there...

924guy
924guy HalfDork
1/8/09 7:43 a.m.

welcome to GrassSeedMotorsports..a small and eclectic group who begin their projects by digging their cars out of holes, evicting local wildlife, and removing vegetation and various forms of fungi.... been there...still there...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
1/8/09 8:17 a.m.

You just salvaged the Japanese Ferrari. A very undervalued sports car right there.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/8/09 9:41 a.m.
PorschesOnTheCheap wrote: The paint looks like it will come back with a little buffing. I'm not sure where you are, but up here in the northeast, I can get a car cleaned/detailed and buffed for $100-200 depending upon how terrible it is to begin with.

That would probably fall under the $125-$150 range for me to do. 5-6 hour lovefest on the exterior.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/8/09 10:24 a.m.

Good score, around here they sell for at least $1500 no matter what is wrong with them.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/8/09 10:36 a.m.
92dxman wrote: Ya do know this is BABE Rally legal with picking it up for that price tag? You might have to pack very creatively for a week though..

I'm actually really surprised by the amount of trunk space! Mind you, I daily drive a Miata. The rear trunk is really quite large, I could easily fit a huge duffle bag. The front trunk, even with the spare tire, is about the size of the Miata's trunk.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/8/09 10:41 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Good score, around here they sell for at least $1500 no matter what is wrong with them.

Someone on MR2OC was bragging about the killer deal they got on their recent Cali purchase: '91 MR2 N/A that needed a clutch. Basically the same car as mine but his had 170k miles compared to my 130k. He paid $2500!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/8/09 10:41 a.m.

So what happened to the 9 species of animals that you displaced? I assume good homes were found for all?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/8/09 10:43 a.m.
Carson wrote:
PorschesOnTheCheap wrote: It's been my experience that sometimes spending $200 to detail a $500 car magically attracts someone who wants to give me $1500 for that $500 car...when I'm not even trying to sell it. My point is that sometimes spending $200 to polish the $500 car nets you a $1500 car that you own for $700.
I agree, but think about how much better it'll be when I spend nothing on detailing it by doing it myself and then netting a $1500 car that I own for $500! Plus I'm going to rallycross the E36 M3 out of it so it'll be dirty most of the time anyway. Maybe I'll spend that $200 at the end of the season for a good detail then pass it on to another GRMer to enjoy for cheap here!

i'd pay $1500 for it at the end of the rallyx season if you haven't destroyed it or decided to keep it by then. so long as it could be driven back from wherever you are to TX

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/8/09 10:59 a.m.
ManofFewWords wrote:
PorschesOnTheCheap wrote: The paint looks like it will come back with a little buffing. I'm not sure where you are, but up here in the northeast, I can get a car cleaned/detailed and buffed for $100-200 depending upon how terrible it is to begin with. Looks like you did all of the hardest work. I would look for an auto detailing service. Ask local car dealers who they use - I've found that the detailers that do wholesale work tend to be not only cheaper, but also better than the retail ones. They will clean and buff and polish everything. You won't recognize the car when you pick it up! Good luck - looks like a cool project.
Spending $200 to detail a $500 car sounds odd to me. I actually like buffing my beaters once in awhile. Seems like they run better after a spit shine.

Ive noticed the same thing! Im kind of a mess, but when I do clean up the car, it does seem to run better!

Joey

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/8/09 11:20 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: So what happened to the 9 species of animals that you displaced? I assume good homes were found for all?

I'm an animal lover and a vegetarian, good homes were found. Most were insects, aracnidids, and chilopods.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/8/09 11:41 a.m.
joey48442 wrote:
ManofFewWords wrote:
Ive noticed the same thing! Im kind of a mess, but when I do clean up the car, it does seem to run better! Joey

i think its that i enjoy driving a car more when i've taken if from looking somewhat ragged, to looking pretty darn nice. i did the whole wash, clay bar, wax thing on mine a while back and it was pretty satisfying to be able to see the changes that a couple of hours work can impart on your car

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dSjvNGl5WkE52wf3oGQpMOkjBoX7xJr42lk4o4i0CpqveactYrnI6mQzXGCklWiC