FlightService
FlightService Reader
12/13/10 2:04 p.m.

Maybe we will get what Top Gear U.S. was supposed to be. Looks interesting Report: Adam Carolla, Dan Neil to host Speed Channel pilot

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Reader
12/13/10 2:41 p.m.

Well, if it's on SPEED, don't expect any car bashing because of the advertising required to air the shows.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
12/13/10 4:00 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Well, if it's on SPEED, don't expect any car bashing because of the advertising required to air the shows.

I don't think Dan Niel would sign on if he could not criticize a car in any way, shape or fashion. He doesn't need the show, they need him. You don't win the only pulitzer prize in automotive journalism by being a yes man.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/13/10 4:47 p.m.

Time will tell, but they need to come up with a uniquely US style

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/13/10 4:54 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Time will tell, but they need to come up with a uniquely US style

Wife beaters and mullets, whats more American than that?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/13/10 5:50 p.m.

Oh hells yeah, in a Camero with T tops and Number 24 on the door

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/13/10 5:54 p.m.

Not holding my breath that it will be even half as good as TG USA. Adam just doesn't do it for me. He's a big detraction, not an attraction.

Also notice it's not a a done deal yet.

Tac
Tac New Reader
12/13/10 6:23 p.m.

I think this show should be good, the problem with TG USA is that Tanner is the only true car guy of the bunch. I'm not sure about John Sally, but we all know the rest of the guys are hardcore auto enthusiasts.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
12/13/10 6:32 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Adam just doesn't do it for me. He's a big detraction, not an attraction.

Same here. Corolla has real car guy credentials - and likes datsuns (!!!) - but he doesn't entertain me.

Tac wrote: the problem with TG USA is that Tanner is the only true car guy of the bunch.

Tanner may be the only driver, but Rutledge is restoring a 1983 civic wagon and owns an old datsun pickup. He's fairly GRM.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress New Reader
12/13/10 6:36 p.m.

But Rutledge is annoying to listen to and comes across all douchy.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
12/13/10 6:51 p.m.

YMMV, but I think he's the funniest of the three.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/13/10 7:09 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Tanner may be the only driver, but Rutledge is restoring a 1983 civic wagon and owns an old datsun pickup. He's fairly GRM.

story time, since I have a few minutes before MNF....

neither agreeing nor disagreeing, but my cousin has an early-80s Subaru DL turbo wagon that he is having (e.g. paying someone to) restored to "like new" condition. Note that he is not a "car guy" and doubtful he knows how to change his oil, much less fix anything on one. The guy could probably buy himself an Audi S4 wagon with cash (he makes big $$) But he gets this kinda-rusty old Subaru wagon....??

In any case, I got all excited, because being a subaru guy, and one-time DL owner myself, I think maybe he wants to rallycross it or something. LOL. Nope, he's a straight shooter and more or less just told me that he just wants it for the style. He's into retro fashion, mussy hair, and crap like that. Doesn't really care what he drives for himself, as long as it is unusual and people will think it's cool in an old-skool kind of way (his last car was a crappy Bricklin). He's even having it repainted with the old T U R B O graphics along the door.

But again, point is he's doing all for the look, just like the shirts he pays $200 for but they look like he got them at the thrift store. He cares not about the car, it's history or capability, or whether it's fun to drive. Just wants to look different.

This is the vibe I get from Rutledge as well. Maybe it's real, or maybe it's just fitting his "retro-geek-chic" image he's trying to portray. Who knows.....Only difference being my cuz is not geeky at all and can probably get any woman he wants in a crowded bar, lol. He probably tells him his DL is a special Japanese-spec limited edition model or something and they buy it, lol....

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
12/17/10 8:33 a.m.

I really enjoy Adam Carolla, and also enjoy John Sally's podcast (oddly enough on Adam Carolla's podcast network). Not sure of Sally's auto credentials, but he is entertaining. I think TG US would have been ten times better if they hadn't swapped Adams. Ferrera is by far the worst part of the show.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/17/10 8:39 a.m.

The only exposure I've had to Dan Neil is occasionally reading his newspaper column...I wasn't impressed.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/17/10 9:13 a.m.
camaroz1985 wrote: I think TG US would have been ten times better if they hadn't swapped Adams. Ferrera is by far the worst part of the show.

I agree with the weak link, but swapping Adams would have just swapped weak links. The only thing is you'd have had an assertive - look at me - weak link which would have done more to undermine the show.

I think Adam West would have been better than either of the other Adams mentioned, but actually I think there's some genetic disposition in any one named Adam towards mediocrity (first Adam excluded). How about trying someone with a different name. That would open up the options.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/17/10 6:02 p.m.
LainfordExpress wrote: But Rutledge is annoying to listen to and comes across all douchy.

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm becoming more of a fan the more I see him on TGUS.

Plus, he has excellent, GRM-spec taste in cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VuTc6cnV2gYHzlaJpmQ3KRyxi5M0wHCHJNWXf5o33Th6xJCZufXqx1M6YUOTMUPd